iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

couple pics... post what your currently cutting

Started by RunningRoot, January 27, 2015, 08:41:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BargeMonkey

Ever have a job you grow to hate ? this is the one, cant get it done fast enough and now the snow and real cold is coming. Just keep smashing out wood, not high dollar CTL production but I will take it. 

I will quit logging if I had to go without a stroker. 

I've got 1 more round of cutting and get her out to the road, quite a ways in and want her out before the snow comes, get her in the shop then I've got 2k+ ash on this next job 5mins from home to mow down next week. 

Skeans1

Here's a short clip from this morning playing with some red alder in between fir patches.
1270 thinning - YouTube

nativewolf

Just a few pics from my phone

Some big red oak that needs to come down, followed by some ponsse pics from the trip to Alabama, long drive back right now.  Just about out of TN. That ponsse pic is a 31" yellow poplar in a h8hd head.  It cut that without issue but that is about limit without getting fancy.  Have a few videos but do t so you tube so not sure if we'll post those.  

The ponsse elephant with the k100 had all it wanted with a 30" diam 18' butt log from a nice wo.  That was a big question I had.  Could a forwarder manage a 36" ro butt log.  I think it can but that is going to have to stay 12 or 14'.
Liking Walnut

nativewolf

Sorry bout double oak pic, 24" bar on that saw; just a landing saw for scale.
Liking Walnut

nativewolf

Quote from: mike_belben on January 12, 2019, 10:55:31 AM
Yeah, daycab freightliner and a 48ft dorsey spread.  I shuffle big slabs of shot rock from quarry to quarry for breaking, bring in fuel to each site, take out palletized rock, bring that elsewhere to build loads that i deliver to greater atlanta, NC, SC etc. Busy busy.  All the laborers are mexican and theyre reliable.  The drivers are white and turn over alot.

Been in a few pine plantations now and a lot of commercial timber sites, it makes sense to quarry the bluff edges after clearcut. You already put the road in to timber it so now lease to a rock operator and get your moneys worth.  The big landowners are sawlogs to HW pulp to planted pine in a generation or two.  Stave oak is a private farm edge thing wherever you can find it and the supply will probably be running out as we go.  I shudder to think someday it might be plastic whiskey barrels full of chipped hickory! All i see in these places is tiny timber.
Mike it is interesting that they are having to put processing heads on the decks for Canadian owners mills, might speed adoption.  Ponsse has 2 clients in ky one in fl and guy in Alabama.  But the cat in Alabama is the real deal.  Iconoclastic book worthy guy.  We saw a ton of wo.  On the site we visited it was being cut to be replaced by long leaf.  The soils  damage from the tracked up machines was so minimal it was impressive.  Couldn’t find a jd processing doen here.  Still looking.  Delimbing knives good to 4-6 inches on wo.  Easier to cut up big crowns.  
Liking Walnut

mike_belben

i think i will be trucking pulp and pallet out of bowater ground in a few weeks. Will keep my eyes peeled for fancy iron. 
Praise The Lord

barbender

Nativewolf, those Elephant machines have a bigger crane (K121 I think) available now, the 100 is the same crane I have on my BuffaloKing.
Too many irons in the fire

nativewolf

yeah you sure wouldn't want anything smaller.  I wonder what the JD 15xx forwarder cranes are like
Liking Walnut

nativewolf

Quote from: mike_belben on January 18, 2019, 09:42:53 PM
i think i will be trucking pulp and pallet out of bowater ground in a few weeks. Will keep my eyes peeled for fancy iron.
in Alabama the market for hardwood pulp is simply crazy.  $68/ton.  Mills are desperate the swamps
are flooded, hills too wet for guys that are not WV mountain boy.  Actually saw pockets of really nice timber.  
I could see mills paying a good bit for pulp even as far away as you are Mike.  Have you looked at that?
Liking Walnut

Skeans1

Quote from: nativewolf on January 19, 2019, 08:33:40 AM
yeah you sure wouldn't want anything smaller.  I wonder what the JD 15xx forwarder cranes are like
The 1910 would do you better, or an elephant king but both weigh as much or more then my 1270 heck dang near what a Timbco does without a load on.

mike_belben

No i havent but ill ask when i meet the owner.   

I think it may be a contract hauler and maybe cutter for a certain mill.  I dont know much yet.

It must be high tho cuz i see constant pulp trucks lately, 3x more than usual.
Praise The Lord

Skeans1

Found this the other day looks like a factory frame extension and if those are 8' that'd be dang near 24' of bunk.

barbender

Man that's a lot of load capacity! I don't know what the Ponsse Elephant and Elephant King weigh. I think my BuffaloKing is pushing #45K empty tracked up, iirc. Imo, having one of the bigger machines without the big new crane (that 121) would be a bit of a waste unless you had really long skids. You can get a K100 on a regular Buffalo, our last new Buffalo has the 100 crane and a 420 grapple (same setup as my BK, the operator wanted that after I let him run mine for a day😊)On short skids I don't think that machine could move pulp faster than mine, my forwarder starts to shine on the medium and long skids where the extra 3 cords I get on each load really add up. The new 121 crane comes equipped with a 520 sized grapple, which really wouldn't benefit you if you're swinging logs all day- you'll grab more than you can lift. For pulp though, it would be a wood slingin' machine!
Too many irons in the fire

chevytaHOE5674

30" of cut is about all you will get in a single pass since that is all the bar length is on most of the different larger dangle heads. That H8Hd head will certainly cut larger than that with multiple cuts, you won't be able to grip them and hold them but you can cut and push. Then once in the ground you can move the head around the tree and buck them that way.i

Big heavy logs like that is where a timbco/timberpro style forwarder will shine, those machines have a whole lot more lifting capacity than the smaller "euro style" machines. Seen a timberpro forwarder with the short buncher boom on it lift up a bridge that weighed something like 20k lbs, no way any euro machine will come anywhere close to that.

nativewolf

Those timberpro things are just tooooo big.  The size ponsse we're looking at are about as large as I can imagine trying to use in a hardwood selective cut.  The elephant was about 40k lbs empty.  Tiger cats harvester was something like 78k lbs so basically a euro style machine with timberpro weight.  

I tested a 1910, had a chance at it used, nice machine but I was still in thunking mode and my powder was not ready.    
Liking Walnut

chevytaHOE5674

Plenty of guys running timberpro machines in selective hardwood cuts around here. I drove a 6w timberpro processor around and it was really no different than the Ponsse Ergo I always ran. If you need lots of crane lifting and swing power that is the machine for the job. Overall size really isn't any different than a comparable "euro style" machine, they "look massive" because they are bulky up top, they are indeed heavier but that is the trade off to have twice the crane ability. 

Skeans1

An elephant on the ponsse site shows just shy of 50k not much difference in weight there. 

chevytaHOE5674

And a timberpro 830 is just short of 60k lbs so not much different.

A ponsse K100+ crane will lift something like 2200lbs at full 31' reach. A timberpro at 31' will lift almost 3x that. If your constantly handling big wood that capacity would be awesome.

nativewolf

Quote from: nativewolf on January 19, 2019, 04:34:18 PM
Those timberpro things are just tooooo big.  The size ponsse we're looking at are about as large as I can imagine trying to use in a hardwood selective cut.  The elephant was about 40k lbs empty.  Tiger cats harvester was something like 78k lbs so basically a euro style machine with timberpro weight.  

I tested a 1910, had a chance at it used, nice machine but I was still in thunking mode and my powder was not ready.    
I'm content getting a few loads out a day as long as the site looks good.  
Liking Walnut

Skeans1

Quote from: chevytaHOE5674 on January 19, 2019, 05:08:22 PM
And a timberpro 830 is just short of 60k lbs so not much different.

A ponsse K100+ crane will lift something like 2200lbs at full 31' reach. A timberpro at 31' will lift almost 3x that. If your constantly handling big wood that capacity would be awesome.
I see they got rid of the 810 that would of been about perfect.

Brian w

I finally got the chance to work for a couple of days. Been to wet most of the winter.

nativewolf

Glad you got some logs hauled @brian w .  It was cold and frozen when we traveled to alabama, got back this morning and it hit 33 and is raining cats and dogs.  yep, that kind of year.

Liking Walnut

Lumberjohn

Skeans I see your in the PNW. How old would you say that timber stand is, in your last picture posted? I was just wondering about growth rates out there.

Skeans1

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

Thank You Sponsors!