iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ya Just godda show off yer first flitch!

Started by Danny_S, April 09, 2004, 04:57:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danny_S

Hey, everyone else shows 'em off so here it is.....

That is what it is called aint it? Flitch?

Here is the mill, less the saw, the tip mount came loose and my new chain ate up a 3/8 bolt for breakfast. Gots lots of filin' ta do!

I was kinda upset to shut down early, but I left the file on the workbench and the wife had to work tonight so it'll be mornin till I get back at it..... still walked away with a big grin.. :)
Plasma cutting at Craig Manufacturing

Fla._Deadheader

Looks like ya got it going.  8)  Them grins are hard to hide, right after ya tear that first board off something ya built. Been there, done that. ;) ;D Nice job. At least ya haven't sawed the dogs,        yet ::) ;D :D :D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Danny_S

I have the anti-dogcutter deterrent device on it... a 1/2 " bolt sits 1/8" below the level and in front of the chain. It will hit the dog before the expensive part does  ;)

Fla._Deadheader

First, it is ridiculed;

Danny_S

Well I thought I was Fla. but then the bar tip slipped and ate up the mount...I guess I will drill and pin the tip, just like my buddy said to do..... Of course, I got the big.." I TOLD YA SO!!"   :D

chet

QuoteI have the anti-dogcutter deterrent device on it... a 1/2 " bolt sits 1/8" below the level and in front of the chain. It will hit the dog before the expensive part does  ;)

Yup, got me one of dem anti-dogcutter deterrent devices on my bandmill too.  ::)  I still managed ta wack da squaring arms once and da dogs twice so far.  :'(
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Fla._Deadheader

:D :D :D :D :D  Not you, Chet ;) ;) ;D ;D
   First, it is ridiculed;

Danny_S

Welp, hangin the saw out the front dont work so well. :-/

The carrige was designed originally for a bandsaw, and then I went to chainsaw. It is mounted all kinda funny out the front and when it gets pullin in a cut she wobbles and goes it like a,... like a... I donno what.. heheh.  It was just a trial thing, and if it worked it would be a bounus. but it didnt so I am going to remount the saw in the center of the carrige with threaded rod height adjusters...ect

Ahh well, just another weekend in the shop, drillin and welding, and drinkin coffee,  gee that sucks.... :D

oakiemac

Speaking of sawing yer dogs off, I sawed dang near half the lever arm for one of my log dogs off yesterday. Decided it was time to quit after that.
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

shopteacher

Ole Butch and me can cut steel with the best of um. :D
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

Jeff

I never heard term flitch used until this forum.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Danny_S

This forum or this post?.... I dont know where I heard it.... sounds good though... :D

redpowerd

come to think of it, me either.
(the forum)
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

smwwoody

Jeff
I saw "flitches" for a veneer buyer about once a month.  he will show up with a load of veneer rejects and have me saw them from 2 to 5 inches thick.  All he wants done is to flat saw the log into peaces of what ever thickness he wants (2-5) then stack them back together with stickers in between and band the log back up.  When I get done he comes back and pays me $1.00 / board foot doyle scale of the original log and pays me for the price of new bands for any bands I used to saw the logs.

I like to see him come 8)

Woody
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
Pendu slab recovery system
KJ4WXC

Jeff

I should re-define my statement. I never heard the term flitch referred to as a sawing term until on the Forestry Forum. I always heard the term when it was applied to slices of veneer.

Jeff

Flitch defined:

Flitch:  A log sliced into thin veneer pieces, usually 1/16" thickness, slices are then bundled back to sell as a unit

Flitch: A complete bundle of thin veneer sheets laid together in sequence as they are cut from a given log or section of a log.

2. One of several planks, smaller timbers, or iron plates,
   which are secured together, side by side, to make a large
   girder or built beam.

3. The outside piece of a sawed log; a slab. [Eng.]

smwwoody

Flitch =

fish steak usually cut from a halibut
www.cogsci.princeton.edu/cgi-bin/webwn

salted and cured abdominal wall of a side of pork
www.cogsci.princeton.edu/cgi-bin/webwn

I knew I could make this one about food  ;D

Woody
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
Pendu slab recovery system
KJ4WXC

chet

:D   :D   :D   :D   :D   :D   :D   :D   :D   :D
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Danny_S

Ok, well, hows about from now on when we are talking about a board with live edges we call it a flitch? What else do yoose guys call it?  :)

Jeff

This wont work here, but at our mill we call them "clean up boards"  

We get a lot of them from the gang saw because we gang 3 sided cants. We gang mostly 7 1/4 inch cants.  The ones with one good edge are stacked in one pile and called "6 inch" clean up because we run them back through and edge them to 5.5 inches. The one with no good edge are stacked in another pile and we call those "4 inch" clean up because we put two blades on the gang and run them back through and make 3.5 inch wide boards.

Danny_S

When you say:  We gang mostly 7 1/4 inch cants. So is it 7 1/4" square cant?  What do you get out of them, 7 1/4" boards?  

Sorry, maybe I am having a dumb moment

Jeff

Yep. 7 and 1/4 inch wide boards.  We 3 side the logs down to 7.25 by random width. Run it through the gangsaw with the barkside out.  The boards are cut 1 and 1/16th" thick.  The gangsaw cuts a smoother surface then even your bandsaws.

timberbeast

Back in the day,  a flitch was usually the tenderloin of the log which was sold to cabinetmakers,  who resawed it to make boards.  Ole' Reino,  who ran a mill near my property considered a flitch as pretty much slabbing all four sides of a venneer log and selling it to small shops when the veneer logs weren't selling for any decent money.  The small shops could quarter it,  or slice it,  or whatever,  but usually laboriously bandsawed it into veneers and made really pretty stuff from it.  Reino told me about an 18' maple log he sold as a flitch which ended up pretty much covering the interior of a lounge in the U.P.,  I was there once with my Pop,  and it was purty.  Wish I could remember the name of the place!!!  Somewhere around Marquette.........
Where the heck is my axe???

Thank You Sponsors!