iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Rustic Ranch covered deck

Started by Racerx94, January 18, 2019, 04:08:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Racerx94

Hi there all, Mark here been lurking for a few months. Y all have lots of great info and advice here! The better half and I are wanting to do a covered deck with some timber frame elements incorporated. The whole deck needs to be replaced it faces south and just bakes in the summer here in Missouri. We have been searching for timber framed covered decks online, but can not really find anything we like. Just wondering if any of you kind folks have any ideas and our pics o f covered decks. Thanks all! Hopefully I can attach a pic of the back of our house.

samandothers

Sorry no covered deck, but wanted to say welcome!

Don P

If the length of the deck is equal or shorter than the house is wide then it would be pretty easy to T off a gabled porch roof with the same pitch as the house.

Racerx94

The deck is 18ft x 20ft wide. 18ft is off the back of the house and house is 32ft wide. Yes T off with gable end roof is what we would like to do. Just wondering if anyone on here has done this or has pics or drawings?

Jim_Rogers

I have designed two covered decks and roofs.
One is this:

and here it is after erected:

I did another one with a lower roof pitch but I don't have those pictures in my gallery right now.

One thing to consider is that the roof system should be supported by posts next to the house walls, not by the house itself. Shrinkage of plates and beams will effect the roof system and it should be planned on and you need to allow it to happen and not effect the house roof.
Good luck with your project.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Racerx94

Thanks Jim! We like something like that. Going to have to be a lower pitch on the roof though, also would like to tie it in to existing roof, but not supported by the roof. What size columns are those and about how much shrinkage would they be? Probably be using Douglas Fir.  

Hooterspfld

I would think you could mitigate the shrinkage of the post using some sort of adjustable base. Kinda like this:

Don P

The posts won't shrink appreciably in length. The plate beam under the rafters will, in the neighborhood of 1/4", the rafters will, maybe half that much. I doubt it is enough to worry about. You can overhang the ridgebeam of the porch over onto the house roof and stick frame that area then frame a sided gable over the existing wall to cover that over roof area. It would be a good idea to have an engineer check out the loading and support there.

Racerx94

Thank you Hooterspfld good idea. Also thank you Don P Yes that is kinda what I was thinking.

OffGrid973

Nice build, getting inspired.  How high can you go with the concrete before it starts to lose side to side rigidity? That front right in the pic almost looks like it could snap in half with a full crane kick (from a rhino) but in theory, is that ever a concern even on scaled down projects?
Your Fellow Woodworker,
- Off Grid

Don P

Good eye. Piers are an engineered solution under braced walls, porches and decks are kind of a grey area but that is tightening up. That would be better on a continuous foundation.

Thank You Sponsors!