iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Quarter sawn white oak ?

Started by CX3, July 01, 2018, 08:54:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CX3

Hey fellas I have a guy wanting some q sawn WO. He wants 10/4 and 6/4. It will all be 8ft. I was wondering how to price it. I can source the logs myself for 400 a thousand. Thanks. 
John 3:16
You Better Believe It!

Lawg Dawg

Quarter and rift, I'd say $2 bf green, true quartersawn like Yellowhammer does it...I'd charge $3, green. That some thick boards for quartersawing. What he using them for? And $400 a thousand for white oak big enough to quarter saw...sounds like a DEAL! I'd buy all I could :) Pictures?
2018  LT 40 Wide 999cc, 2019 t595 Bobcat track loader,
John Deere 4000, 2016 F150, Husky 268, 394xp, Shindiawa 591, 2 Railroad jacks, and a comealong. Woodmaster Planer, and a Skilsaw, bunch of Phillips head screwdrivers, and a pair of pliers!

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

CX3

I am the logger as well. So I guess 400 a thousand is what I need to log them. I'll have a little more hauling them to the house. I was going to use the woodmizer quarter/rift method. I was truly thinking 3 a foot for it. Yellowhammer is or at least I think he should be getting much more. I really hope he suggests something for me  
You Better Believe It!

CX3

I don't really know what the intended use is  
You Better Believe It!

Brad_bb

Probably double the price if it's dried.  
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

YellowHammer

High fleck quartersawn kiln dried white oak sells pretty fast for us, probably as fast or faster than FAS grade, flatsawn white oak.  Red oak flatsawn outsells our red oak quartersawn.  

Also, unlike flatsawn oaks, both red and white, where professional furniture makers prefer narrower boards for more stable glue ups, they prefer wide and ultra wide in quartersawn wood, and we sold some beautiful quartersawn boards Saturday that were full fleck, more than 18 inches wide and dead flat.  This customer had never seen quartersawn boards that wide and snatched them up as soon as he saw them, never even asked the price.  So price is very dependent on fleck, width and thickness, and we start at $6.50 per bdft for 4/4 less than 8 inch wide, and go up significantly from there as the boards get wider and thicker.    

High fleck sells well, low fleck OK but get high graded and picked through, and rift sawn is lumped in with the flatsawn.  We define high fleck as when a customer pulls a board they say "Wow!".    :o  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

PA_Walnut

Quote from: YellowHammer on July 01, 2018, 11:44:29 PMRed oak flatsawn outsells our red oak quartersawn.  

Interesting statistic. Is it a pricing or volume-per-sale thing? In other words are people buying flat sawn red oak due to the lesser price or is it that the flat sawn sells for projects that require more material? I'm assuming both.

My wife makes it easy for us...just makes pallets out of the nice quarter sawn! :o>:(

I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Peterson Dedicated Wide Slabber
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

WDH

I do not have much/any demand for QS red oak.  On the QS white oak, kiln dried and planed S2S, I am at $7.00/bf for 4/4 with good figure.  I am usually out of stock because when I get some ready, it sells pretty fast. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

PA_Walnut

Quote from: WDH on July 02, 2018, 07:29:54 AMI am at $7.00/bf for 4/4 with good figure.  I am usually out of stock because when I get some ready, it sells pretty fast.

What price tag should wide curly quarter sawn white have? I am about to get this into the kiln. May just go into my private reserve stock. ;D

I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

CX3

Guys I appreciate all this info. Post away. 
You Better Believe It!

scsmith42

Quote from: PA_Walnut on July 02, 2018, 10:10:31 AM
Quote from: WDH on July 02, 2018, 07:29:54 AMI am at $7.00/bf for 4/4 with good figure.  I am usually out of stock because when I get some ready, it sells pretty fast.

What price tag should wide curly quarter sawn white have? I am about to get this into the kiln. May just go into my private reserve stock. ;D

I have some that looks like that.  I don't show it to my everyday customers but will occasionally let a crafts person that I know is extraordinary to have a peek.
Mine starts at $16 bd for for this amount of curl and I won't sell it to anybody but an extraordinary artist is an.  Quite frankly i prefer not to sell it; as curly figure like that in WO is so rare.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

scsmith42

Quote from: CX3 on July 01, 2018, 08:54:04 PM
Hey fellas I have a guy wanting some q sawn WO. He wants 10/4 and 6/4. It will all be 8ft. I was wondering how to price it. I can source the logs myself for 400 a thousand. Thanks.
In my area, large diameter white oak grade logs sell for 700 - 1,200 per thousand.  So basically $1.20 per board foot in the raw log.
When quartersawing, typically I anticipate a 33% yield loss as compared with flatsawing.  So my 1K bd ft that I paid 1,200 for is now going to yield 650 bd ft for $1,200, or almost $2.00 per board foot.
Quartersawing requires a lot more time than flatsawing.  Typically I anticipate 3x to 4X more time.  So on the bottom end I'm at $1.25 per board foot for QS milling if it only takes me 3X the time.
So now we're at $3.25 per board foot, and we haven't even factored in profit.  Want a 40% profit margin?  That puts you at around $5.50 per board foot for green material if you own the logs.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

YellowHammer

That is some exceptional wood.  I just scored a nice curly white oak, but it won't be that nice.   

Scott is dead on, the numbers must add up to make any product worth selling.  Quarter sawing takes time, has more waste, and requires better, more costly logs.    

The nice thing about quarter sawing, or sawing for "extra" grade, i.e. trying to get the maximum figure possible out of a log, assuming the log has the chops to be worth it, is that sometime the results are better than expectations, and absolutly unique and stunning.  In those cases, price is very much based on demand and market forces, vs straight bdft.  For example, I sold some wood to a guy last month who was, as he said, "building a centerpiece table for a million dollar kitchen in a six million dollar house."  He walks in, shakes my hand and says "show me something I've never seen before."  Price never even came up.
YellowHammerisms:

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

WV Sawmiller

Question - when you start cutting 10/4 and such will you still have the fleck on both sides? I'd think you start losing the angle on the rings by the time you start cutting that thick.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

GAB

Quote from: YellowHammer on July 02, 2018, 03:57:36 PM
That is some exceptional wood.  I just scored a nice curly white oak, but it won't be that nice.  

Scott is dead on, the numbers must add up to make any product worth selling.  Quarter sawing takes time, has more waste, and requires better, more costly logs.    

The nice thing about quarter sawing, or sawing for "extra" grade, i.e. trying to get the maximum figure possible out of a log, assuming the log has the chops to be worth it, is that sometime the results are better than expectations, and absolutly unique and stunning.  In those cases, price is very much based on demand and market forces, vs straight bdft.  For example, I sold some wood to a guy last month who was, as he said, "building a centerpiece table for a million dollar kitchen in a six million dollar house."  He walks in, shakes my hand and says "show me something I've never seen before."  Price never even came up.
"show me something I've never seen before."
Do you have any pictures of what you showed this individual?
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Lawg Dawg

Quote from: GAB on July 02, 2018, 07:43:24 PM
Quote from: YellowHammer on July 02, 2018, 03:57:36 PM

"show me something I've never seen before."
Do you have any pictures of what you showed this individual?
Gerald
That's my same question...waiting for the rest of the story! 
John Deere 4000, 2016 F150, Husky 268, 394xp, Shindiawa 591, 2 Railroad jacks, and a comealong. Woodmaster Planer, and a Skilsaw, bunch of Phillips head screwdrivers, and a pair of pliers!

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

WDH

With the RRQS method, you can get good figure on both faces of thick stock.  However, one good show face is all that the finished project will show, so what does it matter?

My curl is not as nice as your curl, PA, still, I might need to raise my price.  :)
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

YellowHammer

I don't have any pictures, but the guy bought dark, deep ocean purple/gray, almost gun metal shiny, highly chatoyant, deeply reflective quartersawn and riftsawn  pieces of  8/4, pretty old growth, male persimmon.  They were QS due to through sawing.  In addition, A remarkable zebra stripe of pure black ebony flowed between the heartwood and the sapwood, much like a racing stripe.  The curl figure was fantastic and seemed to glow.  Amazing stuff.  He bought every board I had.       
YellowHammerisms:

PA_Walnut

Quote from: WDH on July 02, 2018, 08:33:21 PMMy curl is not as nice as your curl, PA, still, I might need to raise my price. 

It's the very reason that I saw, really...the ability to find the treasures that otherwise are near unobtainable since either they go into someone's personal hoard, or they aren't affordable. My own hoard is looking pretty good!  :D
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

WDH

This is the best persimmon that I have had the pleasure of meeting.  Beautiful figure, but not curly.

YellowHammer

That is amazing.  Those are truly one in a million boards.

When we see boards like that which are are so stunning, with such figure, we price them based on rarity, because there isn't anything to compare them to and they have no equivalent.

The people who buy these do so for the rarity and figure, and price is not a consideration.  For example, I had a remarkable set of curly walnut live edge slabs a few years ago that a guy just wandered in and bought, no fuss, no muss.  A few minutes later I saw him arguing with someone on the the other end of his cell phone, and he was getting pretty mad.  I asked him what was going on and he said his private pilot was complaining that the slabs were going to be difficult to get the onto his airplane!  Turns out he had flown in from Louisiana to buy them.

YellowHammerisms:

Lawg Dawg

I tried the reverse roll quarter saw method and really liked it, lot more yield than the regular way

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

barbender

Mercy! Those are some beautiful boards!👍
Too many irons in the fire

YellowHammer

YellowHammerisms:

WDH

I need some persimmon to RRRQS. 

Thank You Sponsors!