Sponsors:

Tree of the day

Started by caveman, May 08, 2019, 09:21:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Southside

It's a Quixote bush? :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Don P

Ahh :D Stewartia, loblolly bay
Whoops googling, got the cousins confused, gordonia lasianthus, loblolly bay

caveman

Winner, winner, chicken dinner.  Loblolly bay.  We may get out of the swamp for today's tree.  Check back later.
Caveman

caveman

Today's tree of the day pictured here may be several years old already.

New growth on a lateral bud.

This tree was under attack by pine sawflies.  This one lived, while the 125 year old one on my side of the fence died after the hurricane and pine sawfly infestation. I thought it might have a chance until I noticed the ambrosia beetle dust accumulating around the base.

These were some JMoore and I cut on a house lot.  Notice the size of the twigs and that the needles grow at the end of the them.  The needles are three to the fascicle.

It may be tough to see but the bark is very flaky and that is one of the features that enables this species to be very fire tolerant.  Coincidently, it also provides a great habitat for scorpions.

This tree may have endured a lightning strike.
Break out the diesel fuel to keep the blade clean and sawing relatively flat.

I do not expect it will take long for this tree of the day to be identified.  
Caveman

curdog

Definitely moved out of the swamp for that one.... one of my favorites..

Magicman

Those logs look too long for the trailer.  ;)

Sawed some of that last week.  ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Southside

I long for the day I can leaf pine like that laying around my mill yard. 
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Don P

That tree has heart :). In my oldest books of pine strength values this is the granddaddy, oldfield pine isn't even listed.

Magicman

Nothing else can hold a candle to it.  :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Woodpecker52

Took a core sample on some 7 inch dbh longleaf that was on a ridge  around Tuscaloosa Ala.  That tree was over 150 years old and solid resin.  Also saw a block of the heart used as a foundation stone on direct soil contact under a 160 year old home, Termite proof, also will make a dandy torch just plain exposed resin heart.  Makes nice wood for building but treat it like gasoline soaked wood as a fire hazard.
Woodmizer LT-15, Ross Pony #1 planner, Ford 2600 tractor, Stihl chainsaws, Kubota rtv900 Kubota L3830F tractor

caveman

Yesterday's tree was longleaf pine or Pinus palustris.  

Today's is another pine.

The picture above is of a young tree and the pine webworm's house constructed out of frass.  

This is the pine webworm.
Caveman

WDH

I very strongly suspect that the needles are in fasciles of two and three and the cone is a bit shiny. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Southside

The lead guitarist for GN'R wrote a song "Sweet Pine of Mine" about this tree, but the other hit the band had overshadowed it and it never really took off.    :D
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Don P

What kind of song would Slash name Elliot ???

caveman

Be careful, one could end up in a Snake Pit.

Banded water snake eating blue tilapia beside the pond where our logs are stored awaiting sawing.  

Back to the tree of the day.  The south Florida variety also has a grass stage like the longleaf and was also important to the naval stores industry back when there were no "Welcome to the Sunshine State" signs, more like "Welcome to the Jungle".
Caveman

caveman

Slash Pine (Pinus elliottii).  Tomorrow morning I will try to post another while my coffee is brewing when I get to work.  I think it will be something from south of the equator.
Clue: enigma
Caveman

caveman

If the needles, cone, and trunk look sharp, it is because they are.  These are not native to the U.S. but they do have a broad range here.
Caveman

Ianab

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Araucaria_araucana

Yup, its a Sth American  species. We have it here in NZ.

Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Ljohnsaw

Yeah, Monkey Puzzle tree.  Had one attack me when I was walking along a sidewalk.  I was looking down at the weird "leaves" on the ground when a low branch bit the top of my head! :o
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

caveman

Today's tree of the day.  On a lot of the ones I come across, they often have sooty mold and mealy bugs on their leaves.  
Caveman

caveman

Has summer teeth along the margin, at least on some leaves. 

Caveman

caveman

Sugarberry or Celtis laevigata.  
Caveman

caveman

Well, the one I tried to post today did not so I will try a different one.  

The leaves are alternately arranged.  From the name one might expect it to be from La. 
Caveman

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

caveman

It is native but not to Ga.  It would probably not make it in my neck of the woods due to occasional cold weather.  It will grow along coastal areas and south.  I have never sawn one but have seen a lot of them.
Caveman

Thank You Sponsors!