iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Old single sided planer rebuild

Started by Quebecnewf, August 21, 2017, 05:25:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quebecnewf

No there was no need to sharpen them . The bungee cord puts a little downward pressure on them and that is enough to make them dig in . Another good point you can release them very easily.

Quebecnewf

Quebecnewf

Decided to move planer to sawmill site yesterday . Here it is all strapped on sleigh and ready for trip to sawmill

This is the hill we have to get over. Made it almost to the top , got stuck, hooked up second snowmobile and made it to the top .

Heading down the back side . Sawmill in the distance 

Tackling into the shed at the mill

All tucked into the new home . Ready to go to work come spring .

Quebecnewf 

Southside

@Quebecnewf  Great job there for sure.  Those blades look like the ones on my chipper!!!  Do you have any photos of the triangle stacking you use?  I have never seen that and am wondering if we could use it down here.  Thanks
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Quebecnewf

The triangle stacking is very simple . Lay three PCs of whatever your stacking in a triangle and just keep adding rows. You can , if you wish put 3 or 4 pcs in each leg of the triangle in order to get as much as possible in each stack before it gets too high .

The contractor who we made the stacks for in the pic ( 2x4x12)  had never seen this stacking system either. He was very impressed with the quality of the lumber and how dry and straight it was. Given the quality of the material being found at the big box stores now that is no suprise .

Quebecnewf 

Don P

That's called crib stacking and was actually pretty common back in the day with SYP in the south. End racking up here with hardwoods was pretty common too. There was a demonstration rack my neighbor set up a Mabry Mill years ago, it may be gone by now.

YellowHammer

Are those yellow counter weights on the long yellow arms on the bottom of the planer?  Are they for the downpressure feed rollers?  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Southside

@Don P do know if that dried SYP faster that our modern sticker stacking?
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Southside

Quote from: YellowHammer on February 25, 2018, 09:27:43 AM
Are those yellow counter weights on the long yellow arms on the bottom of the planer?  Are they for the downpressure feed rollers?  
Naa - that's just to give it some weight so it does not bounce around, you can see how flimsy that thing is.  
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Darrel

1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Don P

Quote from: Southside logger on February 25, 2018, 01:21:07 PM
@Don P do know if that dried SYP faster that our modern sticker stacking?
I don't know, maybe marginally more airflow but there's less support and a wider contact area at the ends. I think just like us they hated to make stickers . I've heard people say that end racking let the water drain out the bottom, ahhh right

Quebecnewf

We have the old planer set up at the mill now. We have been doing some spring sawing . Going to make the first planer run later today . Have about forty pcs. Of 2x4x12' that we are going to dress four sides.

This will be the first real trial of the old planer . Pic will be posted later tonight . 

I have rebuilt the old engine that came with the planer . Carb needed rebuilding . Many thanks to good guy from The Smokstak Forum ( angry sailor ) for the rebuild. Started the second pull and runs smooth and strong . 
Quebecnewf 

Quebecnewf

Here is the old engine . It's a Montgomery /Onan . Made in Brazil of all places. 

Around 10 hp I think 

Quebecnewf 

Quebecnewf

No pic today. Ran the planer a bit but having issues with the belt lashing that I used. Did manage to plane about 10 pcs. And that looked real nice.

Try again tomorrow with new lashing . Maybe pics tomorrow.

Quebecnewf 

Quebecnewf

Flat belt planer running after 18 years - YouTube

A short video of planer . Ran 50 pcs of 2x4x12 through it . Once I get all the belting issues sorted it's going to be a great machine. Ran these 50 pcs . Very smooth finish . Planes at a good clip . I was just keeping 2 pcs at a time in the throat but I am sure if I was wanting to you could easily run 3 pcs at a time . Very little vibiration this is where the 1000 lbs of weight comes into play.

Was a great thrill to see it run again . When I think back to how it looked at the first I am more than pleased .

Quebecnewf  

69bronco

Great job on the restoration!  Always nice to see old iron running again!

Quebecnewf

Very good chance that I will be getting another planer ( same name as the other ) to rebuild in the coming  weeks . Will post pics if I get the deal done .

Quebecnewf 

Quebecnewf

Other planer has arrived and the rebuild has started. Same name as the first one but 20" and a round head .

Planer is in much better shape than the first one .

This big old electric motor came with it .3 hp /220V . Runs real smooth but weighs 100 lb .

More pics to follow

Quebecnewf

Don P

I'd bet that is an honest 3 work horses. If you ran it I'm guessing its single phase 240 volt.
The planer looks about identical, was the round head stock or swapped out later? A round head produces a better cut if that factors into keeping one or the other.

Quebecnewf

First tore it down

Then painting and cleaning 

Then start rebuilding

Going to be an amazing machine I think .

QUEBECNEWF 

Darrel

8) 8)  8)
8) 8) LOOKS VERY AMAZING  8) 8)
8)  8)  8)
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Quebecnewf

<
br>

Got the old electric motor all cleaned and painted . Ready to work again . 

Quebecnewf 

Papa1stuff

1987 PB Grader with forks added to bucket
2--2008 455 Rancher Husky
WM CBN Sharpener & Setter

Quebecnewf

dustintheblood

Quote from: Quebecnewf on September 04, 2018, 06:57:34 PM

Rebuild going ahead

Holy crap I can't believe I've missed this thread!!!
I have to give you a standing ovation for what I've seen even though I've only skimmed this thread (it's 2am and I've been working all night recommissioning my kiln).
I cannot wait to read it in detail tomorrow.
Congratulations and great work!
Case 75C, Case 1494, RangeRoad RR10T36, Igland 4001, Hardy 1400ST, WM LT40HD, WM Edger, ICS DH Kiln

Thank You Sponsors!