iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Best gas grills on the market?

Started by Paschale, May 05, 2006, 05:48:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paschale

Hi all,

I've been using a cheapie-Joe charcoal grill ever since I moved into my house.  Tired of it--too small, doesn't vent well, and won't stay hot if I leave the lid on.  It's crapola, and I'm looking to upgrade.  I want a gas grill this time around, and wondering, mainly, what brands you've had good and bad experiences with.

There's a Thermos Stainless grill on sale this weekend at Target that I'm thinking about.  It's stainless, but from some stuff I've read online, it's the cheap kind, the stuff that a magnet will stick to, so it will probably rust down the road. 

They've rated Char-Broil as a Best Buy at Lowe's too.

I don't want to spend more than $300, if I can avoid it.  And, I'd really like to find one that has the option of attaching a rotisserie, as well as a side burner.

Any suggestions, both as to specific products, as well as things to look for, i.e. things that annoy the heck out of you now that you have the grill you own.

Thanks!

Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

CHARLIE

Here's my theory on gas grills.  Get them on sale.  Get a big two burner (mine is 45,000 BTU and has a grill that is 25½ inches long).  Get a name brand so you can buy replacement parts.

About 10 years ago, I bought a Coleman (Charmglo makes them for Coleman and they make them for other brand names too) 45,000 BTU grill with a side burner (have never used the side burner).  I have had to replace the burners and the briquets and the grill, but it's still going strong.   Back when I bought it I paid about $200 for it on sale.

My son bought a big stainless steel Webber. I don't even want to know what he paid for it. But I'm figuring I can buy three grills for what he paid for his and toward the end of the life of his, mine will be almost new and I would have spent no more on my three than he did on his one.

I like my grill. 8)   I hope that makes sense.

One other thing. The reason I like gas over charcoal is that I can easily grill during the Winter.
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Tom

I'm not the expert on Gas grills.   You know I prefer an open wood fire.  If your old grill is cast iron, thick steel or thick aluminum, rather than throwing it away, why don't you make it a wood burner.  You could even use an old, worn-out but serviceable burner to get the fire started.

Years ago, I needed a grill and bought a gas grill for my apartment.  It was in the early 1980's and I didn't have a clue.  Having some money burning a hole in my pocket and nothing to spend it upon,  I went to a local gas company and purchased a Ducane.  It cost me about $400 then and was one of the smartest purchases I've ever made.  I don't use it anymore.  It's in the barn.  the stand is not in good shape but the rest of the grill is heavy aluminum and stainless steel.  It would still cook if I hooked a bottle to it.  It did me service for at least 10 years.  Parts are still available.

I would buy this grill again if I were in the market.  It has two burners and, what was called at the time, a rotisserie burner (actually a 3 burner grill).  The rotisserie burner is above the grill surface and cooks meat on the rotisserie from the side rather than underneath.  When you cook from the side, the meat drippings can be caught in a pan beneath the rotisserie and used for basting.  I would put some oil, water, spices, vinegar, or whatever, in the pan and catch the drippings in there too.  What a basting sauce!

This was as much a roaster as a grill and the kids and I enjoyed it thoroughly.  Venison roasts and back strap were flavorful and never dried out.  I became quite a celebrity with my cooking because of that third burner.

Now I cook on wood.  I would stand in the rain and cook on wood before I would light a gas burner.  Cooking on wood costs me very little. I acquired a grate from the local Ferry.  They had discarded it on the banks of the St. Johns.  My wood comes from the swamp out back.  Specialty woods can be found on the side of the road in Urban tree trimmings.  It's just there for the taking.  I use Oak to cook and cherry, hickory, or Red Bay for flavor.  Waiting for the fire to burn to the right size is part of the fun.  It allows time for visiting and you can even make a pot of coffee on it  if you think ahead some.

That Ducane is probably around $500 or $600 now.  A stainless model is sold at home depot if you need to spend more and I'm sure they well accept as much as $999.99.  :D

The cost of grills amazes me.  Even the handmade ones that I see on the side of the road are $500 to $1000.  They are made from old fuel tanks and the like.  How that kind of money is justified is beyond me.

I think that Ducane and Weber are connected somehow now.   Perhaps one bought out the other at one time.  If so, then identical products may be able to be found for different prices.  It may be worth comparing the two.

Wildflower

Paschale,

I just bought a new grill (I had been saving up my mileage checks for a little while from work) it is a charmglow. The price was not real bad either $329.00  ;D

Hey I have an idea, I know it doesn't happen often :D, but I had one, drive up tomorrow and I will let you try before you buy. I have some brats and I can make some macaroni salad. Just say the word. 8)

Here are the details on it:
Heavy-gauge, stainless-steel housing and high-powered performance make this striking and functional gas grill an attractive choice for your next outdoor gathering. A 672 sq. in. cooking area provides plenty of space to prepare food the entire family will enjoy. Three stainless-steel tube burners deliver a combined total of 36,000 BTUs for reliable cooking with even temperature control. The heavy-duty, double-layer lid retains heat to help foods cook through evenly. For added convenience, there is a patented push-and-turn ignition system.

•  12,000 BTU side burner provides additional cooking space for preparing sauces, boiling corn on the cob and more
•  7-1/2 mm flat, stainless-steel cooking grids withstand high temperatures for long-lasting performance
•  Warming rack keeps ready-made food warm while the rest of your meal finishes cooking
•  Condiment rack on side shelf is conveniently located for easy retrieval
•  Heat thermometer monitors cooking temperature to help you cook foods to perfection
•  3 stainless-steel flame tamers efficiently radiate heat without the use of lava rocks or briquettes
•  Storage rack keeps your cooking utensils and serving platters within easy reach
•  Double doors conceal the propane tank for out-of-the-way storage and a more attractive look

It is great to cook on and it holds the heat even when you have the lid open and cooking.  It cleans like a dream.
Here's is a picture of it:

Co-owner of The Forestry Forum.

Engineer

This ain't gonna help you much, but I own a Kamado K7 with LP conversion kit.

(www.kamado.com)

Take a look at 'em, if you like what you see, let me know and I'll tell you more.

sawguy21

I don't particularily like gas grills in spite of the convenience. I much prefer to use charcoal or wood and let the coals turn white before the food goes on. Too many crank the gas up and the meat tastes of it.
I weakened and bought a Weber charcoal grill for just over a hunnert canuckbucks and a bag of charcoal, not the compressed briquets. It will probably outlast me, the grill not the charcoal, and there is not a better way to cook steak on the planet.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Paschale

Wildflower, thanks for the invite!  I'd love to take a raincheck--the girlfriend and I have plans for tomorrow already.  But man, that grill looks like a beaut!  Where'd you find it?  Do you happen to know if it has a rotisserie option?  Though, reading Tom's post, I like the idea of the rotisserie side burner.  That makes a whole lot of sense.

I think I sorta fall in line with Charlie's way of thinking.  Don't wanna spend a boatload, and in five years or so, I'm sure I'll be ready for a new one anyway.  Engineer:  a buddy of mine has something very similar, called The Big Green Egg.  He loves the thing.  Only thing I don't like is the small cooking surface area, plus, it's a little pricey.  And I really want to get away from always having to fire up the charcoal anyway.  So much of my grilling is just firing the charcoal up for one person, a quick steak or some chicken, and I really want to have the convenience of gas again.

Wildflower

Paschale,
You got the raincheck just let me know when.

We got it @ Home Depot and yes it is set up for a rotisserie. We didn't get it though.

Co-owner of The Forestry Forum.

scsmith42

Being from Texas, I have some definite opinions on grilling!  My favorite style is doing a hole hog or cow burried in a pit overnight (which does not require a grill at all).  A friend of mine is getting married next month, and this is how I'll be doing the hog for his wedding reception.

Back to the topic at hand though...  consider that your grill serves double duty as an oven when cooking certain items (especially on a rotisserie).  Thin sheet metal tops and sides will not retain heat very well.  Thick steel, aluminum, or ceramic will, and IMO is a better choice, and it will also reduce your fuel consumption.

If you have the bucks, a fellow named Ben Lang in Georgia makes an outstanding traditional Texas styled grill  http://www.pigroast.com/

I personally prefer cooking over wood, but cannot knock the convenience of gas - especially when it's wet out or you want to cook something without waiting for the wood to burn down to coals.

Ducane is a solid brand, as is Weber, and I'm sure that there are others.  I once received a hand-me down Ducane, brazed up the corroded burner and redrilled a bunch of holes for the gas, and five years later converted it into a wood grill and used it for about 10 more years (after the original owner had used it for about 10 as a gas burner).  It finally got retired when it was about 25 years old and the stand had corroded through - not bad - especially considering the heat that it was exposed to with some of my wood fires  :D
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Onthesauk

I've used Weber charcoal grills for years, my first lasted me over 25 years.  We went over 20 years without ever doing a Thanksgiving turkey in the overn, always on the Weber.  We plumbed the new house with propane on the porch so broke down and bought a gas Weber but keep the big old charcoal one out there too.  The propane is handy but hard to get decent smoke or flavor from it.  Also have a charcoal Brinkman but use that mostly for smoking small batches of fish.

Steve
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

Jeff

Onthesauk, we have one of the old Weber Kettle grills and that is exactly what we use it for, cooking whole turkeys. 5 lbs of charcoal some cherry chips and when the charcoal goes out the bird is done and always great. I won't trade or sell my old bright yellow grill for nothin. We dont use it as much as we used to but its there waiting for us when we want to.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Onthesauk

Jeff B

Our other favorite is a nice big fatty pork roast.  Indirect heat with some hickery chunks and a pan of apple juice under it.  Nice long, slow fire.  Oven potatoes with big chunks of onion and garlic.  Maybe one of my favorite meals.
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

sawguy21

Quote from: Onthesauk on May 06, 2006, 03:48:46 PM
Jeff B

Our other favorite is a nice big fatty pork roast.  Indirect heat with some hickery chunks and a pan of apple juice under it.  Nice long, slow fire.  Oven potatoes with big chunks of onion and garlic.  Maybe one of my favorite meals.
That sounds so good it is probably illegal. I just ate dinner and I'm already drooling :D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Corley5

I spent 60 bucks on a used South Bend, West Bend, East Bend something grill at an action three or four years ago and it's served me well even got the new style gas bottle with it.  When it's time for another I'll watch the auction bills :D
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Jeff

I got a free one here if ya want it greg. It's the el-cheapo that Tammy replaced. It still works but probably not for long. :)

Corley5

Thanks for the offer but mine still works ;) ;D :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Jeff

DanG! Thought I had a customer. Then I suppose I'm goona have to go move it away from the side of the road and a way from the trash cans and take the 2 week old free sign down. ;)

Tom

Jeff,

You're taking the wrong approach.   You are supposed to put a $525 price sticker on it and somebody will steal it.  :)

Paschale

Well, I'm leaning towards a BBQ Grillware product at Lowe's.  It was labelled a best buy by Consumer Reports last year, or one similar anyway.  They have a Stainless Steel jobbie that's $200, and one that's just a regular for $169.  The insides look pretty close to being the same.  I think the extra money is just paying for the steel.

I might go ahead and take the extra money I'm saving and buy one of these: 

You can check it out here.

I really enjoy stir frying, but I HATE how it stinks up my house.  With my trip to Thailand last year, I've wanted to really go to town with stir frying, but it always takes about three or four days for my house to stop smelling like a Chinese restaurant.   ::)  I had hoped that the side burners on a grill would have a lot of heat to do that, but the btu output is just too low.  This should work really well for that, since it's at 21,000 btus.  It's around $100 at Lowe's.  Anyone ever seen it, or used something like this?  I think it'd be fun to have in the outdoor cooking arsenal!  Then again, it could be one of those things you buy and use four or five times, before it heads back into the garage to collect dust.   ::) 

Thank You Sponsors!