iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

logging student looking to learn

Started by Robert R, March 05, 2005, 01:41:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert R

Where does one find these Game of Logging or similar courses for beginners to bet off to a safe start.
chaplain robert
little farm/BIG GOD

Tom

Norm!   Game-o-flogging?   I thought they outlawed that years ago.  ............oh. :-\     ............nevermind :-X  ;D

SwampDonkey

Never heard of such an organization. They even have members next door in Maine. Learn something new every day. Ya gotta admit, that unless ya heard of it, you wouldn't type it into a search engine. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Frickman

Game of Logging training is a good experience for both new users and old timers. At various times they offer one day courses oriented to landowners and other casual saw users. I went through their four level pro training in 1994 and thought it was well worth my time.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

thecfarm

SwampDonkey,that CLP is required here in Maine or you don't sell nothing to the papermills.I think the lumber yards too.Or you need to go under someone who has done the course.Need to do it every year to get recertified.This is a week course the first time.Seems like it's a $500 course.I only cut on my own land,so I don't need it.It's a good course.They have courses in filing,maintaining your saw,proper way to fell trees,etc. This was all started because of a high rate of injuries.Paper compaines said they would pay more for CLP wood.Yea right.I think they come to one of your job site to make sure you are doing it correctly.They say the young kids are easier to teach.No bad habits to get rid of.There's more,but that's about all I can remember.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Jeff

Here is a link to safety board sponsor MATSIF's newsletter. One of our members and control rep Rich Newell for thier company went through the course and there is a story about it.

http://www.matsif.com/newsletter/Safety%20Log%2005-1.pdf
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Norm

:D You know when I posted it Tom I previewed and did a double take myself. :D

maple flats

I went thru a partial introductory course. It was great and I learned a lot even though I've been cutting trees for over 30 years. New method to drop them with fewer risks. Sometime I plan to take the full course or at the very least the full day course. Safety is the name of the game! :)
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Larry

Well Robert I see ya filled out your profile and a fellow Missouri boy...get your GOL training right here.

http://www.moforest.org/education/timberharveterprogram.htm

The classes fill up fast so sign up early.  There is a charge for the course but it doesn't even begin to cover the true cost.  I completed the training in 1999.  I sincerely believe anybody that cuts a tree should have the training.

Just in case anybody else is interested, ya don't have to be a Missouri resident to take advantage of the training from MFPA.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Thank You Sponsors!