iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Has anybody ever used on of these?

Started by whitepe, April 09, 2003, 12:56:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

whitepe

blue by day, orange by night and green in between

Rob

I have never used or even seen something like that before but it is a very good idea and by the looks of it a good product to have..

Later Rob.

beenthere

Is this for real, really?    ???    ???

Other than remembering something about a horror movie where chainsaws were used, I have never heard of someone accidentally (or on purpose) causing harm with one. Or is it simply so someone can't use the saw after stealing it?  Stealing a saw with this on it would not keep someone from just adding a new rope-pull on it. Not surprising it is English.

Alas, I must be missing something here. ???   Won't be the first time you guys lost me though, and I hate to admit that. ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

WV_hillbilly

It looks like something to lose or get broken on the way to the job. ;D Then what would you do ? Go home to get spare saw. >:( . It looks like a gadjet to seperate you from your money .
Hillbilly

Rob

Yeah you guys are right maybe I spoke too soon it does look like something that you could lose the keys to and then what do you do... ::)Maybe it's not such a great idea afterall..

Rob

Oregon_Rob

Don't let OSHA see that thing, or every saw will have one! :o
Chainsaw Nerd

beenthere

Rob
Don't take it too hard. It lends new twist to the saying "Have saw, will travel".   ;D

I wouldn't be surprised if someone didn't half expect our brave men and women in Iraq to have to have trigger locks on their weapons. Obviously they didn't keep them on there long!  (I noted the comment on FOX news about the young girls we released from an Iraqi prison, some who have been there over 5 years just because they didn't agree with the Regime. If we hadn't stopped by, they would still be there being tortured and raped!). It will now be a miracle to establish a ruling body there, but hopefully its better than the last ruler.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Oregon_Rob

That's OK, I'm a firm believer in miracles!

Psalms 77:14
You are the God of miracles and wonders!
        You demonstrate your awesome power among the nations.
 8)
Chainsaw Nerd

whitepe

When I made the original post I didn't notice that
the gadget came from the U.K.   But knowing that
now I understand why they came up with it.
Petty theft is a huge problem in the U.K.
I have read several British motorcycle magazines and
nearly every issue had articles about anti-theft devices.

Since most law enforcement folks don't carry guns
in the U.K. it makes for pretty brazen petty criminals.

I got a first hand glimse of the problem a year ago
in Peterborough. I was staying at the Orton Hall Hotel
and my hire car (that's a rental car for you U.S. folks)
was one of 17 cars that had their windows smashed
in order to get into the boot (that's the trunk) to steal
anything they could get their hands on. I had left two items
in the trunk overnight.  An umbrella and a WOODMIZER
baseball cap. Neither was taken.  Boy was I relieved that I still had my WOODMIZER cap.     ;D ;D ;D

AndysMagicFinger

???
Hmmmm.... seems you guys have the wrong(?) impression of life over here in the UK....

I agree petty theft is a problem - but the impression we brits have of your lives over in USA, is that you have a crime problem too.

I truely think it is down to the sort of neighbourhood you live in.  I live in a rural are in the middle of UK called Shropshire - couldn't wish to live in a more lovely place.  However... all I have to do is drive 45 miles down a  motorway and I am in a major city with all the attendant crime problems - such as car windows being smashed for anything 'nickable' all the way up to gangland shootings (although mercifully very rare..)
it's STIHL wet here......

Tillaway

Hi Andy
I was under the impression you needed a certification or something to own or operate a chainsaw in GB.  Any truth to that?
Making Tillamook Bay safe for bait; one salmon at a time.

isawlogs

Give me a break please it's bad enough that i have to lock up my gun's with a triger lock then put them in a locked cabinet put the shell' in another locked cabinet  If those guys that came up with the gun laws hear of this i'll be buying more cabinets...one for the sawsssss with starter locks and one for the gas  ...... :'(
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

whitepe

AMF,

Sorry if I left the wrong impression.  Yes indeed we have
a huge crime problem here in the U.S. as well. In particular
violent crime is a big problem but most of that is related
to gang turf wars fighting over drug markets.  It is unfortunate
that my impressions of the U.K are tainted by my own personal experiences and based on comments from my colleagues at CAT-PERKINS. Another impression is based on the observation that about half of the folks who work for CAT-Perkins in Peterborough use The CLUB to lock the steering wheel of their auto.  The use of the CLUB is almost
non-existent here in central Illinois but it is used quite
frequently in the San Diego California area. This is also
based on a personal observation. I do agree with you that the U.K. is a lovely place and I would love to go back sometime
with my wife and visit the countryside. I live in a rural area
here in Illinois and even here we have crime problems.
I have frequently directed deputy sherriffs who drive
to my house by mistake with arrest warrants for the
teenaged neighbor kids who live about 1000 meters from me and who have done several crime
sprees in our rural area.  Once those kids spent several
months behind bars, they cleaned up their act.

I am also ashamed as an American because we are perceived
by events such as the unabomber and by the guy who bombed the federal building in Oklahoma City and by the shootings at Columbine High School in Colorado.  

Another observation I made from travels to Japan is that
they have almost no petty crime.  In fact, at the hotel
I stayed at in Akashi,  most Japanese folks stored their
suitcases in the hallway as the rooms are quite small.
Japanese society is based on honor and it is a huge
social faux pas for someone to steal something.

:) :) :)

AndysMagicFinger

Re Certification.... :P

Two answers.... In order to buy and own a chainsaw - no problem no need for a certificate.  Chainsaws are available all over the place - just walk into the shop and buy one.  If it's for your own use then you can use it whenever and wherever you like. :)

However - if you wish to use it professionally then in order to comply with  health and safety regs, you need to be certificated - by our NPTC regs.  These start at 'Basic chainsaw maintenance' and progress up through climbing with chainsaws to dealing with multiple windblows...  If you want to be insured in your business then there ain't no chance without some sort of NPTC certs to your name.  

The cert is a bit like a credit card - all your details, plus a natty little photo of you laminated into it..  ::)

Also - we have to be seen to be wearing chain proof leggings/trousers, type 2 or 3 chainsaw boots, chainsaw proof gloves/mitts and a set of ear muffs, helmet and visor - the HSE also like us to wear additional eye protection underneath the visor! - all that would be fun in the heat of Florida etc..   :D
it's STIHL wet here......

Tom

Do they make you work on the engine if you drive a Hack?  :D

Tillaway

Making Tillamook Bay safe for bait; one salmon at a time.

Thank You Sponsors!