Main Menu

Sponsors:

Poll: New technology

Started by Ron Wenrich, September 10, 2006, 07:36:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Wenrich

Thanks to Gary C for the poll suggestion.  Do you use the new technology or do you continue to use the old stuff.  Poll ends 9-25-06
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Tom

I don't base my purchase solely on technology.

I'm not intent on operating dinasaurs, but I don't buy until I have a need.  If the need is technology oriented, I try to buy stuff that has its technology user tested.  Being a guinea pig is spending your money for a manufacturer's gain.

I will always remember what my Chief Photographer told me when I was all in a tizzy about buying my first professional camera.  I was so concerned about buying the "best" that my budget could afford and even then found that it would strap me.

He said, "Don't worry about whether it is the best or not.  It only has to be better than you".

He was right.  Why should I shop for a camera that would split atoms when my paper's press was a Hot Type and our darkroom equipment was good but old.  That's even discounting my experience at the time.   What I really needed was camera that would "get me an image" if I were in the rain, or in the dark, or on the beach or trying to get a football player catching a pass over his shoulder when we were both at full tilt.

If I found one that would do the job, I certainly wouldn't be swapping it for a new one just because of new technology.  Especially a technology that I didn't need.  That is a recipe for "keeping up with the Joneses".  :)

dave7191

I voted for the old stuff wares out but could be any of the last three depending on how set in my ways I am about that idom  ;D

thurlow

I didn't vote because I could only vote for one and I wanted/needed to vote for all 4 depending on the situation.  We......actually my Dad, but I was heavily involved.......were the first in our county to use herbicides in cotton in the '50s (remember Karmex?).  I was among the first farmers in the county to have a computer ('80s).  When I retired, my newest tractor was 20 years old (4840 JD).  My dozer is a '58 model (TD-15).  I've only had a digital camera for a couple of years (they kept improving them and I knew whatever I bought would immediately be obsolete).  My wife is a '47 model and she's just as good as a '85 model...................I keep telling myself. ;D  Actually, I'm not sure about the technology and the changes made on the newer models. 8)
Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

PineNut

Proven technology is better than the bleeding edge any day. Most of the equipment problems I have are from the unnecessasry electronic bells and whistles.

JimBuis

I don't buy the newest and greatest unless I'm in the market for that kind of product anyway and even then I tend to buy a midrange product.  I always buy a used car so somebody else has paid most of the depreciation on it.  i did buy a notebook PC about 3 years ago, but that was because I needed to reduce from the big desktop stuff I had back then to stuff that was physically smaller.  I figure that my 3 year old Gateway notebook can last for another two or three years at least, so at this point I don't really care what kind of new golly-gee-whiz computer they come out with. Mine is good enough.  About 5 years or so from now, I will buy another pretty good, pretty modern computer so I can sort of keep up with technology.

IMHO,
Jim
Jim Buis                             Peterson 10" WPF swingmill

Bill

I too had a hard time and couldn't just pick one - I kinda wisht there was an all of the above choice.  Sometimes I want quality ( because I expect - or want - the DanG thing to last ) and the only way to do that sometimes is to buy the latest version. Mostly I want reliability at an economical price. Having said all that I frequently find myself patching up the old stuff ( sometimes even other folks old stuff ) rather that get something newfangled just for the sake of having something newfangled. Sometimes the hand me down - or cast offs - end up being my favorite as its been prebroke-in !

Stephen1

I have bought the bleeding edge technology in the past & learned my lesson. when the manufacturer has perfected the product then I buy. Now as I mature in age I like to wait till what I have is finnished and I need a new product. I like buying cars that are 1-2 years old, let someone else pay the depreciation.
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Modat22

I used to be a tech junky but I'm beginning to take a step back to older tried and true devices. I hate cell phones but I still like computers. Seems to me that most of the newer technology is designed with such a short lifespan that it would be a financial burden just keeping the items a person gets adicted to using.
remember man that thy are dust.

crtreedude

I tend to buy really high quality when I buy because I hate buying anything. I hate shopping. So, if I do end up in a store, I will buy something solid.

Not much into the latest and greatest, just give me something that works well. I like the comment, buy something better than you - but not that much better.

After all, who wants their equipment to show them up...  ::)
So, how did I end up here anyway?

Gary_C

I thought of this during the poll about cell phones. I have had a cell phone for so long my first one was a bag phone. I am now so addicted to my cell phone that I cannot imagine how any one could be without one and was surprised that some people actually still do not have one. However, I am away from home at times and could not survive or do business without a cell phone.

For example, back in July I was driving through the twin cities with a truck with a fairly newly rebuilt front differential. The bearing in the thru shaft failed and the rear drive shaft came flying off into the ditch, where it was so hot it started a grass fire. By the time I limped on to the next exit, I saw the police and fire trucks on the way back to the fire, apparently called by some one on their cell phone as I was unaware of the fire at that time. When I found a place to stop, I called the shop that had installed the rebuilt differential and within 15 minutes they had a wrecker on the road to get the truck. Since it was just before 5:00 PM on a Friday, if I had not been able to call immediately, I would have been out of luck till Monday.

My father in law was a farmer all his life. He was 92 when he died about 7 years ago. In his later years, a friend and neighbor would try to get him to go with him to the local "Thresher Days" where they would get out the old steam engines do it the way they did in the good old days. He would always refuse because "I remember those good old days too well. They were hot, dusty and miserable. Why would I ever want to go back and see those days again?"

I am not always the first one to buy these new gadgets, but I sure do love them when I get them.   8)
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

IL Bull

I'm with Gary C on this one.  Having a cell phone lets me get out of the dealership when I want.  With out it I would be stuck in the office. >:( :)
Case Skid Steer,  Ford Backhoe,  Allis WD45 and Burg Manual Sawmill

Ron Wenrich

I still have a rotary dial phone and have no need for a cellular phone.  If you need one, then that's OK, but many of the people who have them are just jawboning.  I don't have anyone that can't wait to talk to me or that I can't wait to talk to.

Actually, its rather nice not being able to be contacted. 

Warren

LT40SHD42, Case 1845C,  Baker Edger ...  And still not near enough time in the day ...

PineNut

Why should I pay good money for a cell phone so people can find me when I don't want to be found?  Well I do have a cell phone but it is a prepaid plan and the power switch is OFF unless I want to make a call. Got it primarily for emergency use.

I have three rotary dial phones that I have had for over 30 years. Also a whole stack of these touchtone phone that don't work. Got to have a touchtone phone for those "press 2 for" machines. But the rotary dial phones are the only reliable ones.

Furby

Do you boys with the rotary phones still rent them too ??? ;D
Heard a story a couple weeks back about an 80 some year old woman that was still renting her rotary to the tune of $29 a month. :o

Ron Wenrich

When I first set up housekeeping, we had no choice but to rent.  Then, the phone company was forced into either selling or renting.  So, I bought mine.  It lasted for at least 15 years until it gave me problems.

Now, when I need a phone (which has only been that one time), I just do a web search for antique phones.  Any phone that has been built can still be used on land lines.  I bought my current phone for $40, since it is green instead of the standard black. 

It seems that when the phone companies went to selling phones instead of renting them that the quality went down.  It seems that the thinking nowadays is disposable.