iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

MIlling Chain/ DannyS 's mill

Started by Danny_S, April 09, 2004, 12:49:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danny_S

Hey fellas, tried out the saw today and wondering  how you fellas file your ripping chain.  It calls for 10 and 10up. What do you file your rakers?  I found it to cut awful slow. I mean I know its not as fast as bandmill but this was terrible. about a 6" cut and I was crawling. It's a 3120.

Any suggestions?
Plasma cutting at Craig Manufacturing

Kevin

Danny_S

Kevin

Rakers are .025 -.030".
10o and 10o are correct.
Is this hardwood and how wide are you milling 6"?

Danny_S

Pine, and the first cut was about 5 - 6" across. I need to make some adjustments, but it was sawing along ok. Should a brand new chain be filed? it should be sharp from the factory I would think. The sawdust was rather fine.

Kevin

It doesn't hurt to touch up a new chain out of the box.
It should take about a couple of minutes or more to walk down a board that size at about ten feet in length..
Now that you have tried that chain you might want to try another type to compare.
I prefer a full skip chain.
Use lots of bar oil, make sure the chain has proper tension and isn't too tight ... or too loose.

Danny_S

Well the saw has to go in for the break-in tuneup soon, they say that it usually works alot better after they do that.  I measured the rakers and they are at about 20 thou so I will rub those down a hair. The way my carrige wheels ride on the rail, when the saw is pulling in a cut, makes the wheels bind a little. I need to fix that up and a few adjustments and it should work alot better. I certainly would like to try the full skip chain. Does oregon make those?

Thanks Kevin.

Lem

Dan,  "slow"? 'cording to my notes a 6"-7"cut  pine took 30-35 sec./ft., and this was w/  my old Homelite 54cc..w/Oregon 72 RL chain[10x10,.025]...ya sure should do alot better than that unless ya hava a racing restricter in that 120  :o
  Haven't run my new rig [372] yet...think'n 'bout chain to use.....form'n some questions for the forum on that.
 Later,  Lem
 [Oak,Maple ,felled about 1 year,same size cut, 60-75 sec/ft.]

redpowerd

thirty seconds a foot?
PINE?
sumpins rong
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

Danny_S

I think it was a bit better than 30 - 35 sec/ft but before I realized it ate up that 3/8 bolt,  :'(  it was running a bit dull... I heard a few weird snaps, but thought they were just knots....heheh.... now I know that sound, you can be sure I will let off the throttle really fast if I hear it again!!! She's all a learnin experience!

Kevin

Dan;
Oregon makes a full skip RA, that's what I use but if the Oregon Secret Service find out I'm talking about it I'll be in a lot of trouble so I'll pm you.
Don't run a dull chain, you'll put excess wear on your bar.

Danny_S

Isnt the RA a .404 ?

3/8 is only 72RD, 73RD, and 75RD...? I am likely wrong.......

Kevin

You are likely right but I can help you.
You have a message.

Kevin

Another option ... Rapid™ Super Full-Skip (RSF)

http://www.stihlusa.com/chainsaws/types.html

or

Windsor Chisel chain is easily maintained with standard round chain saw files. A full skip tooth version is available in APL pitch only.

http://www.windsorforestry.com/products/saw_chain/chisel_chain.shtm

Shamus

An average cut of 6-10" width in a 10' log takes me about 1 1/2 - 2 minutes to finish. Use extra lube (aux. oiler) if you can, and put shims in behind your cut as you go to keep the weight of the slab/board from piching your chain.
     Be careful with dropping your rakers, too low and you will end up with a washboard. Handy for laundry but not too pretty to look at. I find that after I resharpen the chain, my first couple of cuts tend to be a bit rippled, but then it smooths out after that.
D&L Doublecut Synchro sawmill, Procut chainsaw mill, John Deere crawler loader,  F350 4x4 flatdeck, 20 ton logsplitter, running Stihls

Danny_S

What size saw is that with Shamus? Do you hold it right to the rugs for the whole cut?... I put it right to her and never let off, other than when the chain stopped a few times in a knot. Maybe I am doing the wrong thing?

Shamus

I got me a Stihl 088, comparable to your 3120 I  believe. I have a 36" bar on her, and am using square full house chain, 3/8" .050. I run the saw at 7/8 throttle, and try not to let her bog down. I have never had the saw stop from hitting a knot though, or even when she was dining on dog.  :o
     Sounds like you are cutting petrified pine! With a saw that size, it sounds like you might have a pretty dull chain on the go. When I started milling with this setup, I wasn't sharpening often enough, and I couldn't believe how slow the saw was moving, creeping painfully slow. Heck, I even thought about throwing in the towel. Now I sharpen the chain about every 100 bd ft, or every other log-ish. Just takes a couple of strokes on each tooth with the file to freshen her up. Once you get a system it doesn't take too long, and definitley saves you time and aggravation!
     I see you built the Procut mill, same here. So you have probably seen Allen's other website: http://www.chainsawsforsawmills.com/sawchains.htm
     Nifty design overall n'est pas? My only complaint is the log dog system seems slow and awkward, and doesn't put much pressure on the wood. I put wheels on the top of two of the dogs, to help turn the log on the mill. Still trying to think of a clamping upgrade there...
D&L Doublecut Synchro sawmill, Procut chainsaw mill, John Deere crawler loader,  F350 4x4 flatdeck, 20 ton logsplitter, running Stihls

Danny_S

I need to turn up the oiler on it as well, I completely forgot about it, it is set at like 1 turn from the factory (I think) and they say 1.5 turns for a 36" bar. That will likely make a bit of difference. It seemed to have good oil though.

I really didnt build the procut per say, I have many different ideas from different mills on it. It has the head raise / lower mechanism like a norwood,... which is going to be changed. It was mounted on the front but I am moving it to the middle. It worked alot like a trailer with the axle too far ahead...It put an awkward twist on the carriage..

This is a rebuild I am going to try...  This is before...

and this is what I am going to do to it.....

This will put the weight of the saw more central and put the sideways pull on the carriage evenly on the castors. I recon it will work better. I hate to get rid of the adjuster system because it is super fast raise and lower... I love it... I dont wanna let it go!!!..  :'(

Kevin

Danny;
Open your oil full bore.
Oil is cheap compared to bars and chains.
If you plan on milling 24" plus you should consider the aux. oiler.

Danny_S

You mean the tip oiler... yea, I have a tip oiler in the works..  The saw has that extra oil feature on it as well, adds 80% more oil.... I'm sure you know about it....  

Do you wedge the cut to keep pressure off of the chain?

Kevin

Yes, just a bar thickness or a bit more.
Shims or flat stock works good.

Danny_S

I got a part of the rebuild done taday.. And boy o boy does it ever work good....

I still have to move the scale, and modify the frame a bit but It cut 100% better... no jerking around.. :)  Oh yea, it is pine, about a 7" cut, 10' log, and it was about 40 seconds.

Thank You Sponsors!