Homemade whole log debarker

Started by 4x4American, December 28, 2015, 10:42:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

4x4American

Any of you made a whole log debarker?  Pics be great
Boy, back in my day..

isawlogs

Here I thought I was going to see one !!  :D 
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

barbender

Too many irons in the fire

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: barbender on December 28, 2015, 11:57:49 PM
Quote from: isawlogs on December 28, 2015, 11:07:40 PM
Here I thought I was going to see one !!  :D

Me too, Marcel!

I saw a Goat debark a whole log and that is the truth!  piston-smiley

I know paper mills have peelers. Can make a log slicker than a whistle. But I've never seen a homemade one.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

scully

That's a prety tall order but I think if I had the front half of an 8-N some old plow edges off them state snow plow trucks and a revolving door from one of them city stores I cuwd build one .......
I bleed orange  .

4x4American

My friend is thinking about building one.  Using spinning chains.
Boy, back in my day..

beenthere

Spinning chains ??  Maybe like a flail mower? 

Which just might work, if one can control the roll and flow of the log along with the rpm of the flail.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

4x4American

Yea I might help I was thinking to have a troth with a a dual chain turner for the log, and have one of those plow truck chains that whip the ground in front of tire to break up ice, powered by a hydraulic motor, mounted on a rail that goes back and forth via a chain system, and a diesel engine powering the whole setup.
Boy, back in my day..

sandsawmill14

i would think a rosser head setup would work better than  chains. you could probably use the same drum or what ever the chains are on and just replace the chains with homemade teeth or short spikes. we used to run one that was so old and patched up it could almost count as home made :o :D :D :D
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

tmbrcruiser

I don't think chain flail would be simplest answer to debark a log. I am familiar with chain flails on chippers to remove bark and limbs during whole tree chipping. As you would expect during the winter the flail will remove a lot of small limbs and not so much bark. That being said, I am sure the design would be different so the results would be different.
Once you get sap in your veins, you will always have sawdust in your pockets.

Jeff

I suspect you could pick up a Morbark Debarker at a sawmill auction far cheaper than you could ever build one. I know from years of experience, that a log debarker is the most abused piece of equipment in a mill operation. They take a terrible beating. Its not something you can just throw together.  Remember, every single log is different from the next. large, small, crooked, hard, soft, bark comes off like chips or it comes off like binder twine.  I know far more people that have been hurt by a debarker than a sawmill. That is another consideration.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Ox

Years ago the manure spreader of choice around here was the chain type flail barrel spreader.  Just a round trailer body with a large opening on the right side and a large pipe in the top middle with many large chains.  Spin it up and the brown gold had nowhere to go but out the side.  They worked great but when you started losing chains they ended up in the field for the next machine to pick up (bad news) and it would start to self destruct from being off balance.  Now you see many of them converted to wood trailers with the classic round barrel bottom.  Find one used and complete and it'll be a heck of a start toward a chain type debarker.

It's gotta be easier to have a long floating arm that follows the log contours as the log is being turned like you see in some of the commercial mills.  Building the live table I think would be harder, for the feed and turning of the logs.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

york

Spinning chain,will not work too well,it will just drive the dirt deeper,ya want an rosser head set up and if you do find a used debarker,get ready to rebuild it.....
Albert

Kbeitz

You can buy mill hogs off ebay cheap That should last for a while.
That should be great for a home made unit.

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Dave Shepard

I agree with Jeff. Unless you have a lot of high grade junk and a machine shop, it's almost certainly going to be cheaper to buy a used debarker. I've been thinking about debarkers a bit lately. Phase four or five of my sawmill operation will require one. Fortunately, I'm still on phase two. :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Percy

GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

sandsawmill14

something else to consider is speed a debarker has to be fast and do a good job or it will cost more than just sawing without it :)
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

Brucer

I saw a hydraulic debarker working in a pulp mill many years ago. It was a ring of high pressure water jets and the log passed through (at about the same speed as a bandsaw carriage). They ran the water and bark through a screen, fed the water to a settling tank, and then filtered it for re-use.

A few years ago a contractor wanted a funky handrail for a deck and stair combination. He found a small diameter Douglas-Fir that had a lot of sweep in two planes and he was going to build the deck and stairs to match :o. He came to me for advice on how to debark it.
I told him a drawknife would do it. He told me it was way to slow, so I suggested a pressure washer. He tried an 1800 PSI electric and all it did was clean the bark. Then he tried a 2400 PSI gas unit that his neighbour owned. That just cleaned the stuff that he missed the first time. I suggested he needed way more pressure than that (notice I let him tell me what wasn't working before I made the suggestion)

Finally he rented a 3200 PSI gas powered pressure washer and that did the job nicely. In fact, he said he had to work quickly or it would start to tear off the sapwood.

So ... could you make a log handler that would feed a log past a pressure washer?
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Gearbox

The one mill I have hauled to has a wheel that looks like a feed roll on a processer head . It is electric driven and set at some angle . The log turns and advances past the cutter wheel . seems to work well on 16 ft red & white pine .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

4x4American

Interesting....was that a steam unit?  It's definitely possible...but during the winter time I wouldn't be able to use it, and the ground where I am setting up is clay and doesn't need any more water!
Boy, back in my day..

JRWoodchuck

Quote from: Kbeitz on December 29, 2015, 09:38:51 AM
You can buy mill hogs off ebay cheap That should last for a while.
That should be great for a home made unit.

What did you look those up under? I can't seem to find anything like that when I search mill hog.
Thanks!
Home built bandsaw mill still trying find the owners manual!

Alligator

Quote from: Jeff on December 29, 2015, 08:39:14 AM
I suspect you could pick up a Morbark Debarker at a sawmill auction far cheaper than you could ever build one. I know from years of experience, that a log debarker is the most abused piece of equipment in a mill operation. They take a terrible beating. Its not something you can just throw together.  Remember, every single log is different from the next. large, small, crooked, hard, soft, bark comes off like chips or it comes off like binder twine.  I know far more people that have been hurt by a debarker than a sawmill. That is another consideration.

X2! I've maintained 2 types a Morbark and a Cambio ring type. They are by far the most abused, and highest maintenance piece of equipment on a sawmill yard. Bark disposal makes sawdust removal look like a minor problem. One log makes a pile of bark twice the size of the sawdust that comes from the same log. You are disposing of all the bark from a log. You are trying to make as small amount of sawdust as possible.
Esterer Sash Gang is a  Money Machine

Thank You Sponsors!