iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

cleaning a cbn sharpening wheel

Started by T A Derrickson, July 20, 2021, 05:59:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T A Derrickson

Howdy all,

I use a CBN sharpening wheel on my grinder to sharpen my chains that I use on my Lucas slabber.  They are usually really "gunked up" because of all the oil poured on them while in use.  Recently I've noticed by CBN wheel is taking on a lot of the gunk.  Wondered what is the best way to clean the wheel.

Thanks much?
Stihl MS880 & MS190 T  Husqvarna 339XP & 262XP  PantherPro 2 chainsaw mill    Lucas Mill model 8/30

kantuckid

Might consider a diamond wheel dresser? Mine is small cheapish tool that, at first look, sort of reminds you of an old double edge shaving razor.
 Chinese do good work huh? :D
I use it on my elec chain grinder and my white stone grinder too.   
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

mike_belben

If you think oil and goo is causing an issue Id try blue dawn dish soap and a toothbrush and see what happens.  Or brake cleaner, ether, stale gas, diesel etc. 

Is it not cutting good anymore?
Praise The Lord

BlacknTan

We used to use "Norbide" sticks (Norton Boron Carbide). Works on diamond impregnated also.

mike_belben

oh i totally forgot about the big clear rubber eraser thingies.  They are really good for cleaning a sander belt and exposing fresh sharp grit.  I cant remember where i got that thing.. Maybe MSC or enco. 
Praise The Lord

Real1shepherd

Those are usually at a lumber yard next to sanding belts and accessories.

Keep them away from the sun and chemicals. And if they don't have one, you can glue a long, paint stirring stick to them so your hands stay away from the running belt or sander pad. 

Kevin

kantuckid

I use a natural gum rubber 2x2 stick on my sanding belts and spindle sander- old one was bark tannish, newer one is nearly white.
Is that whats mentioned above? or is their something I need to learn here?
Lots of degreasers to talk about, depends on which direction you'll go. On my motorcycle forum it's a very worn out subject->degreasers.

mike_belben

Yes, thats the one.  No idea what itll do on cbn. 
Praise The Lord

kantuckid

FWIW, it's natural gum rubber as comes from a rubber tree. We had huge bales of it when I worked in Goodyear Tire plant. Small amounts were added to certain parts and formulas of the synthetic rubbers we made for tire & tube mfg..  They were still coming from caves in the 1960's & 70's, where they'd been stored for WWII. 
Stuff really works, for awhile...

Thank You Sponsors!