iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

They don't make metal like they used to.

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, June 03, 2018, 10:03:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

When I crank up 3800 PSI on the wide head it takes a good bit of arm strength to pull the handle around.

My handle has now developed a crack. Its not in a weld, the handle appears to have been cut out of 1 piece with a Plasma Cutter.

I called Woodmizer and sent them pictures.
They are sending me a new handle and pin.

Thanks Colin.

Right now I'm use a screw driver to wind up the pressure until my new handle arrives.

I'll take the cracked one and weld it up and have a spare.

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Larry

Looks like some kind of abnormality in the metal rather than a manufacturing defect.  Most steel is recycled anymore and might have been a Chinese ball bearing right at that spot so a crack developed.

I wouldn't worry about it unless the second one fails.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

WDH

I have to use a litte 12" section of conduit as a cheater bar.  Easier on the old body. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Southside

Yikes, that is surprising. Almost wonder if it needs a forged handle there due to the leverage, or a hex bolt / wrench type of set up. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Magicman

Goats da eats Kudzu are stronger.   smiley_airfreshener
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Larry

Seems like I remember somebody, I think maybe Bibbyman, complaining about that little handle years ago. Whoever it was, modified it to take a box end wrench.

Of course I could machine an adapter so you could use either a 1/2" socket wrench or 1/2" breaker bar if your really weak. 2 SGU's (paid in advance).
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

Magicman

Not keeping the screw/threads greased with greatly increase the pressure needed to reach the proper blade tension.   :-X
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

petefrom bearswamp

I have welded a 3/8 drive socket to the shaft, being careful to keep spatters off of the threads.
Then leave a 3/8 ratchet on it making tensioning and releasing very easy.
I think i may have put this on usful sawmill mods a few tears ago and I'll bet others have done this too.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

ladylake

Quote from: Larry on June 03, 2018, 03:24:21 PM
Seems like I remember somebody, I think maybe Bibbyman, complaining about that little handle years ago. Whoever it was, modified it to take a box end wrench.

Of course I could machine an adapter so you could use either a 1/2" socket wrench or 1/2" breaker bar if your really weak. 2 SGU's (paid in advance).
I'd just weld a two sided handle on it like TK used, tensions  up easy and fast.  Steve   '
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

WV Sawmiller

Ladylake,

Maybe in the future after it is out of warranty but I suspect, if like mine, any welding on the mill voids the warranty. No doubt WM will have the replacement part to the goat quicker than a Southerner can eat a bowl of grits. :D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Crossroads

Ya know my dad used to tell me "boy, you could tear up an iron ball with a rubber mallet". Is there a chance the goats cast from the same mold? 🤔
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Southside

The goat could use that fancy nail gun he is running around with and just nail a couple of wide pine boards together to make a handle.    ;D  Oh - wait - what about a LogRite adapter kit that allows use of the cant hook, that would let a guy get some tension on there!! More power!!  :o   
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

4x4American

Quote from: petefrom bearswamp on June 03, 2018, 05:53:47 PM
I have welded a 3/8 drive socket to the shaft, being careful to keep spatters off of the threads.
Then leave a 3/8 ratchet on it making tensioning and releasing very easy.
I think i may have put this on usful sawmill mods a few tears ago and I'll bet others have done this too.
C'mon we all know you use a pneumatic impact wrench lol lol
Boy, back in my day..

Chuck White

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Scottasheppard

Aka Porkie

Larry

Quote from: Larry on June 03, 2018, 03:24:21 PMSeems like I remember somebody, I think maybe Bibbyman, complaining about that little handle years ago. Whoever it was, modified it to take a box end wrench.
I thought it was Bibbyman. I surprised myself as most of the time I can't remember what I had for breakfast.

Chuck, your search skills are outstanding. :)

barbender

I thought this was going to be the goat making a tribute to Black Sabbath or something😁
Too many irons in the fire

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

SawyerTed

Quote from: barbender on June 04, 2018, 02:16:08 PM
I thought this was going to be the goat making a tribute to Black Sabbath or something😁
Fact is they don't make metal like they used to.  Black Sabbath Rocks!
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I got my new handle today.  :)
This was NOT a fault of Woodmizers. 
It just seems like a lot of the stuff with metal in it today does not come close to the quality of the metal things used to be built with.

I like the idea of the ratchet handle.  8)
I may look at putting one on.

Brucer

You could use Steve's suggestion of adding a T handle, but without welding it. Get a length of metal bar the same cross-section as your handle, but twice as long. Then pin it into the tensioner slot. You'd get half the stress on each side of the handle.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Thank You Sponsors!