iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Seafood, South Louisiana style

Started by LeeB, April 09, 2014, 09:57:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeeB

Fine seafood, courtesy of The Boiling Point last night. Went back and had mudbugs tonight. No pics of the bugs. Got too busy eating and forgot. Only evidence now is the receipt and a swollen belly. First time I've been down here in 10 years. Had to come down for a training course. Plan on bringing home 2 or 3 sacks to have a boil when I get home. Yuuummmmmmmmm.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Magicman

Lafayette & New Iberia are certainly the places to go for good Cajun cooking.

Our crawfish boil is scheduled for the 26th.  food6
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

sawguy21

We luvs seafood. ;D What are mud bugs? I have had some outstanding cajun dishes.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

LeeB

'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

BradMarks

Crawfish pie, jambalay, filet gumbo. Still early here, but I hope seafood's for dinner! 8)

Ken

Gotta love pretty much anything that comes from the water.
Lots of toys for working in the bush

sandhills

Quote from: Ken on April 10, 2014, 07:49:01 PM
Gotta love pretty much anything that comes from the water.
I agree, but I'll let you eat the carp  ;).

sawguy21

Certain Asian cultures enjoy carp. ;D I once tried raw oysters, hesitated at first but they were pretty good with the marinade he used. Certainly not to everyone's taste though.  I can't leave them alone breaded and fried or smoked.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Magicman

We'll be having White Perch for lunch.  Some non-Southerners call them White Crappie.  In South Louisiana they are called Sakalay, but no matter what you call them, the filets are mighty fine eating.  Maybe not as good as Bluegills, but still mighty fine.   food6
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Texas Ranger

Magic, would you recognize coobiyon (spelling is bad, but a south Louisiana favorite of mine) made with crappie?
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Magicman

"COO-VEE-OHN" is normally heavy with tomato/bell peppers which are not my favorites.  I am OK with the taste, but the indigestion later, not so much.   ;D

Texas Ranger

With french bread for dipping, and a cold beer, hard to beat.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

DanG

I have a question of semantics.  Are freshwater fish still considered "seafood?"
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Magicman

To me no, but it does get interchanged quite often.   Most of our "catfish" restaurants offer shrimp/oysters along with catfish under the "Sea Food" listing on the menu so they are partially correct. 

Al_Smith

You get spoiled .That stint I did in the navy I was obviously around the ocean .Fresh sea food ,love it .This stuff you get in the middle of a midwestern corn field just isn't the same .Good beef though.

DanG

Al, I can think of no good reason why you couldn't get fresh seafood up there, but I know you are right.  A truck could make it to you in one day if they have 2 drivers.  The best seafood restaurants down here serve what is available rather than trying to stick with a set menu.  They are not shy about telling you they are out of something, or suggesting something because it is particularly fresh.  Most seafood items are seasonal, so if you order something that is out of season it will come from the freezer and not be nearly as good.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

LeeB

Brought home 2 sacks. Mud bugs, cold beer and good friends tonight.  digin_2

47sawdust

My wife and I took a trip to Lafayette back in !997.The food and the music were out of this world.
What a unique place.Drinking beer and dancing the two step at 9 a.m. at Fred's lounge in Eunice on a Saturday morning is something we will always remember.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

pappy19

Those Coon-Ass folks really know how to have a good time, and I mean family time. Dancing and eating at a food/dance place is the norm there. I love it!!!!
2008 F-250 V-10
2007 Lincoln LT
1996 Ford Bronco
Kubota 900 RTV
Shindiawa fan

LeeB

First batch on to boil. Second batch waiting.

Big pot borrowed from my good friend Mark.

First batch hot out of the pot

Good food is always better when shared with friends

Lindy gets down on some corn. Everyone ate htier fill and then we peeled the rest to freeze for later in the year. Yummy.

Magicman

Lookin' good Lee.  We are counting down to our big day on the 26th.  Mudbugs, taters, corn, and other fixins.   food6

WildDog

Lee they sure look good :) When you freeze them do you leave them in the shell? In my area summer is short and they sort of hibernate once the water gets down to 14 degrees C. By freezing them I could extend the eating experience.
Never heard them called mudbugs, I like it :D we call them freshwater crayfish or yabbies, then in the sea we have saltwater crays and yabbies two totally different animals ???

All this talk of seafood I am getting hungry, but in an hour we are leaving the farm and heading off for our annual 3 days at Iluka a sleepy little fishing village on the NSW coast 8)   
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

petefrom bearswamp

Leeb how do you eat em?
Just dive in and spit out the outsides?
My wife who I love dearly would turn up her nose at a method such as just diving in.
I love food that runs down your chin
Pete
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

LeeB

Wilddog,
I leave some in the shell before freezing if I plan on eating them soon, otherwise they get peeled.
Pete,
Pull off the head, peel off the first two rings of shell from the tail, give the tail a pinch and the meat will come out of the shell. About the same as peeling shrimp. I like to squeeze the head and suck out the fat from in there. A lot of people don't.

WDH

You can also pull off the head, grip the end of the meat sticking out just a bit from the shell with your teeth, then pinch the end of the tail and pull the meat out of the shell with your teeth, then eat, all in one motion.  I have seen people that are expert at this, and they can eat them twice as fast as the peelers  :).

This method always results in more intimacy with the mudbugs and some juice on the chin.  The spices will also sting your lips  :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!