iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

want to recommend a setup?

Started by 1270d, March 06, 2011, 06:02:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1270d

Thinking about building a camp with some large white pine logs.   would probably saw them into 6 x whatever cants and just stack them for walls   the some of the pine logs would be 30 plus inches  in diameter and 24 foot long.   

I know basically nothing about sawmilling and would like some ideas.  What type of mill will handle this type of wood?   what is the availability of such a mill and where could i see one.  (on the web or a dealer)

thank you

Ianab

Because of the size and length of the logs I would be looking at a swing blade mill.

Standard lengths are usually around 20ft, but extensions are available. The Peterson WPF is easy to extend as the rails simply sit on the ground. With the swing blade system the log also sits on the ground and you just start sawing off boards or beams. No need to turn the log while sawing, which is a big issue on those big ones.

Have a look at the Peterson, Lucas Mill and Turbo-Saw links over on the left, they have pics and videos there and several of us have various models if you have more questions.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Nomad

Ian might have the right idea.  Look for a swingmill with enough extensions.  The 30" diameter shouldn't be a big deal.  But the 24' length could be a deal-breaker.  Most portable sawmills can't cut anything that long.  You ought to consider support equipment, too.  I don't think you're gonna pick up a green 24' 6x6 anything and go strollin around with it!
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

1270d

thanks guys, ill look at these links     

as for moving the stuff around we'll have a forwarder there to move things about.   not planning on sawing all six by six rather whatever i can get out of the log    6x26 two 6x16's and as many othe 6x as possible      VERY heavy im sure    most of this will be done in winter to make moving them around slightly easier.   also they will be milled on the site of the building. this is also where the trees will be felled.

carykong

Stay in touch with your build. 6Xwhatever will be heavy and will go faster with a loader.  Would a lighter frame like 6x6 cants and conventional framing lumber have interest for you?  Ya won't need as many trees and the heavy lifting will be spared. Just wondering.

1270d

this all is still a dream although   with a direction.   we have the land and the trees, now just need the mill and the time.   considered a chainsaw mill until we contacted some people that have run them.   way too slow.   we'll need to sawsomewhere around 20,000 bf total for a camp and sauna.  The other option would be vertical log walls, but these pines have to be cleared to make room for the building site.

we might consider going down to 4 inch cants but 6 has so much better insulatating value. 

will post pics whenever we get going

Meadows Miller

Gday

And Welcome to The Forum 1270d I take it your a Timberjack Man Mate  ;) ;D ;D 8) 8)

With Mill Selection everyone has given good advice like afew have said and I agree with them that a swing mill would most likely be the best choice and are the chepest to extend also Mate  ;)

Ill add I will be in the States from Mid July and will have acess to a 10-30 Lucas mill and Lucas mills and Baileys Pickup for 3 months in exchange for doing a couple of shows including the Shootout just call Me Lucky   :) :) ;) :D ;D 8) 8) 8) I would be interested in doing the sawmilling for you but would have to organize a 6' ext kit for your job Mate  ;)

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

weisyboy

lucas mills can easyly be extended to cut 28-30' with the 2m extensions.

it will use up a lot of log. is tehre a way to do it without using so mutch timber.

on a side note how would sawdust work as insulation insode a wall?
god bless america god save the queen god defend new zealand and thank christ for Australia
www.weisssawmilling.com.au
http://www.youtube.com/user/weisyboy?feature=mhee
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000696669814&sk=photos

Thank You Sponsors!