iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

One of those days

Started by brdmkr, April 21, 2006, 11:50:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brdmkr

I went over to a friends to cut up some southern red oak this afternoon.  Everything that could have went wrong did (well, likely not EVERYTHING).  Any of you Lucas owners ever have the lynch pen come out on you while you were pushing the saw along the edge of the log :o :o :o :o :o :o?  You know, just when you are opening it up so the blade is not supported.  Let me tell you, that AIN't cool.  Little wire flippy deal just come out.  Luckily, I had another, but it got my attention. 

Found out that the nails that I thought I had missed in the last log on the last cut really weren't missed.  Had to finally change out a blade. 

The tree had been dead for a good while, so the outside was a bit punky, but the inside was sound and yielded some pretty wood, but there was a knot that kept having its way with my blade.   

I had to have my water spout wide open to get any water.  Got to looking and found that slime in my water tank had clogged up my water spout.   Got that all cleaned out and flowing freely again. 

Finally, I'd love to say that I cut some great lumber, but I can't >:(.   I'll admit that I have not cut that much lumber, but I thought I was getting better each time, but this load was the WORST I have ever cut.  I probably cut 350 bdft in about 6 hours (what production :-[) and if I were cutting it for someone else, I'd feel like I owed them for messing up their wood :D.  It is days like today that make me want  to....

do it again tomorrow! ;D
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

Buzz-sawyer

Yep!
When everything is breaking, rollin of the tracks.....dulling and generally agrivating......I thank God for my sawmill :D :D
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Tom

Things could have really been a lot worse.  DanG could have showed up and Laughed out loud at you.  :D

Buzz-sawyer

Oh, I have suffered the infrequent indignity of his woody wood pecker staccato of mad laughter.......and I rue the day....oh yes  my friends , rue the day:( :( :'(
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

DanG

You don't know how true that is, Tom.  I was right up the street from Mike's house buying tires, about that time.  I thought about givin' him a call, but Linda's car was up on blocks and I really needed to get that new tire on the tractor. ::)  Now I wish I'd have chased him down. ;D :D :D

Hang in there, Mike!  That sort of thing happens to everybody, and merely assures that you'll have a better day tomorrow. ;)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

thecfarm

Don't ever say,"Boy,what a day,it can't get worse than this" Because it will. At least there was no blood involved.That's a good day.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

brdmkr

Well DanG, the next time yhou are in town, I'll be happy to show you the boards.  In fact, I'll show any of you the boards IF you'll come see them.  THERE WILL NOT BE PICTURES UNLESS YOU TAKE THEM :D :D :D :D :D :D

I will NOT incriminate myself :o :o :o :o
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

Larry

All of the sudden I'm way behind on sawing and gotta put it in overdrive...so first thing this morning greased the mill, drained the old oil, and promptly broke the pipe extension nipple for the drain plug where it screws into the block.  Felt pretty smug cause I got it fixed in bout 1/2 hour and didn't have to make a trip to town.

First three small logs sawed fast...dropped the fourth log on the feed chain and broke that.  No problem got a repair link...somewhere.  Eat lunch and put up my umbrella up to keep the sun off me...broke the umbrella.  Fifth log I'm hot and not paying attention...sawed the log stop with a new band.  Not one to let up, threw a re-sharpened band on...had to run to keep up with the carriage.  The band had a hook angle for basswood and I was sawing walnut.  Big time waves.

It's tea time now...boss off to the weekly consignment auction.  Really heavy set of skidding tongs there...maybe my luck is due for a change.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

dail_h

Why shoot ,Mike,I've had a run a luck like that go 3 - 4 weeks 'fore it'd turn bad ;D
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

Larry

So I ate couple pounds of schrooms just to get my spirits and energy level back up.  Take a walk out to the shop to sharpen few bands for tomorrow's adventure and happen to notice little shiny spot on the back of the tractor.

My skidding tongs.  Iffen it ain't broke it's fixin to break and iffen it ain't fixin to break your not using it hard enough.  Send it to me. :D
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

sawguy21

You didn't catch that any too soon. :o Them shrooms must be good for yer eyesight too. :D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Captain

Had one of those days yesteday....simple job to install 18 fence posts for some privacy fencing for a customer.  Wouldn't you know, he lives on a worse rock farm than I do and the 3pt hitch auger was about useless.  Anyone else ever set fence posts with a backhoe??  Even broke a tooth on a rock  >:(

Captain

highpockets

Brdmkr, you ever have a mess like this. Maybe Dang can put mine and your in the sawmill hall of fame.

Captian, I have set some highline (power) poles with my backhoe. 
Louisiana Country boy
homemade mill, 20 h.p. Honda & 4 h.p. for hydraulics.  8 hydraulic circuits, loads, clamps, rotates, etc.

wiam

Captain  I have had to have a trench dug to set gaurdrail posts. ::) ::)  That was in Woodstock, NH

Will

lmbeachy

Highpockets, did you really do that on purpose, just to show us that it could be done.
hotfoot

Todd

Highpockets, that had got to be the biggest pinewood derby car blank I have EVER seen!! ;D

I had one of those days the other day....dug 5 nails out of an ash log only to find six more deeper in.

I coulda just used a stud finder to reject that log!
Making somthing idiot-proof only leads to the creation of bigger idiots!

brdmkr

Highpockets,

I'm with you on the hall of fame.  Maybe we could get DanG to serve as the historian to archive some of the finer works of forum members.   I was able to cut off a lot of my messes.  I just have a bunch of, let's just say, um short,  boards :D

In the process of checking on that mess of a whack, I noticed a white powdery substance on the side of my tractor.  My battery was leaking :o.  I washed evrything off and sprinkled baking soda on everything.  Hopefully, I got to it before too much damage was done.  I suppose those bad boards may have saved my fuel lines.

highpockets

The first place was an accident.  I was sawing the final side on the cant then was going to rotate it 90 and start cutting ????  2x6"s.  When it messed up I just kept lowering the head and feeding it.  It was a piece of sweetgum and I decided I'd just see if things would get any better or not.  Looks like NOT.

Louisiana Country boy
homemade mill, 20 h.p. Honda & 4 h.p. for hydraulics.  8 hydraulic circuits, loads, clamps, rotates, etc.

Thank You Sponsors!