iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

7 year old walnut logs

Started by SawyerBrown, August 20, 2013, 10:00:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SawyerBrown

Got a message from a lady this morning, says she has 3 "large" walnut logs that have been laying in her driveway for about 7 years (long time to be driving around them!), all the "bark" is gone, but wondering if they're worth cutting into lumber.  Before I drive 100 miles to take a look at them, anybody got any advice on whether they might be worth something?  There was a string back in Feb [Never judge a log by it's cover - (more Ugg Lee log tales...)] where there was some REALLY nice lumber from 3-15 year old walnut logs, but is that the exception rather than the rule?  Advice on what questions to ask her? 
Many thanks, FF!
Pete
Pete Brown, Saw It There LLC.  Wood-mizer LT35HDG25, Farmall 'M', 16' trailer.  Custom sawing only (at this time).  Long-time woodworker ... short-time sawyer!

scsmith42

It's hard to say - I've seen old walnut that milled just fine, and old walnut that was junk.

Can you have her e-mail you some photos showing the ends of the logs?  That would help you to make a decision before making the trip.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

LeeB

Ditto on the pics. 100 miles for three logs is a long ways. They would have to be mighty special.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

beenthere

+3
There is a reason they have been laying there all this time. Either they are of a decent size and she wants a lot of money for them (find that out first before the trip) or they are simply too small, too crooked, too many large limbs cut off, or they are limb wood.
Does she want the lumber, or just rid of the logs?
A pic will help advising your decision.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

mesquite buckeye

I would try to get her to measure them or take a picture before even thinking about a trip that long for something that could be a waste of time. Walnut doesn't rot very fast is the good news. ;D
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

hackberry jake

Would that be 100 miles south roughly? like towards Arkansas?  ;D
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

SawyerBrown

Quote from: hackberry jake on August 20, 2013, 11:44:42 AM
Would that be 100 miles south roughly? like towards Arkansas?  ;D

Hack, I wish!  No, it's more like heading toward downtown Chicago.  Can't wait to pull a 4000-lb mill through rush hour traffic! ::)
Pete Brown, Saw It There LLC.  Wood-mizer LT35HDG25, Farmall 'M', 16' trailer.  Custom sawing only (at this time).  Long-time woodworker ... short-time sawyer!

SawyerBrown

Thanks everybody.  I've asked for some pix, including ends of the logs, and I'll post when I get them.  Just for clarification, I believe she wants the lumber herself ...

drobertson

sb, I cut just last year a 6 year old, big ole tree, the butt had metal, the second log was fine, very solid with the expected dote around the edges,  definitely worth a look see,  david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Finn1903

I cut up a black walnut that was down for a while, turned out to be really nice wood, but I hit atleast one nail per pass in the trunk.  I ended up leaving the blade on until I stopped hitting nails, then I put on a fresh resharpe to finish up the cant. 

• If it is free, they have a way to load it onto your trailer, and you have the time to get the log, then I would go for it.
  • If she wants money for it, then I would offer to mill it for her (at your mobile rate plus blades that hit metal), and she can sell the lumber.
WM LT40HDD47, bunch of saws, tractor, backhoe, and a loving wife.

beenthere

If "lumber for herself", then you don't need to worry about their "worth".
Figure out your time, your mileage, and what the trip is "worth" to you. Charge her by the hour after your other expenses are covered in the "set up" charge. Let her know you'll saw up whatever is there, with money in advance.

In the end, doubt it will be "worth" it to her. ;) 
Nor you, if she doesn't see any good lumber coming from her walnut logs and refuses to pay. ;) ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Magicman

I just this morning quoted a price for sawing one Oak tree 120 miles away.  I am scheduled to saw a job beginning later this week which is 130 miles away.  The sawmill has wheels.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Finn1903

Here are some pictures from a black walnut I cut that was down for some time.  Nice grain pattern, and old square nail we found in the trunk. 

SawyerBrown

Quote from: Finn1903 on August 20, 2013, 02:24:18 PM
Here are some pictures from a black walnut I cut that was down for some time.  Nice grain pattern, and old square nail we found in the trunk. 

Wow, nice stuff, Finn!  I assume when you say you "found" the square nail, it was the hard way?  :D

SawyerBrown

OK, the "large" walnut logs turned out to be 13-14" in diameter and a little over 7' long.  I'm going to attempt to attach some pictures ...  The one in the middle is a crotch log.  Looks like a lot of messing around for 100-150 bd-ft at the most.  What do you all think?

beenthere

Looks like it would be worth a shot at it. What is there to lose?

Ahhh! Whoops,  just recalled, she wants the lumber for herself.

Didn't hear what these logs were going to cost you, in $$ or in time/effort/mileage.

Guess you will give her an estimate of milling them.
Would like to see the pics of them opened up. Are you game?
south central Wisconsin

mesquite buckeye

Small and degraded. Will be lots of waste. I would talk to her about a minimum charge and then so much an hour until she thinks it isn't worth cutting anymore. Start with the best log and go down from there. That way she can make the call when to quit and your butt gets covered so you don't just waste your time.
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

scully

Better looking than the logs I just milled for a guy ! I almost puked when I pulled up and saw what he said were great logs ....... I did it ! 1 was a curly soft maple , but over all a bunch of real fancy fire wood ....
I bleed orange  .

Seaman

Got to be travel pay plus hourly rate, or your likely to get burned. My .02 worth.
Frank
Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

SawyerBrown

Well, the very nice lady wanted 'em done, so I went.  Actually turned out with some nice boards, once we got the 3 bizillion carpenter ants out of the nooks and crannies.  Cut the two straight logs into 4/4, then cut the two crotches in the other log.  She was happy, so I was happy! 8) 

Magicman

Dat looks good, and you even sawed it with the sawmill's travel pin still up.   :o   :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Magicman on September 15, 2013, 05:17:09 PM
Dat looks good, and you even sawed it with the sawmill's travel pin still up.   :o   :D

Thats a front stop Magic.  ;D

Good job Pete. Very nice lumber.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on September 15, 2013, 08:07:27 PM

Thats a front stop Magic.  ;D

Are you sure?

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

LeeB

Sure it is. Run in to it and see if you don't stop.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

GDinMaine

... even sawed it with the sawmill's travel pin still up.   :o   :D
Got a good laugh, but it really is one of my fears. I bound to leave that thing up some day.
It's the going that counts not the distance!

WM LT-40HD-D42

LeeB

How do you think I know you'll stop when you run into it?  ::)

SawyerBrown

Yeah, I thought it was too long anyway ...   :D  Man, nothing gets past you guys!  I'll have to screen my pix more carefully from now on.  Fortunately I didn't ruin any blades ... don't remember when I caught it but I did.  Guess I need a checklist like an airline pilot ...  ["Hey, Tony, did you remember to put the landing gear down, or was I supposed to do that?"]

fishpimp

Nothing gets by majic man.... He is the Mane!!! I've done it once myself!

Finn1903

Quote from: fishpimp on September 16, 2013, 03:12:33 PM
Nothing gets by majic man....
I said that same thing when I read the post! 
For some scrappy looking logs the lumber looks pretty darn good.
Nice job. 

maple flats

That's similar to the first log I ever sawed when I bought my mill. It was a cherry that had laid in my woods for about 15 years. The outside 1-2" was rotted junk, from there in was great looking lumber. After doing the log I got to thinking, I might have been smarter learning the mill on a lesser log and then tackled the Cherry, but that is all water over the dam at this point.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Thank You Sponsors!