iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pinneywoods kiln

Started by tacks Y, March 26, 2019, 07:49:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tacks Y

Reading in the old posts I see this talked about. But unable to find it, can someone point it out to me? Thanks Tom

caveman

Search Pineywoods kiln or pineywoods solar kiln
Caveman

tacks Y

Ok I give up. No pictures of his kiln that I can find. It is talked about so I thought I would find pictures.

pineywoods

Sorry about the confusion. I built my kiln and 2 copies before I found the forestry forum. Planman1954 built a mobile version and did a nice job of documenting the build. Pics in his gallery. The kiln resembles the VT design, but was actually a clean sheet design. No vents, I use a cheap room de-humidifier to remove the water. Black painted sheet metal suspended from the underside of the clear plastic roof. Fans blow air across the metal and through the lumber stack, then across the de-humidifier. Works good even on cloudy days and gets plenty hot enough to sterilize the lumber. Planman dries cabinet grade oak in his. Mine is still in use, I can get pics if you are interested.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

tacks Y

THANKS Pineywoods, I was looking for all the ideas I could find before I started. My mistake I thought after reading a few posts that your build was documented on here also. I did read through Planman's build and I will try to post my build. Thanks again. Tom

Crusarius

pineywoods, do you know the actual temperatures you get? I am still skeptic that in my area I will be able to get enough heat to sterilize.

Planman1954

The temps are in excess of 180 degrees f. This was proven by a blown fuse in a fan rated at that. I would guess it hovers around 200 on a summer day.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 / Solar Dry Kiln /1943 Ford 9n tractor

Tree Dan

Yes I agree that the Pinny woods kiln is a great design
But Instead of having the black metal so close to the roof,
why not move it back a tad to have more cubic inchs of space should = more heat volume.
Will the home dehumidifiers not shut down once they hit the high heat?

Tree Dan 
Wood Mizer LT40HD, Kubota KX71, New Holland LS150, Case TR270
6400 John Deere/with loader,General 20" planer, Stihl 880, Stihl 361, Dolmar 460, Husqvarna 50  and a few shovels,
60" and 30" Log Rite cant hooks, 2 home built Tree Spades, Homemade log splitter

Planman1954

I don't need more heat for what I do. I can have a load of pine down to about 14% mc in about a week. I had it completely filled with walnut a year or two back. After three weeks, the mc was down to 8%. My brother used it for stairs and cabinets with no problems. The humidifier and two fans run continuously at a minimal cost...I could hardly tell a difference in my electric bill. I am on my second garage find $10 model after seven years of use. I hope I get my money's worth.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 / Solar Dry Kiln /1943 Ford 9n tractor

Thank You Sponsors!