iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' ???

Started by Magicman, December 23, 2014, 12:00:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

Quote from: Crossroads on July 28, 2018, 10:47:49 PMI hope he has a long healthy career with GP. I had a lot of good years there, before the changes, good management is everything.....
Yup, this paper mill was St Regis before Georgia Pacific.  Of course it is now owned by Koch Industries and now has a two tiered pay scale, but for a young person looking for a job/career it ain't a bad deal. 

PA_Walnut, That is some purdy Maple.  smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Crossroads

Toledo is in contract negotiations right now (2 years and counting) and the 2 tier is on the table. Even though 2 sister mills about 150 miles north have it and it's not working. People come on as temp employees for say $16/hr and the only thing that comes out of their check is taxes. Then after 6 months of probation is over and they become a permanent employee, they bump up to $20/hr, but now insurance and union dues comes out of their check and they bring home less money. So, they quit. Ask him about the MBM guiding principles and %10,000 compliance 😉
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

PA_Walnut

Quote from: Magicman on July 29, 2018, 07:56:54 AMPA_Walnut, That is some purdy Maple.  

Thanks Magic. It's my very favorite material to saw...like opening a wrapped gift! ;D However, this time of year requires extreme diligence in getting it sawn, on sticks, drying in order to avoid staining. I do not even dead-pile coming off the saw to awaiting edging, etc. :o
I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Peterson Dedicated Wide Slabber
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

Crossroads

Do you have to use dry stickers PA?

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

PA_Walnut

Quote from: Crossroads on July 29, 2018, 08:29:21 AMDo you have to use dry stickers PA?

Oh my, yes! In fact, I use air-o-flow stickers so not much touching the wood. In this heat and humidity it'll stain overnight. On high-grade stuff like this, I will also rotate the material in the stack every couple days. Also, Fans...BIG ones on it. Logs get sawed immediately also.

Success is the reward of the diligent with summer maple--buyers want snowy white material.

Gene Wengert writes a 20-step instructional about drying white maple. It's words of wisdom for sure.

Hammer will give testimony to this regard also!

Good luck! (no, happy hard work!) ;) 
I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

WDH

If you turn your back to blow your nose down here with maple in this heat, it will stain before you can turn around.  Cannot turn your back on it. 

PA, about what is the value per bf of the curly, quartersawn, instrument grade maple once kiln dried and planed?
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Banjo picker

PA that maple looks like the neck on my banjo.  ;) Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

longtime lurker

this is going to be fun  - not.

Guys IT struggled with it, got one end on then pushed it down the truck

Legal but awkward. Got it home and old Bessie the yard loader picked it up and walked away like it wasnt there but she IS a big girl.

Dad inspected, then told me he was going to be sick when we slab it. Cant blame him either... its wider then it is high, going to be some weight in these.
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

Magicman

Apparently there is a reason that it was not trimmed back to the stem??  :o 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

longtime lurker

Wouldnt have lost much weight if we trimmed it, and it might have to lay in the yard a month before i get around to sawing it.. It'll need t be trimmed back then... but only the bare minimum to get it to fit. Better off leaving the leads as long as I can because it'll want to endsplit down them for sure.... and i wont be wanting to lose any of the main trunk to endsplits on this one, hes got "special" written all over him. Grains going to be crazy in there and i wont really know where I want them trimmed to until I see whats going on.

Another thing is having those leads long can help with positioning it, oddly enough. At that size we'll dig a hole to drop him in to get a Lucas over him for the initial cuts, pick the best face and roll 90° to put it "edge up" and take a few slices off him, flip it and do the other side until we've got him back to 5' wide, then present the best face to the mill and start seriously hacking at him. They tend to settle on the leads, or it makes a good place for positioning blocks to get him to sit right etc etc.

I've seen a lot of high value slabs turned into average value slabs over the years because people were too hasty swinging a chainsaw at the start, though personally if I'd been the logger I'd have taken them off at 2' long and whacked a lot of end seal on rather then leaving them as long as he did.
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

Magicman

Very good and your advice/experience will help someone else and maybe prevent them from being "chainsaw happy".  :)

PA_Walnut

Quote from: WDH on July 29, 2018, 07:26:40 PMPA, about what is the value per bf of the curly, quartersawn, instrument grade maple once kiln dried and planed?

It is generally by the piece and depends upon consistency of figure, color, defects, etc. But $20-30 or so. Wide bookmatches are more. Some are graded AAA and "Master grade" for the best of the best, which is priced $50-100 per piece which is less than 1 BF. :o
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

SawyerTed

Sawing 2x6, 2x8 from hickory, maple, red oak and white oak. Sawing some full size hickory and white oak 2x8 for side boards for dump trucks.

Pallet lumber milled from sweet gum.

Here's a hickory becoming 2x8s.

Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

paul case

Quote from: PA_Walnut on July 30, 2018, 11:41:19 AM
Quote from: WDH on July 29, 2018, 07:26:40 PMPA, about what is the value per bf of the curly, quartersawn, instrument grade maple once kiln dried and planed?

It is generally by the piece and depends upon consistency of figure, color, defects, etc. But $20-30 or so. Wide bookmatches are more. Some are graded AAA and "Master grade" for the best of the best, which is priced $50-100 per piece which is less than 1 BF. :o
I think I have probably sawn some of this material into $.60 bdft pallet parts without knowing it. Coulda been a millionaire!!!!
PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

trapper

Traded some 6/4 x12 ash for a bar top with my neighbor who is building a house  for eggs and some corn to lure the deer
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Crossroads

I had 2 beech logs laying in my field for the last 2 years trying to figure out what to do with them. Today I cut them up for my bil. Made some 4x8 4x12 and 8x8 that he'll cut into shorter pieces to make bowls out of. Sorry no pics but it had some nice color to it and some spalting in the first 18" on both ends. Getting the field cleaned up for the next owner to use it as a pasture. Only have about 10 incense cedar and one pin oak left and they'll probably go to firewood. 

trapper

Neighbor had just finished combining his wheat on my place.  He is building a new house.  I had a 5 foot white ash on the mill and asked  him to take a look at it and see if he could use it.  He said pretty grain.  I could use that for a bar in the basement. Took 6 6/4 x 12 to him. Told me he believes in the barter system.  I went home with a dozen eggs and a couple bags of corn.  This year our township made all the town roads atv routes  so more people are seeing the logrite trailer in use. 
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Larry

Quote from: Magicman on July 26, 2018, 07:20:19 PM

I moved the sawmill & trailer and depending upon a Grandson Tailgunner, am ready to saw Saturday morning.  I plan to saw it all into lumber for barn restoration on my property, primarily 2X12's.
You try out the cotton spindle lube?
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Larry

Quote from: Magicman on July 26, 2018, 07:20:19 PM

I moved the sawmill & trailer and depending upon a Grandson Tailgunner, am ready to saw Saturday morning.  I plan to saw it all into lumber for barn restoration on my property, primarily 2X12's.
You try out the cotton spindle lube?
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Magicman

Not yet, I am/was still using up the Cascade/water mix that I already had.  My next sawing will be using the Spindle Cleaner/Lube.

Lawg Dawg

Had a fellow bring me a cypress log to saw...made a WAD $$ off this one!  :D 

2018  LT 40 Wide 999cc, 2019 t595 Bobcat track loader,
John Deere 4000, 2016 F150, Husky 268, 394xp, Shindiawa 591, 2 Railroad jacks, and a comealong. Woodmaster Planer, and a Skilsaw, bunch of Phillips head screwdrivers, and a pair of pliers!

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

btulloh

That is a beast.  Must have been tough to handle.
HM126

Lawg Dawg

Quote from: btulloh on July 31, 2018, 07:10:35 PM
That is a beast.  Must have been tough to handle.
:D I had to use BOTH hands to turn it!
2018  LT 40 Wide 999cc, 2019 t595 Bobcat track loader,
John Deere 4000, 2016 F150, Husky 268, 394xp, Shindiawa 591, 2 Railroad jacks, and a comealong. Woodmaster Planer, and a Skilsaw, bunch of Phillips head screwdrivers, and a pair of pliers!

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

Tom the Sawyer

Just for information in case you want to try it out.  Cotton picker spindle lube, and cotton picker spindle cleaner are two distinctly different products.  The lube is a type of grease, many of them are bio-based.  The cleaner is a water-soluble oil based product that breaks down organic material and provides corrosion protection for metal parts.  That cleaner is what I have been mixing for my lube tank.
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

Briankinley2004

Quote from: Tom the Sawyer on July 31, 2018, 09:42:48 PM
Just for information in case you want to try it out.  Cotton picker spindle lube, and cotton picker spindle cleaner are two distinctly different products.  The lube is a type of grease, many of them are bio-based.  The cleaner is a water-soluble oil based product that breaks down organic material and provides corrosion protection for metal parts.  That cleaner is what I have been mixing for my lube tank.
Sounds like a cotton pickin mess if you mix them up

Thank You Sponsors!