My new Norwood LM29

Started by Glen Sutton, September 18, 2013, 10:40:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glen Sutton

I've been sawing 8x8's for timberframe and 1" siding on a chainsaw mill for ten years now, and figured its time to upgrade to a bandsaw mill. Just placed my order last week, and justabout dying to get cutting on the new machine. Tiny problem was to work out how to pay and ship. I'm NY based, but the farm-woodlot is in QC. For some reason, that's considered two different countries, but to me, its just up the street. Go-figure.
Next; how to economically sharpen the blades. Ideally I'd bring them home to Saratoga, NY for sharpening during the week. Does anyone have a source for bandsaw sharping in this neck of the woods ?

thecfarm

Congratulations on the mill. I stopped at a hardware store and asked about a local guy that has a shapening sevice. I lucked out and found a guy that's been doing it for years. He even worked in a big sawmill business. There is another hardware store that sends them out to a guy. I think the turn around time is a week. Good luck.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

dboyt

Welcome to Norwood mills.  Can't blame you for being impatient to start milling with it.  I, too, had a chain saw mill before getting a Norwood.  Couldn't believe the difference!  Take your time, and follow the instructions carefully putting it together, and you'll be as delighted with it as I was (and still am!).  Check out the Norwood Connect forum, too, when you get a chance.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

Glen Sutton

The LM29 went together in a pretty straightforward manner. I had no shortages or quality issues (congrats Norwood, and thanks). The only difficulty was my thickness winch which I had wrapped on the drum backwards--my fault.
WM Resharp say they will sharpen for me. So that solves that one.
I cut a dozen poplars up into pallet wood for my buddy's business. Then turned my attention to a beautiful white pine. Now I'm learning what that water bottle is for.
Lots to learn about this fascinating and ancient craft of sawing !