iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Another home built log arch

Started by OH Boy, December 28, 2013, 09:05:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OH Boy

I had an old trailer in the back that still had air in the tires, so cut it up, welded it back together along with a tow hitch receiver, which maybe I can use with a bar to help hold up the log end, and a come along. gave it the first test today and works great, at least didn't break. still need to have better cables to hold with but looks like it will work.

thecfarm

It passed the test,it did not break.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

KyLogger

I only work old iron because I secretly have a love affair with my service truck!

mad murdock

Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

OH Boy

Quote from: KyLogger on December 28, 2013, 09:36:40 PM
Is that log totally suspended?

Yes, it is suspended, which is nice because the easiest path to the top of my hill is on the neighbor, so it won't tear up his path dragging logs. I'm thinking a 10 footer may be all I can do, but if I can find a 2 in stock bar to stick out the hitch receiver, maybe that will extend my reach by holding up the end. definitely still a work in progress.

KyLogger

Looks like a job well done! You may have to reinforce the 2" tubing maybe a piece of angle welded on top and bottom?
I only work old iron because I secretly have a love affair with my service truck!

Bandmill Bandit

looks real good. Might want to consider a couple of short gusset braces on the inside corner above the axles. It looks like a good design.  I may have to build one my self. get about a dozen calls or so a year to pick up a single yard tree in town. That rig would do a good job of handling those jobs. 
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

36 coupe

I splayed the legs out on my log hauler.No need for bracing and makes the rig better when it comes to rolling sideways.One hauler featured on here was too tall.Use wood patterns to get the angle cuts right.

Magicman

Looks good.  It will be a very useful tool. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Sixacresand

Good Job.   I know you will get a lot of use out of it. 
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Sixacresand

I broke my home made arch the other day.  I was moving  28 inch x 12' pine log and the center beam on the hitch/tongue end broke.  All the weight of the log is balanced over the wheels, so it was stress from pulling the load.  The break point was not a weld.  I wonder if the original stock steel tubing had a crack in it.   I use my arch to move logs and as well as stacks of lumber. It is my main support equipment and milling is down until I "fix" it.  LOL
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Thank You Sponsors!