iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

mill upgrade

Started by jDal, September 05, 2012, 12:02:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jDal

Hi profs,

decided to finish the upgrade of my old mill. I have had this it for many years and now the motor broke and needs a replacement.

Have looked at Baldors, and found one on here that has compatible specs
https://mrosupply.com/product/23981-Baldor_Electric_Motors-Motors_AC_Motors_General_Purpose

it is 20hp, enclosure ODTF, 3ph and 256tc frame.. But the price is a bit high! do you think there is a a cheaper alternative?

Thanks for you comments

Magicman

I can not help with the ??, but Welcome to the Forestry Forum,  jDal.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Bandmill Bandit

My experience in electric motors is cheap is just not worth it.

Baldor builds a fine product.

in dusty conditions (ie sawmill)  I would definitely go to a totally enclosed fan cooled motor. they will out last a regular one by about 50% minimum. Well worth the extra $$ in the long run.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/search.shtml?searchQuery=20+hp+3+phase+moter&op=search&Ntt=20+hp+3+phase+moter&N=0&GlobalSearch=true&sst=subset
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Larry

Welcome jDal.  I think you will like it here.

You didn't say what is wrong with your old motor.  Bearings are an easy fix.  Motor wiring rarely fails without a reason.

One of the good things about 3 phase motors is that used motors can be found cheap.  Most companies junk there old motors and only buy new, leaving the field open for us scavengers.  Places to check are craigslist, industrial auctions, motor shops, eBay, and even junkyards.  Going price is $5-$10/hp.  You see higher asking prices but they rarely sell for that.  I had a 20 hp Baldor listed here on the forum for 6 months with nary a bite.  Sold it locally for $150.   

Whatever motor you settle on steer clear of foreign motors as they are built to a different standard.  Normally run hotter than USA motors plus they skimp on quality. 
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

hardtailjohn

Check on eBay...I bought my last NEW Baldor 20hp 3 phase for about $200.  If you're not in an emergency style hurry, there's LOTS on there and what you want will most likely show up very soon!
John
I'm so far behind, I think I'm ahead!

bandmiller2

Baldor is top of the line for motors,I had a 15hp given to me and it handles my mill no problems.As suggested find one used,and stay clear of the asian motors. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Bandmill Bandit

I didn't think of a rebuild but Baldor motors are definitely worth the rebuild.

Rarely need a rewind. Mostly bearings and some of the electronic controls stuff that is designed to blow to protect the windings. I'd check it out.

And the foreign imports? what every body else said! Unless you need an anchor for your fishing boat! :D
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

1woodguy

baldor makes a great  motor    They outlasted others I used
first time ii used them years ago was when a buddy that's worked for them in ft smith arkansas told me he could get me a replacement  motor for an old industrial table saw I had at the time ,voltage drop in the summer smoked a few things for me didn't know why at first .when I figured it out and complained repeatedly
electric co finally agreed I had problems and corrected it (it was their problems)
And my losses
Anyway I purchased afew that summer! :D
Experience is a rough teacher first you get the test later comes the lesson!

Thank You Sponsors!