iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

posted pictures of my sawmill construction progress

Started by bruce29, January 15, 2011, 01:19:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bruce29

I have been reading here & working on building my own sawmill for awhile now. I like to see other peoples projects so I thought I would post pictures of what i have done so far. I have somee more pictures that I have not got posted yet. My pictures are im my gallery, have a look & give opinions on any improvements I could make .

fishpharmer

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

terrifictimbersllc

Very impressive.  Must have been exciting to put that band on the first time.  Also nice to see that RJ42 just sitting there waiting. Is it going to be mobile?
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

bruce29

Yes it will be mobile . Going to start on yhe hydraulic log handling parts next week. I am not familiar with hydraulics , so hoping to ask lots of question on this forum.

b dukes

Looks good so far.   I want to build a bandmill when I get finished with the circle mill I am working on now.

buildthisfixthat

8)  thats one hell of a nice heavy duty saw nice work .when is the first log cut ? the only thing i noticed is the belt tension assembly its not spring loaded .may cause belts to slack under load and stretch quickly as with a loaded tenision assembly will compensate for slack....keep us posted sir
shop built bandsaw mill

Hilltop366

Kind of wondering if you are making any progress, your saw head lay out is similar to what I have drawn out of a possible build idea, I was trying to figure out how your blade tensioner works.

bruce29

my blade tensioner side is basiclly a hinge assy. the tensioning device is basiclly a pipe with a a force bolt pushing against a spring inside the tube that pushes against a plunger assy that protrudes through & pushes against the rear hinge plate.

bedway

If i understand your tensioning does that mean that that pulley will pivot? If thats the case, you might have difficulty keeping your band parallel to your bunks.

bandmiller2

Bruce,I'am impressed with your build especially with your frame.The double hinge is the same setup I used on my bandmill it moves such a short distance to tension the band it dosent affect the level base to band the guide roller handles it.I see your using an idler pulley as a clutch much cheaper than buying an expensive clutch,an overcenter that is adjustable is the best I've found.The two "B" series V belts should be enough.What are you planning to use for wheels on the saw head? Make everything heavy and make everything adjustable. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

bruce29

the arc of the whhel during tensioning is very slight. I was concerned with it when i first started looking at ways to tension the band, but after trying it it works great. any slight change in the band alignment is easily compensated for by the guide roller. I have more pictures that I haven,t got posted in my gallery. I will try to update soon . I have made alot of progress lately.

bandmiller2

Bruce,one thing I noticed thats quite important, the guards you built to cover the wheels should be wood or lined with wood if you have the clearance.As sure as the dawn will break  a band will come off the wheels and hit the inside of those guards.If the inside is a soft material it won't hurt the band teeth.I made mine from plywood being carefull where to locate screws,there are several grooves cut on the inside of the guards.Guards should be easily removable to help changing the band. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

bruce29

As of now my blade guards are all steel. I may line them with a thin flexable plywood inside.My guards are hinged in a manner that allows the whole wheel & bearing assemblies to be accessed quickly and easily. Each side is hinged to swing out to the side and completely vertical. I will try to post pictures of this soon . I really like this feature.

Magicman

On a properly aligned mill, you should not be throwing bands to require protection.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

bedway

Especially if you dont try to back out of a cut! Dont ask me how i know this :-X

roghair

Hi Bruce29, I am interested in your gallery but I think it is not available anymore... Is there a way to put it online again? I am also making a (simple manual) sawmill and think I can learn a lot from your experience.

The carriage/sawhead is ready for the moment, but now I have to decide on the track, logstops, logholder, toeboards etc. How is your experience with your mill now that it is ready??
built a sawmill

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

roghair

built a sawmill

Herb Brooks

Exceptional work!  Hope mine comes out half that good.  Love the Farmall Red!

Thank You Sponsors!