iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Band wheels

Started by larrydown60, October 06, 2015, 11:27:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

larrydown60

Has anyone used the 19" band wheels from surplus supply?

dustyhat

Yes, i have , some say the wont work but they work great. put them on a resaw and another guy i know build his saw with them. i have no vibrations at all. there made with thick spokes. i would almost say there some brand of surplus band wheel. and there the cheapest you will ever find.

larrydown60

Thank you for the input. I will get a couple to see how they work. Thanks again

boscojmb

Quote from: bandmiller2 on June 01, 2015, 08:49:07 PMMy biggest expense was the two Browning 19" Vee pulleys. This is one place were you get out what you put in, careful build with good and heavy duty materials long useful life, cobbled together junk, not so much. Frank C.

Member bandmiller2  has be one of my mentors since long before the internet.
If he found it necessary to purchase the most expensive wheels, he did so with good reason.

John B.

Log-Master LM4

johnnyllama

If you're building your own mill, you might want to consider using trailer wheels/tires from from Tractor supply. Turner Mills over in Oxford NY has been building with them for many years, and they work very well. I have owned a Turner Mill for a couple years now and am very happy with it using these type of wheels. No water lube required when cutting, no blade breaks since I've owned it. You can fine tune blade tension with your air pressure. Just a thought.
Turner Bandmill, NH35 tractor, Stihl & Husky misc. saws, Mini-excavator, 24" planer, 8" jointer, tilting shaper, lathe, sliding table saw, widebelt sander, Beautiful hardworking wife, 2 dogs, 2 cats, 23 llamas in training to pull logs!!!

BCsaw

The wheels from Surplus work excellent. They are balanced and have had zero issues. My mill cuts straight and run my blade tension at 2700psi.
Inspiration is the ability to "feel" what thousands of others can't!
Homebuilt Band Sawmill, Kioti 2510 Loader Backhoe

beenthere

Quote from: larrydown60 on October 06, 2015, 11:27:23 AM
Has anyone used the 19" band wheels from surplus supply?

?? Surplus Supply ,    do you have a link?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

BCsaw

I assumed that he was talking about Surplus Center. ;)
Inspiration is the ability to "feel" what thousands of others can't!
Homebuilt Band Sawmill, Kioti 2510 Loader Backhoe

drobertson

Good deal on the wheels, no messing around with you for sure.  Just wondering, did they happen to give you specs on the TIR ,  run out on the wheels?  just curious,,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Wisconsintimber

I used the surplus center pulleys as well...seem to work great, they run true and the saw cuts very good.  I don't get the blade life that I was hoping for, but that may not be because of these sheaves???

Kbeitz

Aprox what do they sell for  ???
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

larrydown60

http://www.surpluscenter.com/Power-Transmission/Pulleys/Finished-Bore-Pulleys/18-75-O-D-1-7-16-BORE-1-GROOVE-PULLEY-1-BK190-J.axd

My mistake it is surplus center link above is the band wheels I am looking at. Thanks to every one for your Ideas and your help

Kbeitz

Ok ...
I was thinking they was real band saw wheels not pullies.
I got my real band saw wheels for Grizzly tools.

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

bandmiller2

Larry, those band wheels will work just fine. The way Wisconsin timber is set up is the best way, very ridged support for the wheel axles. I would have two "B" series belts to drive though, one "B" from the engine is not enough in a wide hard pull. The nominal  19" pulleys are fine and have been used for many years. If bands break early its usually due to misalignment or too much tension on the band adjustment. Running dull also doesn't due them any favors. Keep us posted. Frank C.  Oh as an after thought I like
a tight belt in the groove, less chance for belt damage if a band breaks or the band comes off the wheels.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Wisconsintimber

Yeah, mine was set up for 2 drive belts, but something must not have been aligned properly because when I would disengage the tightener, the two belts would "fight" against each other untill one would jump off...

I also like the belts tight in the band wheel pulleys.

As far as my blades breaking, they are cracking in the gullets usually after only 1 or 2 sharpenings.  I may be running them too long or dull, but they still cut good when I take them off.  I try to stay around the 2 hour mark on cutting time and then change, so I'm not sure???

bandmiller2

Wisconsin, have you tried many bands its entirely possible to get a bad lot of them, try a different brand. It sounds like a guide/misalignment problem. I usually get at least a dozen sharpenings from a band and have never had one break on my mill, they just run out of hard tooth. How do you tension the band your not over stressing it are you, too much tension will not prevent waves or deviation. Sharp and proper and even set will keep it true. From what I've seen of your mill it should cut along with most commercial mills. Its something simple keep at it. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Magicman

Even if they are still cutting, running dull blades greatly reduces blade life.  If the blade is warm, change it.  If it is hot, you should have changed it when it started to warm.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!