Sponsors:

Harvester video

Started by 1270d, February 26, 2011, 08:55:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1270d

sorry about the audio, my flipshare program did it     
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRNF1tDcwVs

fishpharmer

Always neat to see how different things are done.  Amazes me what those machines can do in skilled hands.  Thanks for the video. 

Makes me wonder if your good at video games, with all that joystick time? :)
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

pasbuild

that was interesting, where in the U P are ya at?
If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

1270d

this job was near Republic   I live in the Ishpeming area
I do OK at the games, but have given them up mostly to spend that much more time with my lil boy

Ill try to get some vids of my current machine soon

treefarmer87

i wish i had the money for a forwarder, and processor. there are ALOT of pine plantations around here, i could get alot of thinning jobs.
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

fishpharmer

Quote from: 1270d on February 26, 2011, 09:38:41 PM
I do OK at the games, but have given them up mostly to spend that much more time with my lil boy

Good for you! Take that boy outside! In hind sight, the worse thing I ever did was get my boy most all the video games he wanted.  At 17 he is addicted to them and will hardly leave his room.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

weisyboy

nice vid mate, hows your wrist.

FP - i have a brother like that, hes 16 wont do anything. during school holidays he will spend 3 weeks straight 15 hours a day on the stupid thing.
god bless america god save the queen god defend new zealand and thank christ for Australia
www.weisssawmilling.com.au
http://www.youtube.com/user/weisyboy?feature=mhee
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000696669814&sk=photos

Norm

Maybe it's just the old rocker in me but I think the music goes well with the video.

Thanks for sharing it.

pasbuild

Is that Hollie's machine?  I stopped and talked with one of there operators working a brand new possessor like that and asked how the payment could be made cutting those little pecker poles, he gave me that look and said it would cut 100 cord per day, are those numbers right?

Jeff

Tammy and Stacy ran into one of the Holli's at the State dart tournament in Midland. I'm not sure who it could have been, because they forgot the first name, but they said he was my age, so it could not have been Dave.  He noticed their Forestry Forum jackets and they told him about the forum. He told them he was going to show up here, but he may have forgotten or lost the info. I think the only webpage you find if you search for them is my old archived Timberbuyer's network site. [lmgtfy]Holli forest products[/lmgtfy]
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

1270d

I believe i have met the dart player, not sure though.  this is not holli's but they did own one identical to it at one time.   

I have never cut 100 cord with this machine.  In this spruce i was cutting 35 to 40 cd per day cutting 130- 160 stems per hour.  my best with this was just shy of 70 and I thought that was pretty good.    In first thinning pine (2 8' sticks) i could come close to 40 sometimes but for me that was a mental workout with close to 200 stems an hour.  with the newer machine i am running now i can usually  cut 50 to 65 cord a day in most  stands including large diameter hardwood thinning. (20plus inch dbh)

Holli does have some of the best operators in the country though.  They've won the forwarder championship several years in a row now, and one of their guys even went to sweden to compete at Elmia Wood.  He took 5th i believe.   

here is his championship run in sweden
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huFl1ZbBIl4

pasbuild

Thats who I ran into, he was telling me about his European competition, I didn't want to question his numbers but they seamed a bit high.

lumberjack48

I have never ran one, but i have spent many grueling hours on a loader, very good video, it had me moving all over in my wheelchair trying to swing the boom faster, got my heart rant right up there :D
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

barbender

You have to be in really nice wood to cut 100 cords a day, 50 is more typical. The way the payments are made on those machines is a steady diet of wood going through the processor head, people go belly up in cut to length all the time.  Treefarmer87, good luck on cut to length down south. Although the wood is ideally suited, the mentality down there is not. I know of several operations that tried to make a go of it down south and it didn't work. People can't get past the price per ton. It costs more to log CTL. But you are left with a better stand, higher value timber in the future.
Too many irons in the fire

treefarmer87

your right,its hard to make it on plantation wood down here. i like how good the woods looks with CTL.
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

Ron Scott

Dave Holli, Shotgun, and I were in Forestry School together. Michigan Tech class of 1961. Our 50th reunion this year. ;)
~Ron

Thank You Sponsors!