iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How many Rights?

Started by Magicman, October 31, 2018, 02:07:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

Is enough, or even too many?  I am re-loading my truck with all of the sawmill stuff and looking at the old gloves that I last used decided that I had better break out another pair.  I have a "glove" bag in the truck where I carry several new pairs of gloves, both for myself and for tailgunners that do not have gloves.  OK so what is that "right" stuff all about?

Yup, inside of my glove bag along with several pairs are five (5) right hand gloves.  Two well used, one slightly used and two new.  Often when I wear a hole in a glove I'll reach into the bag and grab a single replacement and keep on going but I was surprised to find 5 right hand gloves.  I am right handed but I suppose that I let the left hand do all of the dirty work.  ::)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

alan gage

Maybe we could have a glove exchange. I always wear out my right glove first from tossing split wood.

Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

terrifictimbersllc

I don't know what to say.  ::)
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

KirkD

Lefties are the only people with the right hand. 8)
Wood-mizer LT40HD-G24 Year 1989

woodyone.john

you are made of the right stuff.
Saw millers are just carpenters with bigger bits of wood

OffGrid973

What happens when you reach into the bag of left handed gloves, still a 5 count :)
Your Fellow Woodworker,
- Off Grid

terrifictimbersllc

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

goose63

MM if you don't need those right handed gloves Randy could use them and might have a few left handed to trade you   :D :D :D
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

jwilly3879

Work with a mason that would just put them upside down on the opposite hand.

Greyman

You're all right...   ;D

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: KirkD on October 31, 2018, 02:57:07 PM
Lefties are the only people with the right hand. 8)
My left handed buddy used to say everyone is born left handed till they commit their first sin then they automatically become right handed. ???

(I thought I had posted this but don't see it so am trying again. If not appropriate and being purged please let me know. I do not mean to offend anyone by accident - I can do enough of that intentionally. ;))

Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Magicman

I give up Ken, your buddy Randy wins.  :o

That picture reminds us all not to complain about having little because there is always someone that has nothing.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

rjwoelk

I keep wearing out the first 1 or 2 fingers. So I take the old pair, cut the good fingers off and strip them over the wore out ones and glue them on. They are a little stiff at first but it works.
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

Lawg Dawg

I just bare hand everything...makes em TOUGH!  :D

2018  LT 40 Wide 999cc, 2019 t595 Bobcat track loader,
John Deere 4000, 2016 F150, Husky 268, 394xp, Shindiawa 591, 2 Railroad jacks, and a comealong. Woodmaster Planer, and a Skilsaw, bunch of Phillips head screwdrivers, and a pair of pliers!

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

Crossroads

That's interesting, I almost always blow out the thumb or index finger on my right hand and I'm right handed. 
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Chuck White

I wear mine out just like Crossroads, thumb and index finger on my right glove, I'm right handed.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

thecfarm

Hang onto them!! Seem like mine go like that,than I have the lefts. ;D 
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

Strangely my left middle finger always wears through first, and almost always in that spot.  

I guess it is the strongest finger on my left hand and gets the most wear when picking up boards.

SawyerTed

I must be amphibious!  :D  There's no rhyme or reason the way my gloves wear out!   :D :D
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

justallan1

Turn them inside out and you'll have 5 left hand gloves.
Years ago pulling green chain, if I couldn't find mittens I'd use gloves. Gloves just didn't hold up, so we'd find two that were good, turn one inside out and have a pair of brand new gloves.
I also learned that with the price of Levi's, sexy or not, leather aprons are worth gold! 8)

WV Sawmiller

Lawg Dawg,

I find not using gloves just tenderizes my hands so skip the toughening process. ;) I use cheap HF gloves as I find they tear up just as fast as the $15-$20 White or Brown mule or other high cost brands. I was moving some 8/4 LE slabs the other day and smashed one down on a bed rail. Boy did it hurt. Then I got to thinking how much more it would have been hurting without the glove on that hand. :o
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Magicman

I do not saw without gloves.  Ditto; steel toe boots, dust mask, eye & ear protection, hat, and my ever present leather waist apron.

Jeff

I must have the same quirk as Magicman.   I went to get a pair of gloves out of the truck while sawing in the U.P.  and only found right handed gloves. probably 4 or 5, and not a one left to go with them.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

redbeard

Same situation here, I have a drawer full of Rights and scared too toss them because the lefts will show up and then I will be back in same boat.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

terrifictimbersllc

Today I was organizing stuff in the garage and decided to go through a bag full of old gloves. It was a delightful mixture of fungus, mildew and mold. 

I had 7 right hand gloves with no mate.
And 1 left hand glove with no mate.

What is going on?  I am right handed.  I think I probably take off the right hand glove when working much more than the left hand glove.  Does this mean I wear out the left ones first?  

Maybe we can hear from some lefties about their glove inventory.
And is this reversed for you folks "down under" ?

I think it is time to start a poll.

Thank You Sponsors!