iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I'm tapping into your experience.

Started by Bigbo1234, September 18, 2013, 10:06:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigbo1234

Hey guys, looking for some advice here. I was out cutting an ash on a main road and was approached by the owner if a pallet mill here in town. He said he wanted to talk so I swung by to see what's up. He wants me to cut a bunch of lumber but wants to pay in lumber. I could always use more lumber but don't know what would be fair. 40%, 50%? He has got some ash, white pine, hemlock and butternut. He wants it all 1". The reason he's reaching out to me is that he only has a scrag mill for making cants and a gang saw geared toward pallets, not lumber. I would prefer to do it all by the hour. I thought you guys would have something to say?
Bowen

pineywoods

I do a bit of sawing on shares, usually 50/50 split. A word of advice...share logs, not lumber. I make 2 piles of logs and he makes the choice of who get which pile. Works good for me, never had a complaint. But then I have a fork lift to move the logs around to make those piles. Sometimes we don't bother with the piles, just count logs.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

hackberry jake

https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Chuck White

It also depends on what the other guy does too!  ::)

If you do the cutting, skidding, bucking and the sawing too, then the split would definately have to be different!  :-\
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Bigbo1234

All I have to do is pull up and start milling.
Bowen

drobertson

pinewoods is right on track,  scale the logs, and take half, this is a 50/50 deal in most cases, but it really depends on what you plan on doing with the ash lumber,  is there a need, want, or market?  Nothing wrong with the barter system, it has worked for years,  david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

beenthere

Quote from: Bigbo1234 on September 18, 2013, 03:45:39 PM
All I have to do is pull up and start milling.
How do you plan to split the lot of logs?

And are you settling for half?  If so, half of what? Logs, lumber, or hours?

I too would suggest splitting the logs by an agreed on method.

Getting paid in lumber can work, but there are many pitfalls that can leave either of you feeling you are getting the short end of the stick. We do not want to see that be you.  ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

nk14zp

I agree with piney IF you go ahead with this I'd split the logs 50/50.
Belsaw 36/18 duplex mill.
Belsaw 802 edger.
http://belsawsawmills.freeforums.org/

5quarter

What they said. ;) I never split lumber, only logs. but I take my half first. and only when my customer has something I really want. make sure he's got something you need.
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

Thank You Sponsors!