iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Been married 44 years today...

Started by Banjo picker, January 11, 2019, 05:09:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Banjo picker

To the same woman at that.  We are fixen to go to a Japanese hibachi grill in Florence Al. Takes a special woman to put up with a banjo picker for 44 years.  Its a special day for banjo pickers.  If you don't believe me just check out Google's banner for today.  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

lxskllr

Quote from: Banjo picker on January 11, 2019, 05:09:46 PMTakes a special woman to put up with a banjo picker for 44 years. 
Ain't that the truth. That woman's a saint!  :^P
Congratulations!

Magicman

Congratulations Tim and the Mrs. and I wish you many many more.  8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Resonator

Congrats! 
Is her name Dinah, and did you meet her in a kitchen? 
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

WV Sawmiller

BP, & Mrs. BP,

Congrats to both of you. Get her dressed in her best AU outfit for the special occasion.

I take my wife out to a Chinese Restaurant every year for our anniversary because that was all there was open when we got married. She thinks it is nostalgia. I look at how much money I have saved over the last 41+ years opposed to what I'd have spent if I took her to steak and lobster or such. I get her one rose for each year we have been married and that is getting a little pricey. I suggested getting silk roses so each year I could just buy one more and add to the existing bouquet. She would not go for that. ::)
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Sixacresand

"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

SawyerTed

Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

DPatton

Congratulations and may you have many many more.
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

Old Greenhorn

Married on Earl's birthday, did you plan that? Congratulations! It will be 42 for us in the spring. My wife tolerated my banjo picking fairly well too. Now it's just the occasional mando session. During tough times I would joke that if I had shot her when I wanted to, I would be out by now. She never really got the joke.
Earl's a pretty good picker, got a lot of folks inspired and started, which was great for the instrument. I am a big fan of many players who credit him for their first exposure and am friends with many of them who took it to anoother level, like Bill Keith (a dear friend I miss, and icon in my eyes), Bela, Tony Trischka, Noam Picknelny, Rex McGee, Ryan Cavanaugh, etc. I wonder if you listen to any f those guys?
Have a great anniversary!! 8)
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

barbender

Congratulations to the Mr. and Mrs. Banjo Picker!!
Too many irons in the fire

Banjo picker

We met up with a couple close friends at their house and had our picture took.  I cut the walnut tree and milled the lumber that went into the mantel.  The tree came from a hill right above the house place where I grew up.  It had died.  Matt put all the pieces together.

My buddie Matt likes to fish, if you can tell.  That small mouth right above my head would have been very close to a state record if he had caught it just a bit farther over in Mississippi waters.  

They started a fire before they put the food on.  I will say it was mighty fine.  I started eating as soon as it hit the plate, so no picture of the presentation.

Thanks for the well wishes. 

Resonator you got the first letter right.  ;) Her name is Debbie, and I met her at a swimming pool instead of a kitchen.  She was 17 and I was 18.  Odds wasn't too good was they, but we do everything together.  Started camping when first married, then playing bluegrass, then horse riding.  After I got the sawmill she agreeded to offbear,....untill she found out what that was, she backed out on that.

WV Samiller I bought the roses for a while, but I found out a nice card does pretty good.  I did make the mistake one year of not getting one.  As long as my memory wrorks, I wont do that again.

Greenhorn I have listened to several you mentioned there, but some I have not.  My youngest son is named Earl, that was Debs grandpaw's name, so his name has a double meaning I guess.  I have never tried the Keith tuners, banjo is hard enough for me to keep in tune as it is.  Since the wife has tolorated the banjo so well, I wonder how she will take to the fiddle?  Thanks again folks.  Banjo (Tim Scruggs)

Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

thecfarm

Happy Anniversary to a mighty fine couple!!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

brianb88

Measure twice, cut once

petefrom bearswamp

Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

trapper

stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Stuart Caruk

Happy Anniversary! In this day and age it's still refreshing to see people continuing through the ups and downs and staying married together. Nice mantel by the way.
Stuart Caruk
Wood-Mizer LX450 Diesel w/ debarker and home brewed extension, live log deck and outfeed rolls. Woodmizer twin blade edger, Barko 450 log loader, Clark 666 Grapple Skidder w/ 200' of mainline. Bobcats and forklifts.

samandothers

Congratulations to you and the Mrs.!  Great looking couple!  Not long now to the Golden!

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: Banjo picker on January 11, 2019, 11:02:20 PM
Greenhorn I have listened to several you mentioned there, but some I have not.  My youngest son is named Earl, that was Debs grandpaw's name, so his name has a double meaning I guess.  I have never tried the Keith tuners, banjo is hard enough for me to keep in tune as it is.  Since the wife has tolorated the banjo so well, I wonder how she will take to the fiddle?  Thanks again folks.  Banjo (Tim Scruggs)
Tim, I couldn't help notice your last name and have to ask if there is any relation? Keith tuners (Beacon Banjo) is still in business and doing well if you ever change your mind. It's run by Bill's son Martin (also a dear friend) and the world famous service remains the same. My banjo was tuned when I bought it  :D :D, but the tuners allow for quick alternate tuning's. I am not much good at it, mostly I mess with the mando. I do have a fiddle laying here, tried it once. Scared the cats pretty bad, worse then the vacuum. Besides, my son-in-law is a kick-butt fiddler and gets calls to sit in with a of of bands, Jay Unger lives around the corner, and his daughter lives next door to him, so with all that world class talent I don't see much point in even trying. But if I drink too much one night, I just might try again (it might sound better then).
 Anyway, if your bride can tolerate the banjo and actually find a way to work with it, you have something very special there. Congratulations again, and may many more happy days fill your path together.
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

Banjo picker

We had a blast last night.  I ate so much I didn't want to get up this morning...a feller shouldn't do that.  

I thought Matt done a pretty nice job with the mantel as well, at least I will know where a chunck of that tree is.  I have a couple more of those slabs drying in the saw mill shed, should the need arise.

Only reason I got the fiddle out, was there was a young girl that was given a fiddle by her grandfather and she wants to learn to play a simple tune for him before he undergoes a fairly difficult opperation coming up.  I found tabs for a couple of fairly easy tunes and tuned her fiddle for her.  Hopefully she can learn a few licks.  Don't claim any kin to Earl from North Carolina. Never researched it. 

Thanks again for the well wishes.  Banjo

Old Greenhorn

Well, not knowing the particulars (she may have a particular tune in mind) if I could suggest Ashokan Farewell, known the world over as a lovely and haunting tune. Easy to learn and there are a lot of videos to help out with the timing. First tune I have learned on every instrument I have attempted. In no small coincidence, I live two miles from the waters edge of the Ashokan Reservoir and about 4 miles through the woods from the Ashokan Center, where the tune was written by Jay Unger years before it was included in Ken Burns Civil War documentary. Not tha any of this has anything to do with your mission. It's a beautiful tune and easy to learn, even for me. I am betting you know the tune.

Banjo picker

I can play the first half of it.  She is trying Faded Love.  Thats pretty easy as well. I play a tune called Road to Columbus in its simplest notes, and the other day I got the bright idea to listen to Kenny Baker play it.  Made me put mine back in the case for a day or two.  That man was good.  Banjo

Old Greenhorn

Faded Love is a great tune, always one of my Dad's favorite, and mine too. I can't play that, never looked it up. For Ashokan farewell, look up the mando tabs, same thing. On the banjo, it is better played in the melodic style and I was never good at that/.
 Your comment about Kenny Baker made me laugh hard. Yeah, he is a hard one to compare yourself with, but I empathize. My banjo teacher was Bill Keith and talk about being intimidated  :o! He always spoke with great praise of Kenny and his ear. Bill played with some of the best we will ever know, he did give me some stories, I can tell you. 
 At least you weren't listening to Vassar Clements :D :D :D :D!

dgdrls

Thank You Sponsors!