iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

wood treatment spray question

Started by yukon cornelius, August 03, 2014, 11:45:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yukon cornelius

ok don't yell at me, I know its been over a million times....I need to know a recipe and where to get the stuff. can I use just borax and water?  where we live has pretty limited shopping options without going to "the big city"
working with hardwoods and eastern red cedar. the problem is mainly the cedar. bugs in the sapwood.

thanks
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

Left Coast Chris

I just bought a 5 gal pail of Timbor at Do My Own Pest Control.  Free shipping.  Came in 5 days normal snail mail.
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

scsmith42

I buy my Timbor off of e-bay and it ships in via UPS.  About $87.00 for a 25 lb pail.

WDH uses Solubor, but I have not been able to source it locally so I go the Timbor route instead.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

WDH

Go to a place that sells fertilizer to farmers and ask them to get you some solubor.  About $50 for 50 pounds.  Mix 1 pound to a gallon of water. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

yukon cornelius

do I just spray it on liberally as in saturating the surface? how far does a gallon go? is it dangerous for kids or pets? thanks for the help so far!

WDH

Safe for kids and pets.  A gallon will spray about 250 BF.  Yes, spray it liberally until the surface is totally wet.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

yukon cornelius

WDH

Sorry, I messed up.  It takes about 3 gallons to spray 250 BF  :)

yukon cornelius

thanks for the correction. I would have thought I was putting in on too thick when it took me 3 times more for me than you.

sawwood

We have had ants in our air dry lumber and want to use the Timbor on the lumber.
from what I read it leaves a white power on the wood, can this be brushed off when
we put it in the solar kiln ?

Sawwood
Norwood M4 manual mill, Solar Kiln, Woodmaster
18" planer/molder

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

When declaring a chemical to be safe, it is best to refer to the MSDS sheet for that chemical.  Indeed, Timbor is fairly safe, with a few concerns regarding inhalation nd eye contact.

See
www.biconet.com/crawlers/infosheets/TimborMSDS.pdf
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

WDH

The solution that I use does not leave a white powder on the lumber. 

sawwood

Found a store that sells Timbor and picked up a 1.5 pound bag. It was $10.50
and that was with tax. Now I need a sprayer to spray my stack as I build it. Thanks
WDH for the info.

Sawwood
Norwood M4 manual mill, Solar Kiln, Woodmaster
18" planer/molder

yukon cornelius

Quote from: GeneWengert-WoodDoc on August 10, 2014, 03:30:55 PM
When declaring a chemical to be safe, it is best to refer to the MSDS sheet for that chemical.  Indeed, Timbor is fairly safe, with a few concerns regarding inhalation nd eye contact.

See
www.biconet.com/crawlers/infosheets/TimborMSDS.pdf

thanks for adding that. I appreciate all the effort you guys put in to helping me out!

Thank You Sponsors!