Route around NYC

Started by Corley5, October 27, 2007, 09:29:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corley5

Corley5
Off bearer

Route around NYC
« on: October 14, 2007, 11:07:23 PM » 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We're going to be travelling north next week from Fl on I-95 with Riverton, CT as our destination.  Any advice on dealing with NYC?  It's a part of the US I've never been in    I'm thinking of maybe getting over to I-287 from I-95 and taking that around to I-684 and going north on that to I-84 which will get us over to Waterbury, CT and CT 8 which will take us to Riverton or close to it     

The I-287 to I-684 looks like it will get keep us out of downtown at least    Is traffic around NYC really as bad I've heard    Is it better or worse than it used to be    I.E. has the Interstate System around and through it been upgraded to handle the traffic    We've been in traffic in Chicago, Atlanta, Detroit, Cinncinnati, and others and it's just traffic     NYC concerns me     I would like to be close enough to get a pic of the skyline     

What about D.C. and Baltimore?

Report to moderator    166.165.193.15 

DanG
Millwright

The OFFICIAL cussword of The ForestryForum

Re: Route around NYC
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2007, 12:38:07 AM » 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's been a few years since I was up that way, but I didn't find it to be too bad.  Just grab the Jersey Turnpike to the Tappan Zee bridge, and Bob's yer Uncle.  The tolls on the Turnpike are well worth the money. 

Report to moderator    Logged 

stonebroke
Off bearer

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2007, 02:47:00 AM » 

Don't be a coward, Go right across the George Washington bridge and though downtown Manhattan.  Experience how the other side lives. Seriously Manhattan is something to visit if only once. I could never live like that. So many people in such a small area.

Stonebroke

Mooseherder
Board stacker

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2007, 06:51:06 AM » 

This is a ride we have done about 20 times round trip and have tried many different ways.
We have flown the last 2 years.
The 684 is about the most gorgeous scenery you can get but you'll have already gone through the worst of the traffic.
Timing will be everything for DC and NYC. The only great time to go through  I felt was between midnight and 5am. There is an incredible amount of people trying to head north and south into DC in the morning. The 95 through NY will send you thru the Bronx. Big Brown Brick buildings on the sides and on top of the road.(overpasses have tall buildings on them) Not a very nice ride, you may not see the skyline if it is hazy. This route also has alot of tolls if your hauling a trailer.
Our best route, all though adds a few miles to the trip but worth it is 95 north to SC 26 West, North on 77 to 81 North to 84 East. The ride is alot better scenery than I-95. Especially the 77 and 81. Heck the 84 is nice too.
Have a good trip. 

submarinesailor
Board stacker

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2007, 06:54:25 AM » 

I have driven I95 thru that part of the country more times than I care to talk about, so I feel like I can offer you some advice.  Don't go anywhere near I95 north of Richmond, VA!!!!!!!!!!! 

If I was you, I would get out to I81 by one of 2 routes: 1.  As you come north, take I26 to I77 to I81 and pickup I84 near Scranton, PA.  2.  You can pickup I64 at Richmond and go over to I81.  But what ever you do, stay off I95 north of Richmond!!!! Remember the traffic around Washington is the 2nd worst in the country.  And you never know what can happen on I95 between Washington and NYC.  One time it took me 7 hours to get from the GW Bridge to the I195 exit of the NJ Turnpike.

One more point - the drive thru the valley of Virginia, Maryland and the highlands of PA could be very pretty this time of the year.

BTW – According to MS Streets and Trips, the I26/77/81/84 route is 117.9 miles longer than the straight I95 route.

Moose - you type faster than I do!!!!!!!!

Bruce

thecfarm
Millwright

If I don't do it,it don't get done

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2007, 07:08:11 AM » 

I hate that Tappen Zee bridge or that route.We travel from Maine to PA every 1-2 years and we don't use I-95 once we get out of Maine.Seems like we use 84 in CT than 3-95 than 76or 78.Not really sure.I'm not all that good with route numbers.Never have a problem and traffic is moving right along.We start out real early going to PA but when we come back to Maine we are on the freeways around 2-6:00.

Thomas Bandsaw,20 foot track,20 hp Honda,Ford 4wd 40 hp

Mooseherder
Board stacker

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2007, 07:52:52 AM » 

Quote from: submarinesailor on October 15, 2007, 06:54:25 AM
One more point - the drive thru the valley of Virginia, Maryland and the highlands of PA could be very pretty this time of the year.

BTW – According to MS Streets and Trips, the I26/77/81/84 route is 117.9 miles longer than the straight I95 route.

118 miles longer and worth every mile.

pigman
Board stacker

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2007, 08:33:29 AM » 

Quote from: DanG on October 15, 2007, 12:38:07 AM
the Tappan Zee bridge, and Bob's yer Uncle. 

Learn something everyday.   Why, hello nephew Greg. 

Bob aka Riverman

Brian_Rhoad
Board stacker

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2007, 01:00:55 PM » 

I make the I-81, I-77,I-26, I-95 to Florida trip a few times a year and have done the I-81, I-84 to New England quite a few times. That would be my choice to stay out of DC, Baltimore and New York City.

Tom
Administrator
Millwright

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2007, 01:40:26 PM » 

I'd stay on 81 as long as I could.

I went to Maine in 1984 on my bike and ended up getting lost in DC and going across the George Washington bridge in NY.  I'll never travel that route again as long as I live.   The road is physically bad, with pot holes everywhere.  I found the people to be unfriendly and aggressive, yelling, cursing, shaking their fist, trying to run me off of the road and throwing stuff at me.  The closer to NYC I got, the worse it got.  Once in that country is too many times.

I returned from Maine with the bulk of my trip being on I-81 and it was very enjoyable.  The Adirondacs and Catskills are beautiful.  I was even amazed with the scenery in Penn.  I stopped in one area to take a picture of a farm outside of Mechanicsburg that was so clean and neat that the horses were afraid to move.  It looked like a water color painting.  Then I continued visiting Civil War battlefields until I crossed over into N.C. about Boone.

I'll go that way again in a heartbeat.

Furby
Sawyer

I'm baaaaaaack!

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2007, 07:48:04 PM » 

Gee Tom, is it possible your info may be a bit out of date?
I mean if the pot holes were that bad then, there probly isn't any road left by now.

NYC is um........... fun.
I did it a month after 9-11 all the way to ground zero.
Not really looking forward to going back, but it really is something everyone should see at least once.

Went around DC with a big rig, don't remember the route though. Wasn't any worse then Chicago and I hit it during morning rush hour.
I may have been far enough out though.

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Corley5

We made it  ;)  We took 95 with our plans to head for I-81 if the traffic got bad.  We also had a plan to take US 301 around to the east of DC and hook back into 95 south of Philly.  The traffic was flowing good so we blew right on through on 95.  We hit DC around 7PM and did 70mph all the way through Baltimore and spent the night at Aberdeen.  The next day we caught the NJ Turnpike all the way to the Garden State Parkway and took it up to 84 and that across the Tappan Zee Bridge and into Ct where we got Ct 8 to our destination.

Coming back we took US 202 down to Peekskill and crossed the Hudson there and followed 6 for a stretch along the river.  That was a nice drive.  We got I-287 and took it down to I-78 which we took over to Easton, Pa to visit some friends.  The next day we slipped up to I-80 and headed for Mi.  Nice scenery along 80 too.  We got home at 12:30 AM Wed morning and I'm still playing catch up  ;D :)  We lucked out around NYC and the surrounding area.  We had a couple slowdowns around Newark and that was pretty much it  8) 8)  Southbound I-95 traffic was backed up from DC all the way to Fredricksburg.  Glad we were headed North  8)   

Mooseherder

How'd that conveyor pull? ;D

Corley5

It pulled great  8) 8) 8) 8)  DanGed glad to pull in the driveway here just the same  ;D

Gary_C

Good to hear you survived NYC. If you don't like that conveyor, bring it over to Minnesota. I've got just one customer that may want over 60 cords of firewood to heat his big truck shop.  :o

That splitting maul is getting old already and I've only got about twelve cords split.  ::)

I had to hold this post on my clipboard for a few hours while Jeff was messing with the software.  :D
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Ironwood

I do 78 - 287 - to 684 or 84 ALOT, it has worked well for me. Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Thank You Sponsors!