iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I Apologize,  Harold

Started by Bro. Noble, April 03, 2004, 06:13:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bro. Noble

Deadheader,

When you were talking about them blades being so DanG good,  I just couldn't quite swallow it all------Show Me etc.

Several years ago,  I tried every kind of blade I could find.  There was not a whole lot of difference in them although I was able to pick two brands that I favored.

Well I've been a little disapointed lately  in the blades I've used since trying all those.  I bought some Red Streak and MunksforsSager blades from Menominee Saw.  Red Streak was my second choice from previous trials and the best I've found so far for our resaw.  Well I still like the RedStreak on our Woodmizer,  but those Monkey blades are a real dream come true.  I hope I like them as well after I sharpen them.

Thanks for bringing them to our attention. :)
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Fla._Deadheader

Yeah, me too Bro. Noble. It was a difficult thing to try to get members to try them Munks Blades. We couldn't believe how well they worked either. Now I wish I had made a deal with the Munks People ;D ;D

We had some re-sharpened and have a little problem. I have to check the set. I don't think the set is accurate. Every re-sharpened blade will "lead". I'm gonna check 1 new blade and a couple of re-sharps.

Don't need to apologize, I'm just glad that I could contribute something worthwhile to the forum, besides all the ranting that I do ::) ::) ;D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

smwwoody

Having troble with the monks I had resharped too
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
Pendu slab recovery system
KJ4WXC

Fla._Deadheader

Did you check the set??? I believe they are nearly as sharp as original???
   First, it is ridiculed;

smwwoody

no I have to rig up something to check the set with

any good ideas
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
Pendu slab recovery system
KJ4WXC

BBTom

Guys, could the wire edge from the grinding cause the set to be off??  I did that once in the beginning, then learned to set before sharpening.  Otherwise, maybe the wire edge itself is hard enough to stay on the blade and cause it to lead to that side.  It normally wears off on the first couple passes but if there is a buildup on the side with the edge, you might need to knock that edge off with file.  I have seen that from time to time when I didn't take a final kiss pass on the sharpener.  

Good luck, I guess I will have to try those Monk blades one of these days.  
2001 LT40HDD42RA with lubemizer, debarker, laser, accuset. Retired, but building a new shop and home in Missouri.

Fla._Deadheader

When we visited with TomC last week, we got an education in blade sharpening.

We just acquired a sharpener and setter and I am going to check the set. We were instructed to take off as little metal as possible, unless there was a major grind needed.

The Munks blades cut weal well, even after cutting 600-900 feet of lumber, as long as you didn't saw dirt or other debris.

That MAY not be the way to treat the blades, but, they just don't require changing all that much???

It'll be a week or more before we do any sawing. I will report back on my re-sharp program  ::) ;D ;D
   First, it is ridiculed;

Thank You Sponsors!