iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Solar Kiln Operation

Started by Tree Feller, September 24, 2012, 08:54:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tree Feller

I see lots of pics here of loaded solar kilns where the lumber ends are no where close to the kiln walls and there is nothing blocking that space.

With such a large open area at both ends of the stack, won't the forced air from the fan(s) take that route rather than circulating through the stickered lumber layers?

Am I missing something?
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

pineywoods

Quote from: Tree Feller on September 24, 2012, 08:54:52 PM
I see lots of pics here of loaded solar kilns where the lumber ends are no where close to the kiln walls and there is nothing blocking that space.

With such a large open area at both ends of the stack, won't the forced air from the fan(s) take that route rather than circulating through the stickered lumber layers?

Am I missing something?

In theory, it could be a problem, but in actual practice it doesn't seem to matter much..I use a piece of canvas to block off the area above stack
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Larry

Quote from: Tree Feller on September 24, 2012, 08:54:52 PM

Yes.

In my solar kiln pictured, it is built for 12' sticks.  When drying shorter I just put a piece of plywood at the end to block off that open area.  If I ever ran a half load I would also block the space on top of the stack.  I only did that a couple of times.

I think that is the same principle as any other kiln.  In my Ebac DH kiln the manufacture also called for blocking any open space.  In that one I fabricated a drop curtain type arrangement.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Thank You Sponsors!