Sponsors:

Poll: Back to the moon

Started by Ron Wenrich, January 14, 2007, 08:35:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tcsmpsi

Quote from: Tom on January 19, 2007, 03:05:26 PM
I've always wondered, If you are spelunking, are you tresspassing? :D

If so, it doesn't feel like it.   smiley_divide
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

Ron Wenrich

This might be more to your liking for freshwater and power from the ocean:

http://pesn.com/2006/01/04/9600218_Sea_Solar_Power/
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Cedarman

Yup, going into caves with hibernating Indiana bats is supposedly bad for them. Quite a few caves in Indiana are closed during late fall to spring.  World famous Wyandotte Cave is closed from Sept to April.  We are forced to log on state land only from Nov 15 to Mar 31 in case some of those nice bats want to roost under the bark.

Sorry Tom, no fresh water under the ocean.  Salt water permeates all the rocks at depth.  It also gets saltier the deeper you go in the rocks.  That info comes from petroleum geology courses and my own experience on hundreds of oil and gas exploration wells.

Try going underground in Mammoth Cave National Park without permission.  Even if you enter outside the park and go under the Park you can get into trouble. But the goal of a lot of cavers near the park is to find more cave that connects to the big cave in the Park.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

TexasTimbers

Quote from: estiers on January 19, 2007, 08:29:04 AM
....disseminate....

Dissipate is the proper word in this instance but I know what you meant.
Regular space travel would effect a negative affect on the ozone about like dropping an anchor in the same spot would wear out that column of water.
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

leweee

Shhhhhh......don't tell no one but I think I got ozone in this column of water.(drinking glass) :)
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

DanG

As the subject of this discussion seems to have drifted toward Ozone, I realized that I didn't really know much about it.  So I went and did a bit of reading about it.  Now, I'm no expert on it, in the wildest of imaginations, but I know more than I did this morning.  This little gambit has led me to no real conclusions, but seems to debunk the notion that rockets will poke holes in the Ozone Layer.  If anything, it will increase the amount of Ozone in the Stratosphere.

In the Troposphere, where we are, it is considered a pollutant, but is commonly used for various industrial purposes.  One of those uses is the purification of drinking water. Leweee, I'm gonna just assume that you had your tongue firmly in your cheek in that last post. ;) :D :D :D

I tried real hard to get all the words in this post correct.  Wouldn't want to offend the Usage Police. ::)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Furby

SwampDonkey

Dang, ya did, done real good. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Fla._Deadheader

UHHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhh  that's DONE-DID there Donk.  ::) ::) :D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

farmerdoug

And now the Canadian Usage Police are mounting a morning raid on an unsuspecting forester in eastern Canada.  ::) Details of the raid at Noon News. :D :D :D

Farmerdoug
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

SwampDonkey

The Usage Police raided the place of one SwampDonkey, but he was no where to be found. Unbeknown to them he was busy working away in his shop and was unaware of the raid. ;D

8)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

farmerdoug

Hey, Their the Usage Police after all.  ::) Nobody said that they were very smart. ;D :D :D :D

Farmerdoug
Doug
Fargo, MI

Furby

Sunday night the 28th, The Discovery Channel will air "2057".
The program has some concept ideas of what life and space travel will be like 50 years from now.
I plan to watch. :)

SwampDonkey

I don't have satellite any longer or cable.  :-\

OneWithWood

Swamp, good excuse to go a visitin' or hang at your local waterin' hole  ;D
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

farmerdoug

Like what local watering hole are you going to find that has the Discovery Channel on? ???

You may just get a little exercise trying to change their channel too. :o :D :D

Farmerdoug
Doug
Fargo, MI

SwampDonkey

You guys haven't lived in rural NB. :D :D

SwampDonkey

Now Owen Maynard, a native of Sarnia Ontario, stocky and authoritative, walked to the lectern.

"It's useful to think of the lunar landing mission as being planned in a series of steps or decision points separated by mission plateaus. The decision to continue to the next plateau is made only after an assessment of the spacecraft's present status and its ability to function properly on the next plateau.

In an afternoon coffee break, Shea quipped: I see our speaker surrounded and making his way to the podium, breaking away from the adoring crowds. You'd think he was an astronaut. [metaphorically speaking]

The next morning, another Avro veteran was introduced: "The episode ended yesterday, you'll recall, with our hardy little band of adventures just arriving on the lunar surface. This morning we pick up the scenario on the surface, and we're about to answer one of the fundamental questions. Will the science that is to be done on the lunar mission be good, or will the whole mission be of no avail? We have the answer to that: No. A Vale named Bob is going to tell us about the science." Robert Vale, from Toronto, was one of the higher ranking people at NASA from the Avro group.

Later Morris Jenkins, another former Avro engineer from Southampton England, was introduced. He was working on the  complexities of trajectories involved in getting the Lunar Module from the earth to the moon surface. He discussed the computers used in maneuvering as well as normal and emergency flight situations. Jenkins explained that the computers would help increase crew safety and the chance of mission success....it looks to us as though we would have no real problems, except the details might kill us.

Another Canadian engineer from Avro was R. Bryan Erb, born in Calgary,  who helped develop the heat shield for the command module. He was part of a group of hard driving engineers. He was always eager to promote the future applications of space exploration. He became chief of the thermo-structures branch and subsystem manager for the Apollo heat shield. .......
"You have it (heat shield) too sharp, you have too much convection: you have it too blunt, you have too much radiation, so you had to have an optimum shape in there."

On Sunday, July 20 1969, the three astronauts donned their space suits and after final preparations, Armstrong and Aldrin floated into Eagle, closed the hatches and separated their spacecraft from Collins aboard Columbia. On the back side of the Moon, Eagle fired its descent engine for the first time to lower its orbit. Coming around the Moon, Eagle got a "go" to try a landing. On a command from Armstrong, the throttleable descent engine began firing again, beginning the 12-minute-long landing sequence that took the astronauts down from 14 km. During the final phase of the landing. Armstrong looked out the window to see where the computer was taking Eagle, and Aldrin called out information from displays on the control panel. Armstrong realized early on that Eagle was overshooting the planned landing point, and the tension of the moment was heightened by computer alarms caused by an overflow of data from landing and rendezvous radars. Armstrong saw that Eagle would land in a football-field sized crater full of boulders, so he took control and set Eagle down in a cloud of dust beyond the crater with the gages showing less than 30 seconds worth of fuel left. After Aldrin called out technical information about the landing, Armstrong announced: "Houston, Tranquility Base here. The Eagle has landed." It was 3:18 p.m. Houston time.

For many, the landing was the climax of Apollo 11. But Maynard had a different view: "The mission wasn't successful until we returned them safely. Until we got them home."

At 9:56 p.m. Houston time, Armstrong's first steps on the moon. With a black-and-white tv camera broadcasting back to Earth everyone could here "That's one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind." Later Aldrin joined him on the Sea of Tranquility, declaring the sight to be "magnificent desolation."

[Source: Arrows to the Moon: Avro's Engineers and the Space Race (© 2001)]