iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Fake Carriage Doors

Started by iffy, October 20, 2011, 03:52:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iffy

I built a new log sided garage to complement my new log home and just didn't like the idea of painted doors on a log-sided building. Probably a year before I built the garage I found a pair of used insulated doors w/openers in the size I wanted, so bought them for less than half of new price (they were only a couple of years old). Decided I wanted them to look like carriage doors, but since the cost of ready made fake carriage doors was horrendous, set out to convert the existing doors.
I was going to use 1 x something tongue and groove for the door planks, but then found solid pine t&g panel boards in the big box stores and they were only 5/16" thick! That would save a lot of weight. Also, they came in 8' lengths and my doors were 9 x 8, so another plus. Even managed to catch a few bundles on closeout price. Retail was about $15 per a 14 sq ft bundle.
First, I laid the door panels out in the proper order on planks and sawhorses. I bought a new 40 tooth blade for my circular saw and made a trial cut in scrap wood. Then measured the kerf and went looking for spacers of that thickness. My son in Colorado came to the rescue and told me a guy he knew that builds those doors out there uses popsicle sticks for his spacers. They turned out to be just the right thickness. Put a stick on each end and in the middle between panels, then clamped the panels down snug with a ratchet strap on each end. Made sure all the panels were aligned on the ends.
Bought a bucket of outdoor carpet mastic and a notched spreader and spread an area wide enough to do one bundle. The panels went on very well. I used a brad nailer with 18 ga x 1 ¼ brads to nail it down. Tried to drive the brads at an angle so they would hold better. By putting the boards on in 8' lengths the grain structure will flow from one panel to the next, which will help disguise the cut line when you cut the panels apart.

After the door was completely covered, I set my circular saw at 20 degrees (most any angle would work) and sawed in a direction that would allow the long point of the angle to face down on the outer surface of the board. Carefully measured and then clamped a piece of angle iron on for a fence, then sawed the panels apart at the hinge joints. After sawing I removed the popsicle sticks and reclamped the doors so they were all aligned properly.

Using the same angle on my miter saw, I cut 1 x 4's up to make the fake frame for the carriage doors. Again, I used a single board on each side piece and angle brace so the grain would flow. One must measure carefully here so that the joint pretty much aligns with the joint in the planks. These pieces were nailed on with a finish nailer with 15 ga x 1 ½" nails. I spaced the vertical boards in the center of the door with popsicle sticks again to create the illusion of a gap between the two doors. On the outside edges of the doors I actually used a 1 x 6 and cut a kerf ½" deep with my table saw 3 ½" from the inside edge to make the illusion of a gap where the door would hinge if it were a real carriage door. Next came the stain and finish. I separated the panels so I could get stain and finish on all the edges too.

Any time you add weight to a garage door you must replace the springs with ones that are matched to the new door weight. I found a wonderful site on line to order the new springs from and their sales people are very helpful. The site was ddmgaragedoors.com. There are other sites out there, but I was very pleased with the sales people and they shipped very promptly. In order to place an order, you must know the weight of the door, right or left hand spring, radius of the track bend (12" or 15"), height of the door, and width of the door. To get the weight, I just put the track in place and stacked all the door sections as if you were installing the door. (note – the track must be set back from the door opening an amount equivalent to the added door thickness – in my case about 1") After the sections were stacked I used a come-along to lift the door enough to set a bathroom scale under it, then lowered the door onto the scale. After you get the right springs, door installation is just standard.

Of course, a carriage door needs hinges and handles, and the ready made fake hinges and handles were a little more than I wanted to pay, and I have a good supply of iron on hand. I took some flat metal about 12 ga thickness and cut out some hinges, drilled and countersunk them for screws, and then cut some 5/8" rod up for the swivel part of the fake hinge. Welded the parts together on the back side and ground the weld flush. Primed and painted black. The handles were ¼" x ¾" strap iron, which is the size I happened to have, and I bent them into a shape I liked, drilled and countersunk, primed and painted, and after a few screws was all done.

I didn't want to have a painted walk-out door so I gave it the same treatment. It had a window in it so that was a little trickier.

You will notice that I did not use that French word for fake anywhere in this article, because fake is fake and no amount of spelling changes makes it any better than fake. Yeh, I'm an old curmudgeon. Anyway, you can see the split lines at the joints on the door panels up close, but if we had a street, they would tend to disappear at that distance. Total cost of my mods: Around $120 per door for the wood, depending on whether you hit any sales or not. My cost was a little less because of sales. Springs were about $60 per door with shipping.

beenthere

iffy
That was an awesome job on the doors. My neighbor had something similar done, and much the same way and similar results. Really dresses up the home.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Brian Moore

zopi

Very nice work...was jist sitting here talking about doors to go on our carriage house...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

iffy

Thanks all. I just couldn't quite stomach painted doors on a log sided garage.

jueston

that looks amazing, you did great work. 8)

Brad_bb

Yes good work!  One question, when you open the walk in door, is the complete door covered in wood(and therefore you installed the hinges further back than normal)?  Or is there exposed edges of the original door showing when you open the door?
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

iffy

Did not do anything to the hinges. I just closed the door and traced around the jamb, and that put a line about 7/16" in from the edge of the door. Kept my wood cladding about 1/8" inside the line. So yes, when you open the door you see about 7/16" of the metal door around the wood. Seemed like it was easier to do it that way than mess around with the jamb and hinges.

Thank You Sponsors!