iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Log hauling

Started by flatsawyer, January 15, 2005, 12:48:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OneWithWood

Good job, Captain.  I looked at one of those last year when I bought my log trailier.  It is an excellent machine but I just could not scrape together the cash for one.  I settled for a trailer that cost almost 2/3s the price but I got 2/3s the equipment!  For the price you paid you cannot go wrong.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

sawguy21

I would happily send you more cold weather than you need or want :D That is a beauty and a steal at the price. Enjoy it.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Ironwood

lewee,  Your photo of the arches looks great. I borrowed the largest one shown from a tree trimmer buddy of mine early last fall and he hasn't gotten it back yet. I have hauled 5000# red oaks with ease although I was checking the tire rating and I was slightly over capacity. That brand is well engineered and fairly light for it's heavy weight ability. I am impreesed I load the 3000#  logs with the crane in my truck and grab the monster with the arch. I can't afford a new one like his but I checked the other day and he letting me keep it for a few more weeks and a friend with a large fab. shop is going to duplicate it for me, they cost a good bit over $3000 new. The arch is also great for getting logs from down in yards where you dont want to drive, I roll it down manually and winch it to the truck once the log is lifted on the front end (let the other end drag! you need brakes!) :D
                                                 Reid
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

isawlogs

I used this a few years ago ... now its my brother in law that drives it ..... Western Star 475 cat
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

WV_hillbilly

I  would say that will cure your log hauling problems  Captain . Nice looking unit  . I'm  with Frank,  been close to something like that just can't seem to part with the dough .
Hillbilly

flatsawyer

That is a good looking trailer Captain. I have been looking at a smaller one from Bailey's. It is the RFR05 trailer with 155 loader.Does any one here have the Biley. I thank you all for all the info.

Ed_K

I bought the small loader from Bailey's, and made my own trailer. As was stated you get what you pay for. I can only haul 1/2 cord or 225 bf of 8',10' or 12s. But I'm very pleased with the loader.
Ed K

Frank_Pender

Edk, with things like the loader we often get the 2' disease like with a boat: 16', then an 18', 20', 11' 14' 16'.  Get the picture.  So, part of me is affraid I might want to end up with a full sized log truck and loader, at $130.000. :-/ :'( :'( :'(
Frank Pender

Ironwood

ISAWLOGS,  The homeowner may object to the "rig" sunk up to it's axles in the backyard. Don't get me wrong, I like it, I just don't like the scale of the unit or the fixed and variable costs associated with it's operation. An F-550 4x4 would suit my needs perfectly.  ;)
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Frank_Pender

Reid, I hae a F450 4 x 4, with a 10 ton hoist.  That is what I want to use to pull just a small tailer with loader attatched.    I then would make sure the loader would do at least a 360 degree plus turn to load the truck.  Dreams are fun, aren't they? ;D
Frank Pender

pappy

I'm with isawlogs but only half as long.  :D

With the amount of sawing I do I just as soon pay to have my logs moved.  I save my money, my back and my little Farmall A.

When I need logs hauled to the yard or deck I give Bruce a call..  $40 is cheap even it's just moving ten logs from the yard to the deck.   8)

"And if we live, we shall go again, for the enchantment which falls upon those who have gone into the woodland is never broken."

"Down the Allagash."  by; Henry Withee

Frank_Pender

Sure wish I could get away with having logs hauled that cheep.  I get charged $70 a hour for self-loader service out here.
Frank Pender

DR_Buck

My log hauling solution

This one is from Bailey's.   Picked it up in October  to move all the "free" logs I've been given.    Now if the ground would only freeze again!
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

palmerstreeservice

We use a skidloader with forks or even a couple tongs if needed to manuver them from the yard to the road.  We then load them into a dump trailer and haul them.  This requires two vehicles, however we are looking go get F700 flatbed dump truck this will enable us to have one vehicle that can haul the logs and a trailer to haul the skidloader.

palmerstreeservice

DR_Buck

How do you like your trailer.  I looked at one of them and thought it may be the answer to my problem.  I wasn't sure how long it would take to load and unload the logs.  Would you say it is faster than loading them with a skidloader and then dumping them to unload?

DR_Buck

I love it  8) 8) 8)

You just got to keep it out of the mud.  :(      It beats using a winch to roll/lift logs onto the flatbed trailer I started with.   I think over all it would be faster than the skid loader because you only need to take the trailer to the loading site and when you unload you can stack the logs as you unload.

The only setback I have had is due to the lifting capacity of the model I bought.  It's rated at 2500 lbs, but I've lifted way over that at times.   On really heavy logs I drag one end up onto the trailer with the grapple, then wrestle the other end up.   One really really heavy logs, I get out the chainsaw and make them shorter.  :D :D

I'm going to mount a winch on it in the future so I can drag logs close enough to reach them with the grapple.  Right now I use chains and use the grapple to pull them in close enough to lift.

I move my logs around the yard with a set of forks on the front of my Kubota.

OneWithWood

I have a similar trailer ( mine is the ten ton model ) and it sounds like I have the same loader as Buck.  I have loaded the trailer using the log forks on my crawler but I found it is actually safer and quicker to dump the logs on the ground and use the arm to load the trailer.  Unloading then becomes much easier because the logs are stacked neatly.  Dumping logs is not really an option for me because that much rolling weight is too hazardous.
One With Wood

flatsawyer

Dr Buck that looks like the one I need. Does it handle most of your needs ok?

DR_Buck

Flatsawyer,

Handles most everything I get.  Occasionally, as I mentioned previously I need to cut a HEAVY log a little shorter than Id like to in order to load it.  For example, I have a nice 32" diameter white oak I'd like to bring home in a 16 ft length to make fence boards, but I will need to cut it to 8 ft to be able to lift it.   The boards will end up 5/4 in the kiln, be planed and sold for a lot more than fence boards.  ;D   Thing with fence boards is  they don't need drying and I can sell them as fast as I can get em cut.

My trailer is the Bailey's RFR05 which is 15.5 ft long log deck with a gross capacity of 13,300 lbs.   My loader is the Farma 46D driven by the 9 hp Honda powered hydraulic unit.  I think they now call it the model 155.  It has a 16 ft reach  and 880 lbs capacity at full reach and 1800 lbs at mid-boom.  The grapple has about a 45" opening capacity.

OneWithWood

I purchased the RFR10 from Bailey's.  It has a 20,000 pound capacity a 170 grapple powered by an 11hp Honda engine.  The boom has a reach of 17' and can pick up 2500lbs close in, 2000lbs at mid reach, or 880lbs at full extension.  I went with the larger trailer because I mistakenly thought I could use it for double duty and haul the JD450 Crawler on it.  Because of the height of the deck from the gound (36") it is too tall to fabricate ramps I could stow and the arm is in the way to load the crawler.  I do use the crawler to pull it around fully loaded.  The triple axles cause the tires to slide when turning sharply.  It is a good trailer for hauling on the road but is a bit large for maneuvering in the woods.  I have yet to attempt to haul a load up the side of the ravines.  I think I will wait until I have completed my roads before I attempt a distance haul through the woods.  In retrospect I wish I had opted for the 214 grapple.  I like to bring the logs out in longer lengths when I can.  I am learning that you can never have too much power.
One With Wood

Thank You Sponsors!