iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Walnut?

Started by flibob, March 04, 2011, 12:01:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flibob

I was just up to my sister's new place.  There is a very nice tree on the ground.  It still has bark which looks like the bark of the walnut trees around it.  The end cuts have a very stained look.  It seems very solid.  She has lived there since Thanksgiving and the tree was there when she moved in.  Is there a good way to tell the species without dragging the logs three hours back to my place?  There is some cottonwood in the vicinity which confuses me. (not unusual)  I didn't have my camera which would really help.

Thanks
The ranch is so big and I'm such a little cowboy

ATLGA

Do a google search under images for walnut bark and leaves. that should help you figure it out pretty easily.
America First.

Bibbyman

Cut into it a couple 2-3" inches or chop a hunk off it.  If its walnut, dark brown chips will start coming out.  Cottonwood is pretty white about half way into it and then light brown in the center. Cottonwood bark tends to be more rough and light gray but walnut that's been down can be light gray too.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

terrifictimbersllc

Walnut heartwood is very dark.  The light colored log on the right is ash.  When first exposed, as in a freshly cross-cut end, the heartwood and sawdust are green, but then turn purple-brown within a few minutes. The width of sapwood is variable and much larger, proportionally to the heartwood,  in the branches.   Nevertheless even the small branches will have very dark heartwood.   If you chopped into a log from a recently fallen walnut tree, you should encounter creamy white chips then after a couple inches, dark green heartwood which turns purple on being exposed to light and air. 
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

albirk

it stinks to be color blind never new chips where green and then purple just white then brown (just like when my wife asked what do you think of the colors i picked out to paint the bedroom) looks good to me

flibob

Thanks for the help.  The entire end where it was is black.  I will take the trailer up and get it.   When I get it back and saw it I'll post some pics.
The ranch is so big and I'm such a little cowboy

SDB777

Deleted comment

Here is an example of the kind of PM the Admins put up with fairly regularly when members (usually newer ones) get on their high horse and abuse the forum.  To make sure that the forum is punished sufficiently, they delete their posts, like this one did, or find some other way of trying to bolster their bravado. This one hails from Arkansas. I guess even a fine state like that has its grumps.

I suppose that this makes him feel better.

QuoteSo if I offended your delicate feelings....so what!  
Well, back to trying to read all of the posts that are being made.  It's tough to keep up when you have to read them all.  Most are only concerned with five or six.  Heck, this guy only has 11 posts himself.  I guess he couldn't handle being a "Real" member.
Homelite (POS)$30 saw for bucking
Stihl MS390 w/24" for ripping

Thank You Sponsors!