iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Search for Anchorseal Alternative

Started by YellowHammer, May 09, 2019, 11:27:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

YellowHammer

Some folks may remember I have been searching for an equally effective but lower priced alternative for Anchorseal, since they have significantly increased their overall price including shipping.  

Last time I bought Anchorseal, I paid $34 shipping for a $93, 5 gallon bucket for a total delivered price of $127.

I've bought a batch of "Green Wood Sealer" distributed from Klingspors Woodworking Shop, which appears to be very similar to Anchorseal, and on my initial runs, just as effective.  It seems to be the same type of wax emulsion, and works well, so far.  The jury is still out, but I just ordered another batch, so it looks promising.  

Total price ($84.75 + $7.99 S&H) for 5 gallons (sold by the gallon)? $92.74 

Percent delivered savings, about 27%.

If anyone tries some, I would be interested in their opinions on its effectiveness.

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

If a few people go together and get a 55 gallon drum of Anchorseal and then share, the price will come down.  One way to lower the price is to water the solution down, so always look at the "solids content."
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Magicman

Not an alternative but I bought one gallon of Anchorseal from eBay in February, paid $42.79 free shipping.  I see that it is now $44.54 with free shipping:  Anchorseal

This my help someone that only needs a gallon.

I just looked at your product from Kingspor's, gallon= $16.95 + $7.99 flat rate shipping, almost  half.  :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Babylon519

Canadian price for Anchorseal 2 is $91.40. For one gallon. That's a deal, considering that a quart is $71.50! But ... free shipping   8).
- Jason
Jason
1960 IH B-275 - same vintage as me!
1960 Circle Sawmill 42"
Stihl MS440 & a half-dozen other saws...

xlogger

I like everyone are always looking for a better buy, but I finally got a cheap hand sprayer like I've always heard YH talk about here and wonder why I didn't do it years ago. So much easier and faster than brushing and at my age not as much bending over to paint. I only use it a couple times so far and mix it 1/2 Anchorseal and water. 
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

YellowHammer

smiley_thumbsup smiley_thumbsup
A spray rig is the way to go.  No more bending over, and very quick.
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Thank You Sponsors!