iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

little old skidders good bad ugly

Started by thenorthman, September 22, 2012, 11:57:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Okrafarmer

The chains should be ok, MM, just so long as you don't end up with more traction than structural strength.

International Harvester made some mistakes with a few of their bigger farm tractors and crawlers along the way, some of which mistakes probably helped them to head down the long road to company failure. Among the problem children were models 560, 806, and TD-24. The TD-24 was rushed into production to try to compete with Cat's D-8 and Allis Chalmers' HD-19. The D-8 had been in use a long time, but Allis was bringing out the HD-19 in 1947, and IH were behind the 8-ball. They were working in territory they were unfamiliar with, in terms of size and power, and unfortunately the drive train components of the TD-24 were not up to spec to translate that much power to the ground. Of course traction was never an issue, with the huge steel tracks, and so the poorly designed drive train, between the powerful engine and tractive tracks, was the link that snapped-- one machine after another, causing many woes for IH over the next few years.

Caterpillar crawlers of that era are fairly well known for their reliability. Rarely tore themselves up under their own power.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

redprospector

The thing about those little 440's is they are real tippy on anything other than a level parking lot. If you're going to get anything done with it in any kind of mountainous terrain......You're going to want some kind of weight in those back tires. Or you'll be buying new seats every few days from all the little holes chewed in them.  :D
I use winter blend windshield washer fluid in mine.

Andy
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

Thank You Sponsors!