iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Black Walnut Project - Gallery

Started by Swing_blade_Andy, April 05, 2004, 10:56:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swing_blade_Andy

Guys

I just got this gallery thing up with the pics of the Black Walnut I cut up last year.

Tell me what you think?

Here is the Link:http://gallery55364.fotopic.net/c148726.html

Andrew

pasbuild

Great pics Andy, do you attach that big chain saw to your mill to cut those slabs????
How many man hours did you have into that project ???
If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Ianab

Yup... thats pretty awesome.
Lucas dedicated slabber right?
If people haven't seen one of those, it's a 24hp 4 stroke chainsaw on rails  8)
I've been cutting some big slabs of Macrocarpa cypress, but they are no where near as nice as that walnut!
I need to find me a tree like that  ;) :D

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Swing_blade_Andy

Yeh hi

No the long blade on the Stihl is just for trimming the branches or cutting off the root bowl which I choose not to do in the case (naturally). We spent a couple of days stipping the roots instead. Nasty job.

The number of manhours.... hmmm well lets just say that I am still counting them.

The Stacks are in the drying tunnel and should reach maturity in about 6 more months. By then it will have been a mightly big deal. I've got 12.5 cubic meters from this tree (thats about 460 cubic ft). I can post an inventory if anyone is interested.

I just thought that the project might help like the last poster where there was a couple of Walnut logs going.

Andrew

Larry

Nice job Andy.

I found out I could open a picture than quick on slideshow and enjoy.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Tom

I enjoyed the scenery i the background almost as much as I did the tree and the mill.   What an ellegant place.

That was a nice job.  It's good to hear of one who doesn't count the hours and minutes as much as he does the wood he saved.  :)

Furby

I'll have to second Jeff's post......WOW!

Swing_blade_Andy

Thanks for the nice words guys.

IT was truely the job we all dream about but I cost me sore. There is a lot of investment in time and money that goes in when you really want to get every last piece possible.

The Tree yielded 155 pieces - thats 120 slabs and 35 beams

The beams I cut were mostly 9 x 4" and up to 18' long
the largest slab is about 17' long, 4.5 ft wide and 4 " thick
I think that pic on is called 'Largeslabwet'.jpeg
There were 8 slabs like that from the main trunk. I found load of bullets, ball shot and iron nails in one side of it.

The remained of the slabs came from the main branches and secondary branches. I cut up everything which is thicker than your leg.

As far as the hours and stats go I'll have to go through that when the timber is all sold and see what my performace was but I'm not expecting too many shocks at this stage. It depends on how long it takes me to sell.

If anyone out there is interested in a piece or two then 'hollar' because its on the market now. All of it.

Ianab
I dont have a dedicated slabber just a slabbing attachment. Apart frome making a mess of the first bar I owned by overtensioning the chain. They work quite well.

Cheers

Andrew

Swing_blade_Andy

Does anyone know some gun manufacturers to send this link to???

Maybe they will be after a load.. of walnut that is and want to see the gallery.

Andrew

Kevin

Very nice pictures Andy, good job and well done.
Thanks for sharing them with us.

Pete J

ADfields

I would try Benelli Arms in Urbino, Italy.   They are the oldest gun maker on earth and make some very VERY high end Pisces.   I have heard of some of there new custom guns selling upward of $50,000usd and older collector guns well over $200,000usd.   I cant find a link to the plant in Urbino, Italy, you would have better luck looking from the UK I think.  

Hear is a link to Benelli Arms USA, you can e-mail them and get contact info for Italy if you find nothing. http://www.benelliusa.com/

There is also a very high end maker in the UK some place but I cant think of the name right off.   Try calling your locale hunting club, some one their would know.
Andy

Mark M

Tom

If you can assign some historical moment to the tree, it may be worth more to a gun maker.  They need stuff like that to create Specials.  Look for the hIstorical tree threads on the forum.  That's what they do.  I've cut some very historical wood for them.  Some of their latest wood went to Colt and Browning and some other specialty shops to be used for rifle stocks,pen and pencil sets and knife handles.  Even the smallest chips can be sold if you can provide historical significance.  Some woods they process themselves and sell walking sticks, paper weights and small boxes.

https://forestryforum.com/cgi-bin/board/YaBB.pl?board=general;action=display;num=1074352998;start=9

https://forestryforum.com/cgi-bin/board/YaBB.pl?board=sawmill;action=display;num=1067992416;start=0

Swing_blade_Andy

Thanks tom

I've sent of the link to them and see if they pick up some interest. Thanks also for the historical tree thread it was interesting. I guess that we are the lucky ones who are dealing with the living things (or recently living) who have actually witnessed the history others only read about. ANd they have recorded it in their own way.

I am going to be making some momentos myself. in June there is the 50th annaversary of the American landing on Omaha beach in Normandy and I think that there will be a mess of your countrymen visiting including  George W.

So there are a number of oak logs that I know of that have been felled near Cean which would probably be in the that category. I'll look them out and (if they are not absolutly riddle with bullets and stuff ) turn them ito some think that the vets can take back to remember the place and the time. Tasteful of course.

Anyway, Thanks for the interest, the help and the kind words. Any other tips will be greatfully, warmly and well received.

cheers

Andrew

Thank You Sponsors!