iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl MS 270

Started by Leo, March 18, 2003, 03:50:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leo

Am in the market for a new chainsaw, anyone have the Stihl MS 270 and if so, what is your opinion about the saw. I have thought about the MS 260 Pro, MS 280 & 270 and possibly the 360 Pro. Thanks

Oregon_Rob

270 & 280's are very new, and I have not seen any real feedback from any of the saw sites. This is just a personal preference, but I don't buy the brand new models of anything, (software, saws, toasters...). I let someone else do the testing and if results look good, then I might try it!
What are you going to be doing with the saw and how large and what types of wood do you intend to cut and how often?
Chainsaw Nerd

Leo

Oregon Rob,

Thanks for the reply. I would use the saw for felling, delimbing and bucking pine wood here in the Bull Mountains in Montana. The size of 4" up to 24" and mostly on weekends and on a neighbors 100 acres next to my folks place.
Been doing research on the 260 & 360 standard and pro series and am leaning towards the 260 (Stihl). Though I'd get an opinion on the 270 series, if anyone had one.

jokers

Hi Leo, alot depends on how much felling and bucking of 24" pine you plan on doing. It`s my opinion that the 260, 270, and 280 are all too small for regular work with that size wood, you`ll just end up frustrated. I generally like the smallest(lightest) saw that will handle the task with ease, but 24" is more like 60cc territory. I know very little first hand about these new Stihl models(270 + 280) but have been told that the 270 is a 15,000 rpm saw to go head to head with the Husky 346 which is not the best choice for larger diameter wood. Russ

J Beyer

The 260/360 Pro models are the same as the 026/036 Pro models with  possibly a few hidden updates but look the same.  I have the 036PRO and love it for most of my cutting.  24" stuff and the 066 comes out.
"From my cold, dead, hands you dirty Liberals"

wiam

I have been using a new MS260 pro at work and it seems under powered.  Way less than my 029.  The 260 came with an 18 inch bar that is too much bar for the power.

William

Leo

Thanks for the input gents. I have been researching the 362XP and the 365 models from Husky. I will continue to research until my eyes hurt!! I dont buck 24" pine often, but it is there, it is usually less than 18". So that is why I was asking.

Again, thanks for the input, I appreciate it.

Leo

Mark M

I have a MS 260 Pro with a 16 inch bar. It seems to work pretty well, is light weight, and I like it. I think anything longer than 16 might be pushing it a bit.

Mark

IndyIan

I've got a husky 372xp with a 16" bar.  I believe it hardly weighs any more than the 362xp.  It is a bit heavy for limbing and the little stuff but I try and work on my limbing technique, leave the saw on the tree, keep the saw close to my body, etc.  The saw does like ripping through 14-16" white pine though, fast and sounds nice! 8)

From what I've heard the husky's tend to rev up and down quicker than the stihl's, so limbing is faster and safer.  I've never used a stihl myself so that might be worth checking into yourself.

Also the filter system on the husky works well, takes quite a while to get dirty.    
Anyways, I think any husky or stihl 60-70cc's will keep you smiling  :)  

Patty

I use a Husky 136 with a 16" bar. It is great for small jobs...lite weight and easy to use. When we have a huge tree to fall Norm gets out the Stihl 036. Team effort ya' know. ;)
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

J Beyer

I never had any complaints when using either a 16" or 18" .325 pitch bar/chain combo on my 025.  The 026/MS260PRO should be using .325 for best results.

JB
"From my cold, dead, hands you dirty Liberals"

madcow

MS270 is not for profi users, in europe belong to the "farm boss" type.

260 is for pro users but is more expencive and less weight

Davide

Thank You Sponsors!