iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Oiler Attachment

Started by TexasTimbers, April 11, 2007, 05:27:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TexasTimbers

Let me ask a different way. Is it possible to enhance the oiling at the end of a 6' bar somehow without adding a stinger handle to accomodate an auxiliary oiler?

I can't imagine how. I need to do some freehanding with this thing but do not think it wise to not have oil coming in at the end of the bar somehow.

I guess another way of asking would be -  do you think I would be safe milling with a 6' bar without an aux oiler?
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

TexasTimbers

I am bumping again to see if I can get some ideas on this by asking it a different way.

Tony_T

For chainsaw milling I've heard good things about adding a water dripping attachment.  Checkout the forums on the logosol website for some info on this.

Al_Smith

It's doubtfull you could get enough oil using a standard oil pump.Alan Combs,who sells plans for the "Pro Works" chainsaw mill,covers these auxillery oilers pretty well.Baileys or one of the other sponsers may in fact have them in their catalogs or web sites as well.

I do know in my own sheltered life that a 125 Mac,for example,will oil a 48" bar with no problem at all,while bucking a big log.If however that same set up is used to cut a big stump,it requires addilional oil via the thumb oiler,and a lot of it.Something about running horizontal,especially with a long bar,that requires a much greater oil output.

TexasTimbers

Al, I only get 3 results on a google. Just one of them is the correct Alan Combs Pro Works, and it is a reference to where you are discussing it in another FF thread. :)

Any other ideas on how to locate this info.?

Al_Smith

I'm not sure what this sites policy is regarding posting links.That said,if you "google" a site called the "milling masters" which I think has affiliation with this site,it will direct you towards him.

fuzzybear

Kevjay, when you say free hand, are you milling or bucking? Milling (like with and alaskan) I would most definatly add a drip oiler. They are easy enough to make with pieces from the hardware store. I just made a shield out of sheet metal ( ok it was a tuna fish can...I live in the bush :D) then fitted a line with a petcock. That way I could adjust the oil flow depending on conditions.
Just another quick question....Whatcha cuttin wit a 6' bar? 
I never met a tree I didn't like!!

TexasTimbers

Fuzzy,

What I am sayin when I say I am gonna freehand it, is I am gonna take my skid steer and wrap a chain around a spalted red oak i have already cut down. . . 5 of them actually of varying sizes the smallest having about a 24" trunk and branching out after the crotch to about 49". See I am taking table slabs out of these logs and keeping the trunk, the crotch, and a short poertion of each limb right after the split (crotch). the largest one I took out of the field is about 36" across the trunk and opens to right at 72" across where the crotch ends and also leaving two little stubs of the branches.

back to what i was saying, I'm gonna wrap a chain around these things and stand them up. Yep my bottom cut has to be flat. Then, I am gonna stand on a ladder, with the ladder behind me and me facing away from the ladder and toward the upright log, and I am going to start my cut into the top where the forked branches are just above the crotch; this is the widest part of the job.

i can visulaize exactly what i have to do, and I know i can hold the saw and bar extended out in midair long enough to get the blade started good in the wood before I let the saw sort of work itself down into the wood. What i don't know is, how well i will be able to control the saw and make a fairly straight cut. We will see but I know it can be done so I figure I can do it too. But maybe not. It is going to be a hurculean chore from what I have been told and read. Whatever the case I am going to get those slabs out and drying by hook or by crook.

sawguy21

:o I would be too scared to try slabbing from the ladder like that.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

fuzzybear

I only have two things to say at this point.
  #1 I hope you have a real good insurance policy.
  #2 USE AN ALASKAN SAWMILL and save your back (and arms and legs and head :D)
I never met a tree I didn't like!!

Thank You Sponsors!