Sponsors:

Ever heard of BPA?

Started by Gary_C, November 11, 2009, 10:06:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gary_C

Something new to worry about.

Chemical BPA in workers linked to sex problems

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20091111/D9BTCQ5O0.html

BPA is used in a wide variety of consumer products, including some hard plastic bottles and metal food or beverage cans. Several makers of baby bottles recently said they had stopped using the chemical. Some 90 percent of the U.S. population carries detectable levels in the urine.

Wow, 90 percent??   :o :o

Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Warbird

"The men in the study experienced BPA levels about 50 times higher than those faced by typical American men, said researcher Dr. De-Kun Li."

"People shouldn't be alarmed by the finding, said Li, a reproductive and perinatal epidemiologist at Kaiser Permanente's research division in Oakland, Calif. But he said it would be prudent to limit exposure to BPA while scientists look for any effects from lower doses."

James P.

I heard recently on the news that the studies for safe BPA levels were done back in the early 70's. The notion is that safe levels may be much lower. Even 20x which would make those workers levels possibly 1000x the safe level. Its a bit scary what we really don't know.

moonhill

Quote from: James P. on November 12, 2009, 12:06:26 PM
Its a bit scary what we really don't know.

I would agree with that, on many levels.

Tim
This is a test, please stand by...

rebocardo

A few years back my own child's doctor did not know about this and she was with child. So, I told her to research it out because it is also the cause of a weird birth defect. It causes the male Johnson to have a hole at the end were it shouldn't be.

I wouldn't let my wife drink her daily big cup of Dunkin Donuts coffee washed down by chocolate either.

She was allowed pickles from a glass jar though  :D

Ironwood

We are poisoning ourselves more than we know everyday. Fortunately many of us work in the fresh air and outside, it can many times worse for office folks or those confined to production areas w/ ALL sorts of odors (an hence chemicals). I have been in many places (most recently the hospital) where the off gassing and stench of plastics and chemicals (formaldahydes and such) is just overwhelming. Thanks God at least I can control the quality of my direct environ. Many cannot.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

SwampDonkey

I've concluded a long time ago, anything to do with plastic in the food and beverage domain is poison. Most people have to wait to be told by government or a whistle blower. Trouble is the plastics industry has such a strangle hold on us that it's hard to look at the cupboard without seeing it containing our foods.  Also, Vinyl used in siding, plumbing and window frames is very toxic in it's manufacturing process. Imagine the stuff in a house fire. :-X I'll take wood smoke for a few more centuries, it didn't wipe us out yet. ;)

The BPA scare has been in the news for at least 3 years now.

"Steven Hentges, a BPA expert and official with the American Chemistry Council, an industry group, said the work is "probably not very relevant for consumers."

For one thing, the reported 50-fold difference in exposure seems to be an underestimate because of how it was calculated, he said. In addition, he said, the workers inhaled BPA or got it on their skin. Consumers get it through diet instead, which lets the body detoxify it, Hentges said."

The body will react to any toxen it's exposed to. That statement sure doesn't make me feel too comfortable. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!