iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Playing Possum

Started by Bibbyman, March 10, 2015, 08:17:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bibbyman

I'm not sure if outdoor topics is the place to post this or under sawmill and milling. 

Yesterday morning I walked into the sawshed to see a possum laying there dead.  My first thought was that the dowg killed it.  But she's getting so old she can hardly bight a biscuit.   I should have made a video of the possum's last few feet of life.  There was the wiggly tail trail with little hand prints on each side.  Then for no reason I could see, there was a skid mark to the left where it slid down a little bank of sawdust. Its nose was pointing back towards the trail.  I thought maybe it was playing possum but I bumped it with my toe and it was stiff.  Good act of playing dead!  There was no damage or any sign of a struggle.  From all appearances,   it was walking along and fell over dead.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

WmFritz

Sounds like it was time to punch Mr Possums ticket.
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

tmarch

Seriously hope I go the same way, I've watched too many wasting away in a rest home. 
Retired to the ranch, saw, and sell solar pumps.

clww

Maybe he layed down for a nap and never woke up.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Magicman

Reckon that possums can die of "natural" causes too.   smiley_headscratch
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

gfadvm

Don't discount your old dog. My 19 year old Jack Russell was deaf and blind when she brought a dead mole into the shop to show me. She passed in her sleep a few weeks later. I'd post the pic of her with it, but I just can't figure out how to post on this site.

WV Sawmiller

Great to see you guys back on the forum. I have missed you.

I guess a possum could die of natural causes but I thought they usually just committed suicide on the highways.

We stopped in the snow the other day to take pictures of a couple of deer and a possum ran down the road to us then out across the snow. Weather has been real harsh on the wildlife here until last day or so and I guess he was out foraging. I hope the heavy acorn crop sees the wildlife through. They were in real good shape when the winter started.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

beenthere

Quote from: gfadvm on March 10, 2015, 10:54:43 PM
........... I'd post the pic of her with it, but I just can't figure out how to post on this site.

And your own quote "Barely computer literate but anxious to learn" in your profile. 
So with that, may I direct you to the Home page and near the bottom you will find the pretty easy directions to post pics here.

But if there is anything that hangs you up, just give a shout back and someone will help you get over the hump. As long as you have pics in .jpg format in your computer, you should be good to go for putting the ones you want to post into your gallery.
Give it a shot, you will be glad you did and we can see the pic of your dog.  8)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Bibbyman

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on March 10, 2015, 11:45:05 PM
Great to see you guys back on the forum. I have missed you.

I'm here every day watching.  Just not a lot to say.  Done said it all, I recon.
Sawing since '94

thecfarm

Bibbyman,  ;D   funny about saying it all.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Bibbyman

Quote from: thecfarm on March 11, 2015, 05:55:16 AM
Bibbyman,  ;D   funny about saying it all.

Well,  I hit the sawmill section and and its like this. There are always one or more questions that have been ask and answered many times.   Then there are ones that have already been answered adequately that my input would be redundant.   Then there are those where I don't have input.  Then there are the big open ended questions like, "What blade do you use and why? ", that I don't waste my time on.

I guess I could add a  :) and go on.
Sawing since '94

red

So you are Playing Possum
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Bibbyman

Quote from: red on March 11, 2015, 07:20:32 AM
So you are Playing Possum

Yea, but I'm not cold and stiff like the possum in this story.   But then again,  this winter has been a tough one on me.
Sawing since '94

Magicman

It has already been mentioned above, but seeing your post is always a highlight for me.

You Sir, and your sawing experiences, knowledge, and willingness to share was a driving force in motivating me to join the FF.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

bhall

Bibbyman, though I be new, believe me when I tell you that what Lynn said is also true for me, you sir are one of the primary reasons that I ( a not too social backwoods farm boy ) joined this forum, and I want to take this opportunity to thank you for your wisdom & inspiration.
Best Regards, Bob
97 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic/Lombardini
Life is good on the Catawba path

Chuck White

You just hang around here Bibby.

Some of us miss your words of wisdom!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

gfadvm

Beenthere, I appreciate your encouragement. I watched Jeff's instructional videos AGAIN and still don't get it.  I can take pics, put em in my computer, post em on Craigslist and other sites but just ain't happening on the FF.  Maybe I can get my wife motivated to do them for me (she's a lot smarter than I am).  In the mean time I enjoy looking at others comments and pics (and learning a lot).

Magicman

On other sites, you put the picture directly on that site.  Here you upload the picture to your gallery which stores and maintains the future integrity of the pictures posted here.  From your gallery, just click on the selected picture and then scroll down to click the two bubbles to actually move the picture's address to your post.  Click "Preview" and you can scroll up and view your post and picture as it will be appear in the Reply.  Click "Post" to complete the posting process.

gfadvm

Magicman, Thanks but I'm hopeless.  I think I'll just e mail my picks to Danny and he can post em!

Thank You Sponsors!