iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Trucking $$

Started by jd540b, March 12, 2014, 11:36:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jd540b

Hey, just wondering what other guys are getting or paying for trucking in Maine.  Short vs. long hauls, etc.  Per thousand, and per ton.  My trucker said he needs 17/ton and 80/ thousand if I want to keep him.  My pulp hauls are long-from the coast and to Jay-but boy I'm torn whether to pay it or shop around.  All my wood is loader piled so it's pretty much in and out for him. Usually takes no more than 1/2 hr to get in load and out with center mount trailer. 

Dave Shepard

I think the tri-axles are about $60 a thousand around here for local hauls. Not that there are many doing it. Most are mill owned rigs.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Woodboogah

I was just going to post this same question.  I was wondering what trucking fees were per thousand or about the average going rate.  I am trying to line up some mud work and I am debating if its going to be worth moving equipment.  They are short hauls (less then 15 miles round trip) all saw logs no pulp.  I am keeping the pulp for campers to buy.  I have more but dont wnat to hijack the original thread.  Hope this can help both of us. 
Keenan Logging & Tree Care, LLC

thecfarm

jd540b,from the coast to Jay,shortest trip around 2-2½ one way,than up to more than 4 hours?? Time,mileage,has a lot to do with amount too. But also is your trucker there when you need him too?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offthebeatenpath

My trucker charges $55 per thousand for saw logs and gives me $22 per ton for pulp.  Although he works for a well respected and much larger logging company, he's here whenever I need him.  The logging company that he works for simply adds my logs to his mill contracts so I get paid by the trucking/logging company, minimizing my paperwork. I do see all slips though, obviously. Logs are well stacked in the yard, but he loads himself.

I'm less than an hour from the pulp mill in Jay and about an hour from Irving in Dixfield. I know that makes a huge difference.
1985 JD 440D, ASV tracked skid steer w/ winch, Fecon grapple, & various attachments, Hitachi CG-30 tracked dump truck, CanyCom S25 crawler carrier, Volvo EC35C mini-ex, Kubota 018-4 mini-ex, Cormidi 100 self loading tracked dumper, various other little trail building machines and tools...

David-L

You my friend are lucky to have those mills close. here in mass it is long to anywhere and you wait for checks.

David l
In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

NS logging

I think your trucker is a little high.  I have been sending wood from midcoast  to Madison for 14/ton; but if he is dependable it probably isn't worth shopping

snowstorm

Quote from: jd540b on March 12, 2014, 11:36:05 AM
Hey, just wondering what other guys are getting or paying for trucking in Maine.  Short vs. long hauls, etc.  Per thousand, and per ton.  My trucker said he needs 17/ton and 80/ thousand if I want to keep him.  My pulp hauls are long-from the coast and to Jay-but boy I'm torn whether to pay it or shop around.  All my wood is loader piled so it's pretty much in and out for him. Usually takes no more than 1/2 hr to get in load and out with center mount trailer.
at 17 a ton you are paying plenty. on sp fir at 4100 lbs per cd thats $34.85 but for hw at 4900lbs its $41.65 per cd

Ken

I'm not sure how far you are away from the pulpmill but the trucks around here need in the neighborhood of $100/hr while travelling.  Keep in mind that most semis will burn $40-50/fuel every hour on the road. 
Lots of toys for working in the bush

Woodboogah

David-L are you sending your pulp to Jay?  That's where mine gets sent and the trucker is guaranteed 30 tons.  I believe its 5 hours one way. 
Keenan Logging & Tree Care, LLC

Maine logger88

17 per ton to jay is a little pricy but not unreasonable 80 per thousand for logs is certainly too much if just going to Robbins or one of the local log yards 50 or 60 is more like it
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

lumbertick

we get 17 per cord for 0-10 miles then goes up a $1 every ten miles after that.. dont matter if its logs or pulp... but we get atleast 20-24 cord per load... average 50 ton of wood on a load

Thank You Sponsors!