iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

types of chainsaws poll

Started by hisliptree3, September 17, 2011, 08:44:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hisliptree3

what saw do you own, like or prefer?

T Welsh

STIHL. 30+ years in tree service field. have tried the rest and have stuck to the best.

Bernhard

Stihl since 1985 and a Partner with 42 ccm. Never have had any probs with the Stihl, but would not mind to buy another brand, too, if I would find a Dealer like my Stihl guy. Reason for that is, that my Stihl Dealership will close at the end of the year, cause the owner will go into Retirement at the end of the year.

To buy a Saw is always an expensive Decission, but also other Mothers are having good looking daughters. ;D

I will not go with the voting poll above, cause, excepted a small Solo in 1984, I never have tried another brand of Saws and I believe that all the wellknown brands are making good machinery.

Buying equipment is not only  a prive thing, it depends on the dealership and it´s service, too.

Here in Germany it maybe easier to get parts bought within half an hour of riding to the dealer, so I never would go, with buying at the netif it comes to parts. maybe I would make an exception if it comes to bars and chains,.

mad murdock

this is a ford vs. chevy vs dodge type situation.  I have run McCullough, Homelite, Stihl, Sachs Dolmar, Jonsereds, Husqvarna, in the woods and cutting firewood.  Outside of running a CSM, the hardest duty a saw gets is cutting firewood, IMO.  They all will work well, if looked after properly, and properly sharpened.  That said, of the surviving brands today, of the top 3 (Stihl, Jonnyred, and Husky), I prefer Husky over the rest.  They have performed the best overall for me, and though Stihl has a solid history, I'll take a swede saw.  A lot depends on a person's attention to preventative maintenance tendencies, and local dealer support.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

ladylake

I run a lot of different brands here and most are are good, I'd not buy newer Poulans, Homelites, MACs and the lower end Husky and Stihl saws.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

sablatnic

Right now I think that Stihl is the best, but ten years ago I would have voted for Husqvarna. (And Partner 30 years ago). Can't say what it will be in ten years.

Collima

I run stihl. I have an 880,  4 460's, 361, 362.  I have ran husq in the past and wouldn't hesitate to buy another.
I wouldn't run anything else besides stihl or husq. Even if a got a echo or something for free I would sell it or give it away.
Woodmizer LT50, case SV250, lucas dsm23

weimedog

One thing I can say is the 272 & 372 Husqvarna saws are about the easiest to work on and build of any series I've experienced. I'm real curious to see how the new xtorq 365-372 Husky's and follow on Jred's are.
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

beenthere

Stihl since my first one in 1975. That saw ran without a single problem (save for the handle I broke) up to 2004 when I bought the MS361. So for 34 years, never missed a beat nor gave any problem. I've had no reason or excuse to look or think of anything other than Stihl. Cannot say if any others are better, which is not the question anyway. :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

thecfarm

A real hard question. I have a friend that has a Jonsered for about 20 years. But he only cuts about 5 cords a year with it and I doubt it has seen over 100 trees cut down in it's whole life. I've gone through a couple Huskys in that saw lifetime. But I was cutting in the woods at one time and doing ALOT of clearing around the farm too. I started out with an 032 way back in the late 70's than for a better dealer support I went to Husky. Some people don't use thier equipment much and never have trouble with it. Start to use it just about everyday of the week and the old wear and tear will creep up on you. Everything I buy get used just about every day. Case in point,I just bought a used tractor, 8 years old with just a little over 800 hours on it. I probably will put that in less than a year.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

zopi

I love my Stil equipment, but I must say, I am going to take another tank of fuel down a leg from those bloody flippy caps, and I am going to va beach to punch an engineer in the mouth.
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Caloren

Quote from: zopi on September 19, 2011, 07:42:33 AM
I love my Stil equipment, but I must say, I am going to take another tank of fuel down a leg from those bloody flippy caps, and I am going to va beach to punch an engineer in the mouth.

Gee, I've never had any trouble with the "flippy caps" on the 310, but have had the oil cap [screw on] on the little 170 come off and oil my leg twice. ::)
Stihl MS 170, Stihl MS 310, Stihl 028 AV Super, and half a dozen other no-accounts! Cat D4 D.

T Welsh

, but have had the oil cap [screw on] on the little 170 come off and oil my leg twice. ::)
[/quote] Caloren, I thought I was the only one that has done that! Tim

clww

Quote from: zopi on September 19, 2011, 07:42:33 AM

Just tell me when, since I'm already 1 mile from the plant, it will save you a trip! :D
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Collima

Agree. The stihl flippy caps are annoying! When I first started using them I would walk away from fueling up. About to fell a tree and find the oil cap open and oil all over my leg. I would prefer the regular screw on cap.
Woodmizer LT50, case SV250, lucas dsm23

beenthere

I don't understand. I might be slow. ;)
Either/or: the flippy cap needs to be closed or the screw on cap needs to be screwed on.
Not doing so for either system will get oil or fuel mix on your leg.  >:( >:(
Both systems require one to remember to close them after filling.
To me the flippy caps are quicker and easy to do. Flip, half twist and they are off. Half twist, flip and they are locked on.
::) ::)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jeff

Being a new Stihl owner, I've just learned of the flippy caps, and within a week of first using it, had the gas drain out on my leg and shoe carrying the saw to the next tree.  It has not happened since and if it happens again, it sure isn't the caps fault. It's mine for not shutting it correctly and making sure it was shut. Just like beenthere said. A cap is a cap. make sure its shut.

I like em.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

T Welsh

Stihl has recalled a certain type of these caps, being old school. I did not like them at first and had trouble with them too! I just took 3 saws in for new caps and let me tell you, its a night and day difference. much easier to install, they do have a little arrow on them, but that doesnt help me if I dont have my glasses on. the older caps gaskets swelled with the ethanol gas we get today and they are hard to get on. am thinking of buying all new caps just because of this. I still like the oil or gas on the pant leg stories!!! Tim

Magicman

I also have 3 Homelites, but the Stihls are the "go to" saws.  The only time that I have ever had oil down my leg was with a screw cap that was not screwed.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Caloren

In our case with the 170 the cap was screwed on and it came off while using it. Happened to my son the first time, and about a year later it happened to me  :( The cap wasn't cross threaded, or anything like that, the only thing I can think of was some small chips may have got in the threads and caused the cap to vibrate loose. Both times we had stopped to refuel and add oil and we may not have got the threads completely clean.  ???  Maybe we didn't get it tight enough? I don't know, but it only happened twice. ;D
Loren
Stihl MS 170, Stihl MS 310, Stihl 028 AV Super, and half a dozen other no-accounts! Cat D4 D.

miking

I like the Echo saws and their other equipment as well. My #1 work saw is the 530 and my firewood saws are the 600P and 680. Good stuff! I also have one Stihl, a 192C. As for the poll, I can't say which is best because I haven't run them all.
Echo CS530, 600 and 680 chainsaws, SRM410U brushcutter, PB500 blower and PP265 power pruner. Also a Stihl 192c for the lil' stuff.

maple flats

After using Macs, Poulans (had maybe 4 in a row) and after wearing out 4 finally deciding to get a real saw. I looked at both Stihl and Husky. I did not like the way that Stihl dealer acted and treated his customers, so I went with Husky I have had 3 and all were good (one Husky I bought at a garage sale and likely it cut 500 full cord before a internal issue arose. When I went to get it fixed the price was going to be about $250, I had bought it for 200 originally but the dealer offered me $200 in trade saying he could use it for a parts saw. I bought another saw, my 365  Currently have 2, both are dependable. My Husky dealer now also carries Stihl. If I weren't happy with the Huskies I'd now try Stihl, because this dealer is good and fair.
If you are looking for a saw, among the top makes, look mostly at the dealer. A good saw from a poor dealer is no good, and neither is a poor saw from a good dealer. Pick the Husky's, Stihls, Dolmar or Jonsonred from a good dealer. Some of those but not all sell thru big box stores. Realize, the models are often not the same as at dealers, and most importantly, a dealer treats you best when you bought the saw from him. That is human nature. Stihl will only sell thru full service dealers and top of the line saws are only available from dealers and not big box stores.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

KevinE

I own several brands (Makita, Stihl, Husky & Echo), all are pro saws & I would not like to rate any of them as better than any other brand across the entire range. I have favourite models in each brand; who could fault an MS200T, a 440, 460 or a 660? but there are Stihl models of saws both pro & non pro that are boat anchors too! (unfortunately I parted with cash for one!) Same goes for most brands I think? Another variable is that we all have different needs for our saws to fulfil. I make money with mine, mostly pruning & a few take downs here & there. A lot of guys here cut firewood, I never do. Nor do I mill. Some guys drop trees day in day out.

ladylake

I used to be Stihl untill I got a couple of Echo CS510 saws, light, good power, handles great, run forever and reasonable parts which I seldom need.  Nothing wrong with my Stihl 044 either besides the high priced parts. My MS170 is built cheap. Also have Husky, Dolmar, Solo, Efco, Jonesred saws which are all made and run good.    Steve

Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

sparky1

Im just glad im not the only one who had oil run down my leg from the stihl saw!!!! 8)  Im sure it was my fault, but i wasnt happy at the time!
Shaun J

Thank You Sponsors!