iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A lazy Sunday Afternoon

Started by Norm, July 04, 2011, 08:36:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norm

We spent the morning working in the garden, hot and humid without a breeze to be had. Our reward was to take the afternoon off and go fishing in the pond out front of the house.

It was overcast with an occasional spit of rain, perfect fishing weather. Patty decided she'd try out a plastic worm while I stuck with a spinner bait. We'd not been out on the jon boat more than a couple of minutes when I heard her exclaim wow! Looked over to see her pole bent over with the drag screaming. She played it like a pro and soon got it to the side of the boat where I grabbed it.

I held it up for a quick picture before releasing it back. At that point I offered to buy the only worm on the boat!  :D

I did catch a couple myself fishing with a small jig and twister tail.

I was after bluegill and crappie for supper but caught a couple small bass as well. The weather had them really turned on and Patty caught several really nice bass with her plastic worm. Towards the end something slammed it and broke her line. To say she was disappointed was an understatement but we'll head to wally world for replacements and new line.

Kept an assortment of bluegill, crappie and bass for supper that night. I filleted them with my new electric fillet knife which worked great. Breaded and deep fat fried with some french fries.

Mooseherder

Looks like a great day Norm!
I have to go renew my fishing license.
Your place is beautiful. :)

Ron Scott

~Ron

isawlogs

Cool !!! I have been out in the river here throwing flies at trout more this past week then I have in many years. So far count is standing at 20, 8 to 14 inches. All are rainbow and a few speckles, we did catch two browns this spring but I have not gone to try them with the fly rod yet .
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

WDH

A fish fry would be very nice.  Very nice  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SwampDonkey

Nice spot, not too far from home and good fish'n.  :) 8)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WildDog

Good stuff guys, a lazy Sunday afternoon catching fish together for supper on your own place, can't ask for much more than that.
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

sandhills

Being able to walk out the front door and fish... priceless.  (some commercial)  Looks like you guys had a great afternoon, and Happy Birthday Norm!

treefarmer87

1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

doctorb

It's Important for your pond to remove some fish, especially those mid sized bass.  If you want some of them to grow to lunker size, you can't return them all.  Nice dinner and better future fishing!
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

isawlogs

I went out this evening and caught a 12 inch rainbow out of the river. It will be making friends with the smoker tomorow .  :D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Patty

Sounds good Marcel!   I was just thinking about grabbing my pole as soon as this rain and lightening stops.  :o   Can't think of a better way to spend a Sunday!
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Norm

Marcel I've never smoked any fish before, is there a chance you'd give me a tutorial on how it's done?

Jeff

First ya need some really big rolling papers...
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Roxie

Say when

Norm

So that's how it's  done.... :D

Burlkraft

Ya need a pretty good torch too, they are hard to keep lit!  :D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

isawlogs

Sure thing Norm , it really ain't all that compliqué   ;)

Get Patty to catch a few fish.
Get Patty to fix them up, I just cut the belly open gut um and pull the gills rinse them drip dry.
Now you can take over.  :)

Brime I use is what I have on hand,
  Put pickling salt on fish, rub some inside also, let them sit in a pan while you fix the rest up.
  In a dish big enough to take all that Patty brought you, 2 table spoons os soya sauce or equivalent, 2 tbls of maple sirop, a squeese of lime, I also put in steak spices about a table spoon or so, this time of the year I cut the heads off the garlic and thoise I cut up and thrown inside the fish, mix all this up , add two cups of water ( or enough to cover da fish).
Rinse salt off.
Put the fish in,  if Patty had a good catch you may need double this.
Its best if fish are covered.
I let them sit over night or from morning till late in the afternoon,
TAke the fish and drip dry them, I start them with the belly spread open, them turn them on the side flip once.
I have been using cherry for the smoke , 'cause thats what I have. My little smoker  140° and it not long to cook a 12 inche trout, only a glass or two of wine and they are done. Now that also depends on whom is taking in da wine and at what rate of flow it is taken in.
I have also used apple juice instead of the maple syrop and instead of the water too.  Its all good to me , I don't really have one set recipe to do my fish.
They come out so juicy and flavourfull any way ya do um.  :)
When there done they come out and nice amber colour ,

mouth watering    :D :D 
( da little one was six inches , but would not have made it if released ...better me have um then wasting away)

Marcel

Norm

isawlogs

Bienvenue mon ami !!!

Bon appétit  !!!!

Marcel

Patty

I see you leave the heads on Marcel. Does that add flavor, or is it just for looks??
Women are Angels.
on a broomstick.....

doctorb

Patty-

The heads are like a meat thermometer.  If they try to bite you after you take them off the grill, they're not done. :D
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

isawlogs

I doubt they add flavour. But.... with a large fish I love to eat the cheek meat it is IMO the best part of a fish. Since I don't like to waste any of the fish, cooking it with the head makes that I get all of it  ;) :)

Marcel

Patty

I will remember that tidbit of advice Doc!  :D

Marcel, I have had halibut cheeks, and they are excellent; however I always bought them pre-cut from the fish.  I just can't get past the eyeballs staring at me while the fish cooks, much less while I am chewing on his cheek.  :-X     Perhaps I can have Norm remove them when he cleans & fillets the fish.  ;)
Women are Angels.
on a broomstick.....

isawlogs

Marcel

Thank You Sponsors!