iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

That Paul Bunyon Show

Started by Bro. Noble, October 03, 2004, 08:08:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bro. Noble

I'm hurting for a report ;D

Were the brownies as good as the ones at the Piggy Roast?
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Norm

I know what ya mean Noble, Jeff was supposed to bring back some brownies for those of us not able to make it. I have a sneaking suspicion that if I want any I'm going to have to make my own. :D

Jeff

Guys I got several pictures put will post some later. Right now I am incapacitated with a back/hip/sciatic nerve something or other problem that plagued me at the Paul Bunyan show. I'll add a thread in a bit once I get unpacked and able to sit longer then 10 seconds at a time. I had a super time regardless!  (I was able to give LogRite a little extra biz cause that long hookaroon makes a perfect cane  :))
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

SwampDonkey

Man, take care of yourself cause i know what that sciatic nerve business can do. It can even effect the bowels (without being explicit). Then the pain killers are another issue. ::)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Jeff

we'll be posting pics and stuff on the thread named "Paul Bunyan and no Chisel! "

The hip got so bad it made me forget my shoulder. :o

Its like the time years and years ago I had a tooth ache. This old fella at the mill said to try a big chaw of his redman, that it would take the toothache away. Well, he was right. That stuff made me so sick I forgot all about the toothache. It also cured me of ever trying chew again!

SwampDonkey

:D :D The school took us to Kings Landing Historical settlement when we was in grade 4. We walked into the old general store and in a glass case there was some chew and us young fellers asked the shop keeper for a piece. We took one bite of that stuff and ran outta that store to the watering trough. It was hot as chilly peppers. I dunno what it was laced with, but none of us ever ended up chewin, I know that. Reminds me of the little rascals, and we was just as bad to. :D :D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Timber_Framer

:D When I was in Hihgschool footbal I thought it was cool to dip during practice...until that one fateful hit :o

Hope the hip gets better Jeff, it seems we know a bit about that particular ailment  ::)
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

Jeff

does anybody have any methods of relief for sciatica? Jeez this sucks. :-/

Rod

I had that same problem just a few months ago Jeff and I never did find nothing that would work.It lasted for about a month,maybe 2, and one morning I woke up and it was gone. :o weird I know,but true..But the way I've got it figured is, after I turned into my 50's weird pains like that word come and go.Now I'd say when I'm in my 80's and on, those pains will just stay.But my threory could me totally wrong too.

Rod

By the way Jeff,mine just would hurt when ever I would move my right leg,I told the Doc that, and I asked him what I should do,he told me not to move my right leg :o :o :)

SwampDonkey

If your in your favorite lounger chair, sit with a pillow behind your lower back, without your feet up. Might try using some pillows at night to find a comfy position, but I don't remember gettin much sleep no matter what position. Sometimes I was good for awhile on my back and then sometimes on my side. Sleeping on my stomach was a definate no no. I found keeping my back as straight as possible was the most comfortable.

'No slouching young man', as your teacher told you when tapping your desk with her yard stick.  ;)

Timber_Framer

After six years of off and on pain I finally listened to my wife and tried yoga. I know, I know, it looks silly as hell considering I'm 300lbs and 6'4" but it gave me relief. And if I'm smart enough to do two twenty minute sessions a week it stays away. Unfortunately I'm not that smart ::)
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

Bro. Noble

I had it on my right side several years ago--------took lots of time to get better.   Had it on my seft side this summer wasn't near as bad and is about all better.

Jeff,  in a couple of weeks,  you won't be thinking about your hip much :-/   As you already know the shoulder is worse,  but you will have those little pills to help you along :o

Then again maybe you're being punished for eating Norm's and my brownies ;)

In an case hope things go well with you :)

SwampDonkey

Timber framer:

I agree that excercise is the best releif for any back and sciatic ailments. Doing alot of bending in low ceilings is hard on ya, like stacking furnace wood and working around air ducts in the basement. :D If you have stiff knees from sitting to much it also helps to walk. I've been walking over 7 km every day when doing trail layout, similar when doing PCT layout. The only downer is my arms are up in the air alot compassing and tying ribbon and it gets me in the kneck and middle back. You also need really good work boots that are comfortable because the natural terrian in the woods can be unforgiving to your hips and footsies. But, by 5 am the next day I'm ready to do it all over again. :D Working on a cement floor all day with bad boots is gonna get to ya also.

Tom

I'm enjoying some pictures in another thread, maybe some will show up here as well. :D  Are there any of Jeff hunched over cane?  Hmmm  Chet the yodeler and Jeff the howler. :D

I have had Sciatica too and it's no fun. It shows up without reason, hangs on a week, a month or a year, and if your lucky will dissappear as fast as it showed up.  There's no reasoning to it.

I hear that Eating More Grits will eleviate the pain. ;D

Jeff

From a distance, Chet and I thought we saw a guy cooking a huge cauldron full of grits, We walked up and it turned out to be bean soup. I told the guy thank god, I thought those were all grits and he laughed.

SwampDonkey

awe well, you know we gots to look after one another. ;D

D._Frederick

Jeff,

What I did for my nerve problem was to put ice packs on the lower back and take ant inflamitory pills such naproxen (SP). You need to leave the ice on long enough until the skin is num.

pappy

I've had lower back problems since "75 (motorcycle wreck) --I've tried three different chiros and the last one I'm going to does me GREAT !! He keeps me on the bench for no less than 40 minutes (I just love that inferred tool he has) -- but the best tip he gave me is two cups of Epsom salt in the tub with water as hot as you can stand it.  Believe me it works.  Sometimes the old home remedies  !!!!!

Matter of fact that's right where I'm going.

good night,
pappy
"And if we live, we shall go again, for the enchantment which falls upon those who have gone into the woodland is never broken."

"Down the Allagash."  by; Henry Withee

Ron Wenrich

I've had sciatica a couple of times.  Once I went to a doctor who gave me pain pills.  It came back after the pills were gone.

The guy who cured it was a chiropractor.  It took awhile, but it never came back.

To help reduce the pain, you should be using moist heat.  Put a wet washrag on your back, then put a heating pad (water proof) on top of that.  Then sit back in the lounger for about 1/2 hour.  It will fell lots better.  
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Bro. Noble

Anyone use a rice bag------- A flannel bag full of rice?  You put it in the microwave and then use it like a hot water bottle.  It conforms to your body,  feels moist,  and stays hot a long time.  You can also keep it in the freezer to use on sprains,  bruises,  and other injuries that call for cold to reduce swelling.  I used one almost constantly after shoulder surgery and pinched nerves.

chet

Rice....... I wooda thunk ya wooda suggested a bag of grits.   :D   :D
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Bro. Noble

Heck no,  them's for warming your innards ;D

DanG

This is Dr. DanG typing. Jeff, now you listen up and listen up good!  .....er, I was gonna say something here, but I forgot what it was. ???

Anyway, I had that problem some years ago, and sorta narrowed down what was causing it. I was sitting on an old worn out couch in the evenings, watching tv and working crosswords. Started having these wierd and severe pains through my left hip and leg. I was just about crippled from it when we rearranged the place and I started roosting elsewhere. Pretty soon the pain went away. I've been more careful about where I habitually sit, and the pain has never come back.  Check out your normal sitting spots and change some things around a bit. You might discover the cause of your problem. :)

Best hot compress I know of is a wet towel in a garbage bag. Poke it in the microwave for a couple of minutes and it will last for a good while.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

SwampDonkey

HI Bro_Noble

I also have one of them microwaveable grain sacs. Its here someplace, I keep forgetting i got it.

Termite

I also agree with epson salts theoropy, I have that and sometimes I soak my feet in warm water with that disolved in it.  I have one of them ConAir foot thingies from Wallyworld. Some times my feet get cramped from walking all day and that's good for it.

DanG

I also agree with what your saying about furniture. Some chairs I need something behind my back, like a pillow. Those old hard wooden chairs they sit on playing cards in winter , I can't take for too long. Cut the circulation off in the legs, and hard on the lower back. Mind you I don't go to the card games too often. I don't sit on chairs that have that cord running around the rim of the cushon, that cuts into the legs too.

cheers

Thank You Sponsors!