Main Menu

Sponsors:

Poll: Dining out

Started by Ron Wenrich, June 03, 2007, 08:43:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Wenrich

What sorts of eateries do you go to when eating out?

Poll ends 6/18/07
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Furby

What's the difference between a fast food place and a chain restaurant?
Most fast food places aren't really fast (some are), and lots of chain restaurants are serving fast food. smiley_headscratch

99% of the time I eat at fast food places, and it's almost every day. :-\

Tom

I look at fast food as McDonalds or Burger King, and a chain as golden corral or waffle house or Red Lobster.  Most any place that serves grits can't be all that bad.  ;D

Tam-i-am

Since discovering Biscuits and Gravy, my family tries to plan our trips around Bob Evan's.
They sure have good biscuits and gravy - but no grits.

Tammy
Get Stuff Moving Today!  www.bluecreeper.com  www.facebook.com/Bluecreeper

Dave Shepard

I like to try and eat at a locally owned establishment, and I often know the people by name. Although, I have stopped at McDonalds plenty enough. Is it true grits turn into oatmeal when they cross into New England? Cuz I've never spied a grit anywhere near here.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Raider Bill

I always try to eat at a local diner. Give my $$$ to the small American guy working hard to make a living.
FAst food is dog food and not on my menu.
No grits for me and puty my gravey on home fries please.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

thurlow

Sad to say there's not really a good place to eat in Lauderdale County;  several fast food places where we almost never eat.  (There's one fewer than there was about 8 years ago;  sold square hamburgers, founder had 2 first names, rather than a first and last.  High school kids............can't believe anybody in this day and age are so ignert............said that "they" kept finding magnets  ::) in the beef patties).  One decent restaurant,  the food is never bad, but it's never really, really good, either.  Other 3 or 4 places are typical small town cafes.  Can drive an hour to Memphis and get pretty much anything you want.
Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

limbrat

Im a snot about were i eat. I have changed jobs recently but im still in sales so i eat out nearly every day. I also take stuff to my cleints or take them out depending on there work enviroment and time they have. I figure about 3% of my income goes back into my clients.
When im by my self i like the mom and pop places. Down south alot of the family owned c stores have there own meat markets and kitchens were they make there own specialty meats and some fine plate lunches, and some are turds. In most towns there is a place in the downtown area that has good food at a fair price,they usaly cater to lawers and local political types. I dont eat nothing that has been under a sun lamp. If my choices are all fast food i will go to the grocery store and get some fruit instead.
Lilya and i go out a couple of times a month we have about 9 places within ahundered miles that we like and are always looking for new ones. We went to a new one once and i ordered a rare steak the srever came back in a minute and said they were out of rare and would i like a medium rare instead come to find out they cook during the day and toss orders in the microwave as they come up. Now i know that is common practice in some places.... I paied for the drinks and left.
ben

DanG

I checked 4 different ones, but my favorites weren't on the list.  I picked Fast, Local, Chain, and Sandwich.  Basically, I eat when I'm hungry, and rarely "dine out" for some sort of experience.  I would have liked to see Specialty Restaurants on the list.  If I want BBQ, I go to a BBQ house.  If I want fish, I go to a Seafood restaurant.  Sometimes, I just have a taste for a double Whopper from BK.  If I'm just plain hungry and want to fill my gut, I look for a buffet house.

All of the above apply only if I'm away from home, or just too darn lazy to cook.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Burlkraft

I'm sure Ya'll know by now....that we have a small bar/resturaunt here that is my favorite place. The Roxbury Tavern...Beenthere kinda likes it too...... ;D ;D ;D

Why not just 1 pain free day?

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

thecfarm

Burlkraft,I recogonize you,you don't like sleeves, :)  and Jeff.Give us a tour on the others.I do enjoy the locals places.Not all that many around here.Some of the locals cater more towards the rich folk that came from away to enjoy our great state.I keep away from them places.I like a pizza place.I could live on that stuff.I do like a good steak,rare.the waiter always says, "That will be cool in the middle".I say, "It better be and bring me lots of bread". That's to slop my that red juice with. We usally eat out at least once a week at a big restaurant.We will stop and eat at a small sandwich shop too.We take alot of day trips and stop and grab something.Some have a place to sit down some don't.Must be money in pizza and sandwiches.They are at every small store around here.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Raider Bill

Quote from: thurlow on June 03, 2007, 10:26:39 PM
Sad to say there's not really a good place to eat in Lauderdale County;  several fast food places where we almost never eat.  (There's one fewer than there was about 8 years ago;  sold square hamburgers, founder had 2 first names, rather than a first and last.  High school kids............can't believe anybody in this day and age are so ignert............said that "they" kept finding magnets  ::) in the beef patties).  One decent restaurant,  the food is never bad, but it's never really, really good, either.  Other 3 or 4 places are typical small town cafes.  Can drive an hour to Memphis and get pretty much anything you want.
Must be something in the water up there as I haven't found a decnt place to eat in my area of Tenn either. I did find a decent breakfast joint but it closes at 2pm, bacon and eggs are hard to screwup but some place's still manage to do it.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Burlkraft

Quote from: Burlkraft on June 04, 2007, 08:24:59 AM
I'm sure Ya'll know by now....that we have a small bar/resturaunt here that is my favorite place. The Roxbury Tavern...Beenthere kinda likes it too...... ;D ;D ;D

Left to right...Beenthere, Burlkraft, Jeff B, Corley5 in the red, Chris Browne from Peterson, and "Thee Bob" Pasbuild right in front... ;D ;D ;D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

tcsmpsi

I picked a few.  To me (and my darling significant other), 'fast food' is Sonic.  Their OK for a bacon burger, tots w/cheese and vanilla shake, which is all ok periodically.  When we want to go in and sit down, there's either the catfish place, chinese place (pretty traditional) or the mexican food place (pretty non-traditional) at which I eat the carne guisada. 
This is a small town, we don't go out much, and I LIKE BEANS AND SOUP (stew).   Catfish place has DanG good beans, in big pots, and I can pitch till I win.

Out on the road, my wife pretty much likes to stick with Denny's or IHOP, but will go for a good looking individual joint.

I'm more tuned to getting sardines and eating at a rest area, or the like. 

Oh, and we always carry a stove and a coffee pot.

Does anyone up toward Michigan cook/serve beans?
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

Bibbyman

Ron didn't have my first choice on his list – "Any place with Chicken Fried Steak" on their menu. 

Any time Mary and I have traveled to some place we didn't know,  I'd ask the directions to the best place to get a chicken fried steak. I my not always be in the mood to get chicken fried steak but if they had it on their menu,  I figured there would be plenty of items I would eat.

Last week we took a few days off and took the girls down to Branson, MO.  We spent most of two days in Silver Dollar City. But between those two days we spent the morning visiting The College of the Ozarks.  It's just across the lake in Harrison, MO.  They have an excellent museum there and some other things to tour. 

But the thing that fits in here is that have a formal dining restaurant at the Keener Center.  The building itself is worth touring.  But the dining is excellent. 

What is unique is that it's run by students.  The students work to pay their tuition. 

The Keener Center on the College of the Ozark's campus

The dining room info in the Keener Center

College of the Ozarks - Hard Work U

Their motto is "Hard Work U".  You see it posted everywhere.   

If you get down to the Branson area,  I recommend you stop in for a tour of the museum and a diner at the restaurant.  The food and service is great and it'll help a kid get a good education.

Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

thecfarm

Don't come up here to see me,Bibbbyman and ask for chicken fried steak.You would have better luck with grits.   :D    What is chicken fried steak?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

beenthere

Now, got me wonderin what chicken Fried Steak might be?  Is it steak, fried like chicken?  ::) ::) ??? ???

If travelin, I usually drive into a small town and look for the cars parked in front of a small restaurant. Then go in and usually have a good meal.

Otherwise, if around home, have good places like the Roxbury Tavern. Gotta try out their Taco Tuesday some Tuesday.....maybe tomorrow (it bein Tue.).  ;D

Fast food place to me, is where I have to go to a counter and place my order, than either wait at the counter or sit down and someone delivers it.

For dinner, I like to go where I can get a New York Strip steak, on the rare side, cooked with no salt or seasoning added. What scares me is when they bring it to the table and ask if I need steak sauce with it......I usually say "I hope not".  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

beenthere

Doin a little searchin and found this:

Chicken-fried or country-fried steak is usually made with round steak, tenderized then dipped in an egg and milk mixture, then dredged in seasoned flour or bread crumbs. The coated steak is then fried in hot fat until the coating is crispy and browned, much like fried chicken. A milk gravy is often made to be served with the steak, along with mashed potatoes.
Country fried steak can also be made by coating the tenderized steaks with seasoned flour or crumbs. Smothered steak, another version, is fried then simmered in gravy, which makes a tougher cut of meat even more tender.

According to The Dictionary of American Food and Drink by John Mariani, the term "chicken-fried steak" first appeared in print in the year 1952. It has long been a favorite dish in the South, Midwest, and Southwest United States.

Now I know more better.  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

tcsmpsi

Traditionally, chicken fried steak, is round steak, tenderized quite proper, battered then deep fried.  Of course, that has 'grown' to anything from roadkill to mule ground up.

Big ones....with lots of gravy,  maybe a fried tater or two, and some good bread for helping to hold stuff on the platter, and sopping the plate clean.
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

Dave Shepard

There used to be a really good truckstop here, but they tore it down about six weeks ago. They had chicken fried steak, I never ordered it though, I wasn't so sure I wanted my stead fried with a chicken. ;D The joke around here is there are 100 restuarants in Gt. Barrington, but no where to eat. There is McDs, DD, and three pizza places you could afford. All the rest require a second home, a fine German automobile, and season tickets to Tanglewood.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Bibbyman

Quote from: thecfarm on June 04, 2007, 06:32:03 PM
Don't come up here to see me,Bibbbyman and ask for chicken fried steak.You would have better luck with grits.   :D    What is chicken fried steak?

Some times I really feel for you guys that live on the cost and have to eat all those sea bugs.  But if you don't know what a chicken fried streak is,  I guess you don't know what you're missing.

P.S.  Mary gave Alex a cooking lesson this evening.  They made cheddar biscuits from scratch and spaghetti and meat sauce. It was great!  Mary had been reluctant to give the girls cooking instructions.  It did my heart good.

Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Frickman

I prefer local diners / restaraunts myself. If I'm logging in area a fair distance from home I'll eat at these places every day. It's a good way to generate sales and timber leads, and the food is usually real good too. I don't eat out much though unless I have to for work.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

thecfarm

That chicken fried steak don't sound all that bad.I just might have to pay you a visit and have some of that.At least you don't have to mix it with something to make it taste good,like you do with them grits.I don't eat much for sea bugs.In fact I bet you eat more sea bugs than I do,Bibbyman.But don't take my red meat away from me,or I would go hungey,real quick.My wife hates the way I eat.had my first annual visit and she just knew the doctor was going to give me a hard time on my diet,red meat.When the question came up that's just what I told him,"Lots of red meat".All that he said was,"I guess that is suiting you fine".She was some mad when we left the doctor's office.Maybe because I had that I told you look on my face.

WDH

Not another grits-bashing, thecfarm :).  Such a mis-understood culinary delight.  Have you ever had grits and lobster ???.  I bet cheese grits and lobster is just fine ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com