iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Redwood in Georgia

Started by WDH, February 25, 2016, 07:33:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WDH

At my friend Jerry Peacock's sawmill.  Planted about 100 years ago in Hawkinsville, Georgia.  Did not measure it, but looks to be over 40" in diameter.  The main bole to where it was topped is 100' long.  It was bucked into 4 sections. 

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

drobertson

My dream is to one day saw some redwood, I would even saw on shares if at all possible, I would saw it for free, oh, yea I would for some of it,, ;D
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Sixacresand

Danny, Was that the only Redwood?  Was it cut down because it died, its time to be harvested or in the way of progress?
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

fishpharmer

Impressive log! Danny, thank you for sharing.  Guess that answers "will redwood trees grow in the South?"
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

WDH

Some construction work near the tree compacted the soil around the tree and killed it.  Nothing like progress.  So, it was salvaged.  There are two more remaining in Hawkinsville, although I only know of the location of one. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

customsawyer

Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Weekend_Sawyer

I have a Dawn Redwood in my front yard. My parents planted it about 54 years ago as a sapling. Over the years we used to marvel at the amount of growth it would put on in a year. 10 years ago I figured it's height at over 60'.

My mother loved this tree so when she passed away we put her ashes around its base so she is now a part of this tree. When her dog passed a couple of years later we buried her at the base so she is also now part of this tree.

Urban sprawl has finally caught up with what once was a woodland oasis between Baltimore and Washington. What once was woods all around us is now becoming town houses.

I'm going to cut this story short as I am feeling more emotional than I thought I would.
We are thinking about selling out to the developers. This tree and some others have great meaning to me and before I sign on the dotted line I will make sure that they make their way into my tree farm house build. You see the good thing is that I plan on building my "Retirement home" on my tree farm in West Virginia.

The Dawn Redwood is the tallest tree just left of center and you can just see my house at it's base.

Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

tnaz

Thanks for sharing; truly special. And a GREAT use for the wood.
Terry

DanG

WDH, has Jerry sawed any of that log yet?  It will be interesting to find out how the quality of the lumber is compared to the old growth redwood from the PNW.  :P
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

WDH

Last that I heard, he had not.  Waiting on sawing instructions from the town.

Texas Ranger

Danny, you may be aware of the some 35 acres of redwoods planted in Texas, at Temple's Joe's lake.  I saw them in the early '70's and they were somewhere around 30-35 foot tall, have not been back since.  They were running elk on the same land.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

mrector

I planted 10 giant sequoias back in 2013 for my parents as their mother/father's day present. So far they're doing good. 7 survive, because some persistent critter kept digging up the other 3. They were about the size of a pencil when I got them.  Now they're over 3 feet tall and around 1 inch dia.
Planted near VA NC border beside the new river.
Mikey
Woodmizer LT35HD25 brand new!
Stihl 044 and my favorite: ms260 pro
Homemade logging arch
Homemade hitch log picker-upper
DanG Deadheader log loading trailer.

Deese

This is me standing in front of a Redwood tree in Northern CA a few years back...I think it's a tad too big for my EZ Boardwalk Jr  :D :D

2004 LT40 Super 51hp w/6' bed extension
Cooks AE4P Edger
Cat Claw sharpener/Dual Tooth Setter
Kubota svl75-2 skidsteer w/grapple, forks, brushcutter
1977 Log Hog Knuckleboom loader/truck

WDH

Redwood in Rotorua, New Zealand.

chickenchaser

Deese - I've heard tell of folks taking a chainsaw to large logs and trimming 'em down a bit so they'll go on the mill...
WoodMizer LT35HD

JD 3720 w/loader. 1983 Chevrolet C30 dump. 1973 Ford F600 w/stickloader. 35,000 chickens.

Deese

Quote from: chickenchaser on March 02, 2016, 08:05:26 PM
Deese - I've heard tell of folks taking a chainsaw to large logs and trimming 'em down a bit so they'll go on the mill...

Ha...Ha...
Cooks AE4P Edger

Deese

Hey Chickenchaser ---I see you raise chickens. We (my father) raises quail and pheasants. Bunches of them. 50k+ Bobwhites a year plus thousands of pheasants. Now, if somebody wants to know what real hard work feels like, just message me and I will hook you up! If folks think sawmilling is tough, then come on over and I will let you catch some quail and pheasants. 
Cooks AE4P Edger

Ianab

Promotion video for the forest in WDH's picture.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMWXJD3rXA8

Those trees where planted in 1901 as an experiment into what exotic trees would grow well enough to sustain a long term forestry industry in NZ. They realised the native trees grew too slowly to be an economic crop at a sustainable level. So they planted stands of ~170 different trees to see which ones would be more suitable.

The redwoods grew very well on that particular site, but weren't consistent on other sites where frost or less moisture caused problems. So they never became a significant part of NZ forestry, and Radiata pine was chosen as the best plantation species, with Douglas fir for the colder areas.

The 6 hectares of Redwoods where just left to grow and have ended up as a tourist attraction along with the rest of the forest area.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Deese

Ianab---that is just too cool  :)
Cooks AE4P Edger

chickenchaser

Quote from: Deese on March 02, 2016, 09:26:57 PM
if somebody wants to know what real hard work feels like, just message me and I will hook you up! If folks think sawmilling is tough, then come on over and I will let you catch some quail and pheasants.
Yeah - I believe it. Sawmilling is my R&R these days.
If you choose, you can turn the key off and shut the mill down a day...a week...a month. Not the case with the animals.

Do you and your father use the birds or supply other folks?
WoodMizer LT35HD

JD 3720 w/loader. 1983 Chevrolet C30 dump. 1973 Ford F600 w/stickloader. 35,000 chickens.

tgweber

I rescued this tree and was told it's a Dawn Red Wood. Very nice wood that cuts like butter and weighs less than dried cedar.

Thank You Sponsors!